Thread: What do you do when you feel a lurgy coming on...

Unhappy What do you do when you feel a lurgy coming on...

I'm not sure if I'm talking myself into feeling sick because there is a lurgy going around the kids, but I feel a tad hot and a little icky.

Just wondering if anyone can share with me what they do to try and prevent a lurgy from taking hold?

I don't got time to be sick right now!

I double dose at night on Lemsip Cold & Flu tablets and then take the other doses as normal (that is one set of night time and one day time before bed). Can only get them from coles & woolies and some health food stores. Most chemists don't stock them. It works every time and I even managed to get rid of a chest infection without antibiotics.

Olive leaf extract is really good!!!! (if you are BF though not best to take it). It's a herbal tonic you get from the health food stores. Immune boosting properties!

Well usually it's viral & we all know that you can't kill the old cold virus really just treat the symptoms.

Like Shanti I use olive leaf extract, high dosage vitamin C & garlic. I use raw garlic. I even put it in my socks and the kids socks!

I personally don't like over the counter meds but of course once it sets in panadol for the headache is good.

I hope you can stave it off.

I double my normal daily vitamins - most of the time it works, but I seem to only get stuff badly now ITMS. Like, at the moment, instead of just having the cold DH had, I've got a chest infection, some funky migraine thing (2 1/2 days now, normally only 1) and oral thrush. But I'll only get like this every couple of years, so maybe thats some kind of comfort? I dunno, not while I'm sitting here at work it aint, LOL.

Friends of mine swear by Colloidal Silver, not sure on dosages or methods or anything...

I think the doubling of vitamins really works. If you start to feel the snot dripping go for something with a decongestant as the more you drip the more you infect your body. I don't use cold & flu tabs (normal ones) for anything other than this.

Forgot to mention the Day & Night Lemsip has Echinacea, Zinc, Vitamin C and Garlic Oil for the Day and E, Z, C & Valerian for nighttime.

I start taking Zinc and Vitamin C...the zinc in particular is helpful to ward off virals...I note there's also an elderberry extract now available that is whizz-bang with the viruses due to its extremely high antioxidant content...it's been clinically shown to reduce duration/severity of influenza.

The other thing I often do is cook up a big dinner of tomato & seafood soup, loaded with garlic...something about that combination really helps.
    Last edited by AnyDream; August 30th, 2010 at 12:49 PM.

Beat me to it Zinc! (MD ) A friend has tried the elderberry and thinks it's great too MD - might be worth a go Sam?

I do the soup too but I use Chicken soup - organic chicken the whole chooky with lots of herbs, garlic, spinach etc etc. Yummy & it seems to help.

Just try to stay away from things like codral etc as they really do help with the symptoms but I think they are not so great for our bodies.

Also if you have a homeopath close there are some good remedies too.

Mmmm should make some chicken soup! Got A home still so I'll have a helper

I agree with the OTC meds for colds and I worry what they do to the insides as last time I got stuck into demazin and ended up with pain in the kidneys. Probably dehydration because all I wanted to do was drink drink drink!

I use Betadine Mouth gargle, works every time for me. You have to gargle with it as soon as the sore throat starts tho. Doesn't taste too bad, def smells like betadine tho. I use the one you have to dilute itself, i find it tastes better.gl

What happens to me Sam is the antihistamine (phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine) that is in the demazins/codrals/most over the counter cold/flu treatments etc dries me up but blocks me up & I get sinusitis.

I always try (personally & I get we all have our tried and true ways!) to keep away from the meds just because no medication is without a side affect.

Drinking lots of water helps to flush things out and help you keep hydrated.

I can highly recommend chicken soup!
    Last edited by Inanna; August 30th, 2010 at 12:54 PM.

i also burn some oils, peppermint, lemon and eucalyptus

hope your not getting sick