Thread: Are you getting the flu vaccine this year?

Question Are you getting the flu vaccine this year?

I've never had the flu vaccine and have no desire to do so either.... reason is I don't know that much about it and I don't feel it's the 'natural' thing to do.... aren't viruses a normal part of society? So why are we trying to prevent them from happening? They will always be around and we will always catch a cold or flu even if we get the vaccine so why bother?? If they inject you with the vaccine you run the risk of actually getting the flu virus anyway??

I only get sick once a year (usually the flu) and afterwards, i find that my immune system is boosted up then and that then lasts me another year....

I have never bothered to get the flu vaccine because the flu is a mutating virus which changes every year... so they can only vaccinate you against last year's strain! And, the only time I've ever had the flu is when I've had the vaccine!!!!

However, this year I am working in a critical care unit and will be super exposed to all the bugs... so I am thinking about it... thinking... I probably won't get it though...

I've never had the flu shot, and don't plan too either. None of us are susceptible to the flu (I dont' think I've ever had the 'real' flu.. I've had bad colds, but never feverish and bed ridden).

Even my mum who is 74 doesn't get it, and the GP doesn't think she needs it, as she too hardly gets sick.

I think if you are prone to getting really sick, then the flu shot might be a good idea, I've heard that altho you can still get sick, it's not usually as bad. But if you are a generally healthy person, there's no real need.

As a side point - I heard a dr on tv talking about people saying they got the flu after getting the shot, he said that it's not a live virus that you're given, so it's not the shot that's given it to you, you probably were already coming down with it.

I've had real influenza - I thought I was going to die, so did my GP - but of course it wasn't one the vaccine protected against was it?

I've also looked after immunocompromised people who've actually contracted that virus after they've had to shot!

I started getting the flu vax when I was working as a medical receptionist and now get it every year. DH flies OS for work a lot and so could bring one of the nasty strains home with him at any time. I've started noticing times in recent years where ppl all around me have fallen ill with the flu (one time at TAFE it was half the class, clearly it was the flu, sudden onset and hacking cough and another time at work where everyone got sick except me and the ppl at the two nearest desks- we were the three ppl who'd had the workplace flu vax that year)...so even if it doesn't protect from every strain, it does protect from some pretty common (and nasty) ones.

i think people at certain level of risk (elderly, those with respiratory problems etc) are encouraged to have it. i have asthma but the two times i have had the flu vaccine i have had the worst flu ever that year, so i don't have it anymore. that is my experience though and i wouldn't say it is responsible but is the choice i have made based on my experience.

i would talk to your GP if you feel you may benefit from the vaccine, or think you are at higher risk of contracting a flu.

Nah i won't be getting it.... I've read a few things about it that don't make me feel safe about getting it....

I used to get it every year when i was a kid but now for the last few years i havent bothered. I've had bad colds before but never the flu. So can't really see the point in getting it. Plus i am getting rather against vaccines now that i am researching them more.

I have severe asthma and was advised to get the shot. I didn't want it but was pressured into it by my gp. I was sick pretty much for 10 months after getting that shot. I never got a full blown flu, but had that "I'm getting it" feeling all the time and my throat was constantly sore and my nose ran all the time. I will never get one again.

Yeah the stuff i am reading is a bit scary..... there are good sides and bad sides to it and some people it can have pretty bad effects on, others are ok... its a risk, like everything... and up to the individual like someone else said above.

Just interested to see how many of us do get it but it doesnt' look like that many?

I'm scared because my Mum got it and then a year later was diagnosed with breast cancer so she feels that also didn't help and may have 'rocked' her hormones in her body and could have brought the cancer on (amongst other things of course).... she would be so upset with me if she knew i got the vaccine and i am not interested in it.

Viruses have a HUGE impact on our hormones in our bodies, particularly in women hence for some women the flu vaccine can actually make them really sick (maybe not always cancer) but in other ways..... i believe anyway. Also my AP has been telling me alot of stuff recently about it all very interesting

I had my shot when I was about 9 weeks pg and have often wondered if it had anything to do with my mc. My dr was adamant that it was safe to have it during pg, but the fact that it made me ill for so long makes me wonder.

Ren, i understand your concern. I have concerns of my own because i have had 2 family members when they were kids die of the flu before the vaccine was available.

But my cons still out weigh my pros on getting it. You just have to trust that whatever you decide is best for you and your family.

Nic - oooh I wouldn't get a flu shot if pregnant but thats just me.. I don't always trust what the Dr tells me... if i was that Dr i would not have allowed you to get it done

I read this recently and it was enough to scare me away -

Does the Flu Vaccine Really Work?

The flu vaccine can actually weaken the immune system and make you more predisposed to the illness.

The flu vaccine, whether in the shot or nasal form, is worthless at best and should be avoided. Not only are they loaded with toxic chemicals including mercury and aluminum, but many people come down with the flu shortly after receiving the shot. This is because it actually weakens the immune system, making the person more predisposed to the illness.

The flu shot is really only designed for very young or very old people really... not for everyone. So if i had really young kids i would consider it and if i was very old and weak i might but even then, not so sure about it.... its not "natural"

I thought the reason people get the flu after having the shot is because the vaccine is actually made out of the flu virus so sometimes you can get the symptoms after having it.

Yep, that too Tegan

DP bought the flu home from work last year, gave it to me and to DD. DP and I were so sick we couldn't move so my Mum had to come and take DD for a few days, unfortuantely DD still got it (she was 16 months old). I never ever ever want to have to look after a child that sick while I am also that sick ever ever again. It made the family gastro outbreak seem like a doddle compared to the REAL flu. We ended up taking 2 weeks off work to recover and both lost over 4kg in the process.

So, DP got his shot on Friday and I am getting mine on Monday. DD isn't getting it but hopefully if we don't get it, she won't.