Thread: Elimination communication for babies

Default Elimination communication for babies

Friends of mine are Burmese and live in Myanmar. Culturally, they do not use nappies in any form. Apart from an occasional wee accident at night, they successfully practised elimination communication since birth.

My two kids are beyond the nappy stage now anyway, but just wondered if anyone else out there practices or intends to practice EC?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Christine,

I don't do this but have you read Dr Sarah Buckley's article on elimination communication? It's on her site - if you want the link let me know.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Yes please. It's really interesting stuff.

I actually had a friend telling me about this and I was fascinated. I am not home enough to do it, but I am definately interested as well

I have read about this on another website before and found it really interesting...

I often wonder if this is what MIL meant when she said DP was out of nappies at 4 months (I always thought she was rather confused)... She is Chinese, so maybe they do things like nappies/TT differently in their culture.

I might google that article you are talking about Kelly... would love to read more on it.

Melinda Guest

Dr Sarah Buckley was on the Today Show talking about this very issue a couple of months ago.

What are your thoughts on it Kelly?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It's certainly is very interesting, and I am totally open to it, but for me I think I probably wouldn't have done it, only because I am so busy I would have just gone for the nappy change thinking it was simpler LOL! Even contemplating something different is time consuming for me LMAO
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I watched the Today Show. The hardest thing would be that you have to be very clued in to your babies signals 24/7 and Sarah said she got up to her baby during the night for the toilet. Personally I find a nappy works for us although we have thought about it when Amy is a bit older because we can usually tell when she is going to go. She always goes when she is having nappy free time but I think they all do then!

Lee-Ann Guest

This is interesting. I really like to read the book. Although I'm not sure I'd be able to do it. What about when the baby is asleep? There's probably a few questions I'd have to ask really. I mean you probably couldn't really leave the house too much either? But still it's fascinating and I would be really interested in learning more about it.

I think this is a really interesting idea, but there's no way I could do it at the moment. I just don't feel like I understand my baby's enough cues yet... It sometimes takes me a while to work out if she is wet, hungry, etc. when she cries, so I don't think I could tell *before* she's ready to go! Maybe I will be more confident to try in a few months' time? 8-[

Well Matilda has put a huge interest into the toilet atm, so we are doing this in the evenings after her bath, just letting her run around in the nudey (QLD is warm right now LOL) and then if she looks like she wants to poo we bring her to the toilet & read a book. If she does great, if not oh well... but we are trying to watch her and catch her signs. Usually after her bath 5 nights a week she poo's, so we thought we'd start reading her and see how we go. So far, 1 poo in toilet, no messes (whew!)

Local babies in Bali are not in nappies, but like trainer undies... Thicker than normal undies, if that makes sense, then just taught to use toilet, as luxuries like nappies are not affordable... I don't think I have ever seen a child with wet or dirtied underwear on in any of the villages I have been too.... :-k
    I have too much other stuff going on tho to try it!!! But it is food for thought!!!