Thread: I feel like she hates me....

FellowTraveller Guest

Default I feel like she hates me....

Hi Everyone...
    My DD is 6 months old (in a week) and she seems to be going through such a cranky cranky time. She just whines and cries and seems generally miserable. I can't seem to leave her on her mat, in her bumbo or her activity thingo (which she normally loves). Anything she does after a few minutes she just ends up crying or groans. She is horrid in the pram after a short period (crying, squirming) and it feels like it is so hard to get a smile out of her. I honestly dread her being awake as I am always trying to pacify her - she is just such hard work. I just feel like she just hates me at them moment...what am i missing???

Oh dear - is it teeth?? Almost nothing can console them.

Chin up, it can really suck.

xoxoxoxoxox

Hi,

Your darling is just starting to learn that she is a separate person to you. Before that (she probably didn't thik as such) but it was just a big mummy/baby amalgm. The compliment is, she LOVES YOU. She misses you - when you are away from her. You are the world to her, and she is starting to be anxious when she is separated from you.
    Do you have a sling? They are fabulous! No-one should attempt motherhood without one. She will feel so included being with her mum while you do the chores, hang out washing etc. A front facing one will allow her to face in to your chest and "switch off" from the stimulation of the world when she has had enough. Worried she will be heavy? When you where a baby properly, with the sling high and tight around your waist you can carry them for a long time. The Australian Breastfeeding Association simplicty sling is a good one

Barb

it's hard to figure these little people out sometimes but rest assured your bubba doesn't hate you.

I find it can be hard to get anything done when one of my boys is feeling clingy but then they get over it and don't have any time for me until the next clingy phase.

I think Barb has given you some great advice.

My 5 and a bit month old woke and was crying in his cot while I hung 4 towels on the line and (heaven forbid) went to the toilet. When I came back to him (less than 5 minutes later) he was distraught and sobbing his little heart out. So much so that he refused to make eye contact with me for the next few minutes He has also been grumpy and difficult to settle. It is so hard some times

Fellow Traveller, big hugs to you. I think Barb has explained it brilliantly. I know how hard it can be to have an unsettled baby. Things will get better. You are your little girl's world. She loves you more than anything. Take care of yourself.

FellowTraveller Guest

Thanks so much for the responses... I just feel like I can't even settle her at times. It is like she is just peeved off with everything...or short tempered. I hope your right Barb. I have Menieres disease and have recently undergone treatment. I have not used the Baby Bjorn because my illness has caused me to become dizzy and have these horrid attacks which cause vertigo and make me fall. Hopefully I am over the worst of it so I will take your advice and start to use it again. I really feel like she just doesn't want to be with me at times....

Hi,

I'm right! It sounds like you are having a really rough time. Try to keep it in mind that when you are unwell, everything is harder to cope with. Be gentle on yourself and on her. do you get out, meet with other people? I've always found that you don't throttle them when you are out and in the company of friends! And, they respond by being delightful.
    Factor into your day some things that you know you will both like - a bath or a massage. Soon you'll be in love again!
    Barb

Quote Originally Posted by Barb Glare View Post
    I've always found that you don't throttle them when you are out and in the company of friends! And, they respond by being delightful.
    Too true!

Oh yes... Do you have any family closeby? I found when DD was at her peak of unsettled-ness (3-5mo... ah, who am I kidding? Until she was about 7mo, lol) my parents' house was a safe haven. They didn't care if she cried - they loved her and didn't have to live with her. So, I could hand her over, know she was safe and have a break...
    But even getting out for a bit, perhaps to the shops or a park where there're seats in case you find yourself feeling a bit wobbly, can do wonders. All the best to you - I really feel for you. It is so hard sometimes.

Hi FellowTraveller

I've got a similar situation. My daughter is 3 and a half months old and I've always described her as very easy but I've noticed that she has got a lot more whingy in the last few days which, I think, is because she's getting bored with all the things she normally does. She's always been a very active baby so maybe yours is the same and just needs some new stimulation.

So yesterday and today I've tried to give her new things to see/do. I've have an unstable pelvis so like you, I can't use the Baby Bjorn too much but did get out for a brief 10 minute walk today and she loves it! It was very cute seeing her take in all her surroundings and poke her tongue out to feel the wind for the first time. Much better than her being in the pram. At first I made the mistake of using the full head support because she's quite light but she doesn't like being that cramped and prefers it where she can have a good look around. Even putting her down on the carpet in the bedroom (instead of on the bed) has helped and opening the wardrobe door so she can see the differently coloured clothes kept her fascinated for about half an hour while I sorted clothes.

If anyone has any more ideas, please let me know!

Fiona

Oh I have an idea for you both, well my DS kind of gave me the idea.

He is a little sticky beak and I don't drive so we have caught the bus once or twice. ONe time I took him in the Hug a Bub. while waiting for the bus it was like he was watching the tennis his little head going back and forward watching all the cars go by and looking at all the new things he hadn't seen before.

Once on the bus he gets to stare at all the people and still be close to me. Plus most buses do a round trip so you could just get on and enjoy the ride. The vibrations of the bus when DS is in his pram also put him to sleep.

You could do all this with a train or a tram too, but I would aim for non peak hour

HI Kungfubecca

Great suggestion re the bus/train/tram. I took her on the tram for the first time last week and she loved it. I loved it too because she got a lot of compliments!

Have just come back from a weekend away and I definitely think that she was getting bored because while she was away she wasn't whingy at all. We went away with three other couples so there were lots of new people to interact with and new things to see and she was an absolute angel.