Thread: one year old behaviour

Default one year old behaviour

it was my sons 1st birthday last week!!! yay.. but along with this came temper tantrums! lol
    is this the normal type of age for them i thought it was more around 2?? .. we go shopping.. he hates his pram... starts screaming.. if he cant get a toy he wants etc. starts screaming. arching his back..ahhhh fun fun fun
    i dont want to loose my temper with him and try to remain calm.. is this all sounding very normal?? and part of the toddler package.any tips please!! i am reading the sears good behaviour book atm to!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

You could be describing Charlie! Suddenly hates the pram, will arch his back when I try to put him in. If I stop for a minute, he screams! Picks up stuff as we're walking around and will refuse to let go. About a week ago, he wouldn't let me put him down on the floor, and when I had him in my arms, he wouldn't let me sit down! So now I put him on the floor, let him have his tanty, and after 5 mins or so, he stops and goes and plays. But I can't do that in the shops, and it's driving me nutso. Doesn't help that when DH is around, he'll take Charlie out of the pram if he sooks!

I am so feeling your frustration!

Don;t get me started.........my Charlie has been up to these types of antics for nearly a year.....since he was around 14 months. Driving me mad.

I hope it is normal, otherwise I have a potential delinquent on my hands..........

No tips, sadly. Time & patience.

DS is 14 months old and the temper tantrums have started here as well. They are frustrating to say the least - but they are easier to deal with at home then out in public that is for sure! DH and I are dealing with them in the best way we can (we ignore them as much as we can) and we hope this will pass quickly.

We get that with Austin too, and it started arounjd 10-11m. We were thinking, wow, if this is what he's liek at 1 what will he be like at 2?! But I think it's all just part of their learning, they get frustrated that things don't work exactly how they'd like and are gaining a new understanding of the world at that age as they start to learn how to do things for themselves.

Sounds like Lily when she was 1. It's still going on too. She is 2yrs 4mths now and it's worse than ever, sorry to say!

paradise lost Guest

Esme is *exactly* like this too!

I try to put her down and ignore her when the tantrum starts (unless she's over-tired or some other thing is causing her frustrations etc.) and immediately go over and chat/hug when she's gotten over it, as i don't want her to think whining is what gets results.

I feel you ire too, XDP is the complete opposite to me, and will give her almost ANYTHING if she cries for it GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Hana

Gosh i feel for you all girls. I'm no expert but maybe because one parent is doing one thing and the other another, bubba thinks well i got away with it with Dad so i will keep my tantrum going and going until mum gives in? Just a thought maybe DP'S and DH'S need to follow mum's lead and be a little stronger.

I think you are all doing a great job and maybe it is just part of development in kids.

Tayneesha seems to be ok at the moment she has her tanties every now and again i just ignore her and move away until she stops and then go and talk to her at her level to say she was being a little silly for no reason etc etc and that seems to work for me. I am not sure how to handle a situation in the shops though i haven't had that experience yet! Maybe give them something exciting to play with so they are not so bored. Maybe take them to the park first before going to the shops to wear them out Oh gosh i just don't know!
    When the tanties start at the shops for me i will let you all know what i did oh thats if anything works! Lol

I hope though it all settles down for you all sooner than later.

Jen

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Just an update,

had a chat to DH about Charlie's tanties and he's on board now with the plan. He doesn't pick him up if he chucks and tanty, and tbh there's a difference already. Yes, he's still being difficult, but not as much.

Good to hear it's settling down Sushee!

We haven't had tanties yet... but I tell ya, he can squeeze out some tears when he wants to! LOL. I have to hold back laughing at him. I just tell him to stop putting it on, and tell me what he wants (he signs it) and he's usually ok. Believe me, it's sooooo obvious when he's turning it on... and it's never a full on cry.