thread: Our cosleeping journey may be at an end

Aug 2008
    Adelaide

Unhappy Our cosleeping journey may be at an end

We're finally moving. I've been waiting for this for years. But now I'm sad because it may mean the end of cosleeping.

Before having children I never thought I'd bedshare. My parents' bedroom was not a place where my brother and I were welcome so cosleeping was never something that occurred to me. DD1 (2.5 years) sleeps in our bed. She's been there all night, every night since she was 7 months old when I finally gave up on trying to get her to sleep in the cot. Three in the bed has been a little crowded at times (especially when I was pregnant with DD2) but DH and I are agreed that if it's what she wants, she'll get it and will move out when she's ready. We introduced a toddler bed into our room before DD2 was born but with no success. She would sit in it for storytime for about a week and that was all the interest she ever showed in it. Thankfully DD2 is happy to sleep in her bassinette in our room so we don't have to try and fit 4 in our queen size bed or worry about our wriggly toddler smothering the baby.

We move into our new house in 2 weeks. We're hoping that the move will help with getting DD1 into her own room as we'll now be able to set up a nice room especially for her. I mentioned to DH we should buy a king size mattress so we can have a proper family bed in the new home. His response was "We're trying to get one child out of our bed, not bring in another". Now it has only just occurred to me that there isn't really room for the cot in our room and DD2 is outgrowing the bassinette. We may just have to move her into her own room as well. I feel so sad. I love sleeping with my babies and I'm not ready for it to end yet.

Feb 2012
    Tasmania

Is everyone else ready for it though? If they are then a little mourning on your part but going with what everyone else is ready for sounds like the right path to me. It's part of parenting isn't it? Little heartbreaks of letting go stages you cherish. there are stages I was loath to move through but it isn't my choice a lot of the time (I would have kept them babies for ever but then I would have missed out on the crazy wonderful little people that they are now!). I hope your move goes well for you all.

2012 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.
    Add AngelPants on Facebook

Feb 2010
    Under the rock

Hugs hun, if DD1 isn't ready for it she will let you know pretty quickly. If she is embrace this new step of independence. And if DD2 cot doesn't fit in your room would it fit in DD1s room? Then she wouldn't be alone.

sent from my watzamajig so may not make sense....

2012 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.
    Add AngelPants on Facebook

Feb 2010
    Under the rock

Ps mourning is completly normal. I'm right there with you at the moment.

sent from my watzamajig so may not make sense....

Jul 2009
    Riding it out...

If DD1 isn't ready, even a nice room specially for her won't make her go. I understand the sadness at the thought, I think we may have a little mourning coming of our own soon too, but for BFing, the co sleeping will probably follow. As much as I've often thought how nice it would be to not have to feed to sleep every night, or be comfortable at night and not be kicked, pinched, shoved or have a toddler sleep on my head the thought of it ending soon makes me sad too, I'm not ready, but if the LOs are then we might just have to get on and mourn

May 2012
    Where faith conquers fear

There's something so comforting about having our precious bebe's close at night time. I'm trying to convince DH that next time round we will just get a king bed and sleep with bubba. I coslept with DD for ages because it was so handy for night feeds.