Thread: Sleeping In A Bassinette - Safe?

Default Sleeping In A Bassinette - Safe?

My 4-month-old has a crib and a bassinette (from the pram) and because these days she's more active, she messes about in her crib and manages to get her legs out of the side etc. Obviously she thinks this is GREAT fun and it doesn't distress her at all but it means she stays awake when she should be sleeping. I've tried the cot bumper (air thingy) but I don't like it because I can't see her from my bed.

So I've started putting her in her bassinette instead because that has solid sides and she can't muck about so much. I've always felt terrible because I'd heard these weren't safe because of the lack of airflow. BUT I checked the SIDS site the other day and it said there was no evidence that it was a greater risk of SIDS.

What are your thoughts?

I can't put her in a cot because we're renovating so the only serviceable bedroom is ours and we can't fit a cot. Well, we could but it would be way too squashy IYKWIM.

Although my daughter hasn't arrived yet I am planning on sleeping her in a bassinet in our room for atleast the first few months, mine too is from the pram with an additional stand - I think you'll find alot of people if not most sleep their babies in bassinets in their room for about the first 5 or 6 months, not least because they find it easier to keep an eye on them.

I can only speak for the babies of friends & family but everyone of them I've known has slept in a bassinet early on with no issues. If there was a significant problem with bassinets you would definately know about it.

If I were you I wouldn't worry. Do you worry when you take her out in the bassinet on the pram? It shouldn't be any different.

Eliza slept in her bassinet for 4 months with no troubles and then into her pram bassinet lol it was only when she got too big for the bassinet. I remember the MCHN telling me to get the frillys off the bassinet, so it wasnt so much a bassinet but all the adornings
    Bec

Hi, IDK about how safe bassinettes are too sleep in, but I was going to suggest putting your DD in a sleeping bag, that way her legs can't out the sides?

Aiden slept in a bassinete till about 3months old. It never crossed my mind about lack of airflow.
    The only thing i felt with him sleeping in his bassinete, is that as he got older, and being a bigger baby (being 75cm at 6months) i found that he shook the bassinete when he moved about alot, and, with it being on a stand, I used to worry about him shaking it so much it would tip.. Which i think would be unlikely at that young age... but, you know, we tend to worry about lots of stuff being mums.

Thanks everyone - I feel much better now. She is sound asleep in her bassinette as I type this!

i would be concerned about the qualility of the mattress in the pram bassinettes, are the designed and to be slept on for long periods??? how thick is the mattress???? i personally wouldnt do it unless the mattress was thicker, otherwise get one cut from places such as clark rubber, as the pram ones tend to be quite thin

I've never heard of this before. Why would it having solid sides stop the airflow? You're not draping a blanket over it or anything are you? I'm quite baffled to be honest. I had my daughter in a basinette when she was a newborn before I decided to co-sleep and all I ever heard about them was the usual stuff - put her in with her feet at the bottom of the basinette, don't leave toys and pillows etc in it, and check that it's sturdy. I think it'll be fine, I really don't see why not.

We've just bought a new bassinette this week because the one that we had (on loan) had padded sides. A couple of nights I found Calvin had wiggled his way over to the edge of the bassinette & I was worried he would smother himself against the edge. We actually bought one that has completely mesh sides (made by Valco) - so he can still breathe, even if he does end up on the edge.

she be no probs....ashley slept in his pram one ( didnt have a cot) till he 5 mths then he got too big lol and had to pick up the cot