Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else Gestational Diabetic or curious about it?

Hi Beckles

Fingers crossed you "pass"!!

Hello Shauntae! You are sounding like me - full of holes!

My blood sugars have been quite good of late - as long as I keep away from the foods I know make it skyrocket!!

Doctor has also put me on Metformin to see if it helps out.

Bubs is normal size (YAY!!) and I hope he/she stays that way. I much preferred delivering a 6lb 7oz baby (Liam) to an 8lb (Cairenn) one!!! Cairenn was my first baby where I had uncontrolled bsl's almost up to her birth (only found to be diabetic from 30 weeks) where as on insulin from 19 weeks with Liam, and 10 weeks this time round.

Hope you are all keeping well!!

Seeya for now!

*Megan* Guest

Hi Kelli

Thanks for creating this thread..I have just had the longer Glucose test as the short one came back elevated? It was about 10-11?? Is this high, As I have no idea what is normal....I did the longer glucose test on Friday and will have my results this Fri when I see the OB!

Megan

Hi Megan

Yep, that bsl is high, but it is hard to say if it is abnormal or not as it all depends on whether you were fasting prior etc etc.

Maybe to help yourself out, you could try cutting down on refined carbs like bread, cake etc (not that you necessarily eat alot of it!) and try to stick to non processed foods. Essentially, the more a food is treated/processed, the easier it is for your body to change it to sugar. So, what I am trying to say, is, stick to simple stuff like protein, salad, veges, fruit that you prepare at home and keep away from pre-prepared food (like frozen foods etc).

Then, if your GTT (the longer Glucose test) comes back high, atleast you are on the right track to lower your bsl with diet.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to help you out!

Hope your ob visit goes well.

Seeya

*Megan* Guest

Thanks Kelli! I guess I was most shocked by the result as I have an amazingly heathly diet...no white bread, cakes, white flour, biscuits and definitely don't eatr processed foods.....but since being pregnant I have been eating a lot of chocolate, which I thought might contribute to it....

I did the urine test last week and the colour on the stick didn't change at all. Do you know what this means? The pathologist said that was a good sign, but if you have any further information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Kelli!

Megan

*Megan* Guest

Hi Kelli

Thought that I would post again as I had another appointment with a different DR and he got the results for me....perhaps from your expereince you might be able to shed some light on this?

I had a reading of 4.6 after fasting and then 10.9 after the glucose drink and then 9.8 an hour later.....it is high and I now have to look at the home self testing, I guess I will know more over the coming week.....I am so confused as to how this has happened as I am not overweight and have a really good diet. Could it just be one of those things?

Anyway - thanks for listening and for your information earlier...

Megan

Megan

Please don't beat yourself up about the high readings. It is wonderful to hear that you are in good health - sometimes GD isn't necessarily a direct result of triggers like weight and diet.

Some people just have altered insulin resistance and when the hormones of pregnancy kick in, it all goes a little pear shaped. Hopefully, with your good health track record, you will lose all gestational diabetes symptoms in the hours/days following your baby's birth. Quite often, as soon as the placenta is delivered, things will get back on track pretty quickly.

I'm guessing that the colour not changing on the stick means that there was no glucose detected in your urine. That is good - as is a fasting glucoose of 4.6 - that's really good!

I don't think that chocolate would be doing too much harm - but then again, different foods affect different people in different ways!

Well done for your great diet. Self testing will help you to see what might make your blood sugars rise - it will be a case of seeing what works and what doesn't. Also, your ob may (or may not) send you off to see a diabetes educator which will help you out immensely.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions.

Best wishes

*Megan* Guest

Kelli - thanks for your reassurance...could I ask you a few more questions though?

Will the baby be OK? I have read that it could cause complications for the baby? Will it be bigger then normal or will he come early?

Any info that you have would be greatly appreciated!

Megan

Megan

Bubs can often be bigger if bsl's are not well controlled. Usually the birth is brought on earlier if the baby is large or Mum is having problems like decreased placenta funtion, uncontrolled bsls etc etc.

The baby might also have a few low blood sugars just after birth but they keep a real close eye on them and supplement feed them with some formula if needed.

Hope this helps - sorry I have taken so long to reply - DH is in hospital.

Seeya

kelli i hope your DH is ok - you must be having a tough time of it on your own at the moment. hope he recovers soon and it's not too serious.
    love beckles

Hi Beckles!

Thanks for your kind words.

Unfortunately Mark is not in the best of health at the moment, but thankfully, he is on the road to recovery.

He had an emmergency operation on Sunday and we are just sooooo lucky that they operated when they did - things could be looking a whole lot worse now if they didn't.

I am coping ok - my wonderful friends who live 2.5 hours away from us came on Monday to watch the kids and help out so I could go see Mark. I am so blessed to have such caring people around me. Mark's sister is driving from Perth as we speak to stay until Sunday and that will be wonderful.

Thanks again for thinking of me!

How are you doing? How are you Megan? Are you getting the hang of doing your bsl's yet? Hope all is well for you both.

Best wishes

Hi everyone,
    I had GD in my first pregnancy, although it was quite weird. At the initial testing, with the glucose drink, they said I had it. I was set up with the *****er and had to test myself 4 times a day. Not once was it EVER above average. If anything it was below (can't remember the numbers, but 2 or 3 I think). I'd even test people who came to visit and their's was always higher.
    I had no complications. Was booked in for induction, but luckily DD arrived the day before, totally average weight. After the hospital gave me the crappiest diet ever. I really don't think I ever had it. Is it normal to have such low readings? I've never been overweight and eat healthily. However last time I wasn't as healthy as this time. I don't eat sugar, so Im hoping it doesn't reapper. Is it likely to strike again??? Because I had it before, will I have to be tested early?

*Megan* Guest

Hi Kelli

I am so sorry to hear about your DH - I hope that he is feeling better. Yay for good friends! Yours sound truly wonderful...

I haven't had a good coversation with my OB yet - have an appointment in the morning so will hopefully have more news then.

Thanks so much for your response though - but I will probably touch base with you soon when I know more about what I need to do to keep things under control...

Thanks again and all my love to you and DH!

Megan

Kelli - Sorry to hear about your DH, hope he has a speedy recovery and gets well soon. [-o< It's nice to have friends and family that drop everything just to be of help.

I have finally found my right insulin dosage! \/

I get readings of low 4's to low 7's now, which is normal and of great diabetic control.

Firsttimer - Sometimes if you eat something that you're entirely not use too and a lot of it over a period of time, it can throw of your system's balance off. I have found so many things now spike my sugars and in keeping away from them, or eating just a piece or a handful rather than the whole thing has helped.

Melissa

*Megan* Guest

Melissa - thanks for that. Perhaps it was the fact that I ate more chocolate then normal that has tipped me over as my reading after 2 hours was 9.6! I am thinking that this is quite high?

Congratulations on having such great readings - that is wonderful. I am hoping to pick up a machine tomorrow so I can start doing this at home...

I have been put on the strictess diet though - with no cheese, no other dairy (other then low fat yoghurt), no chocolate - nothing with sugar in it, no bacon, no lamb, no sausages, no carbs at all and to only eat food that is Low GI! It really sucks....

Meg - as this is my first pg - I can't be of any help to you, but I would love an answer to your question as well as I am worried that I will get it again too.....

Megan

Meg - My mum was GD, and only with myself and my sister. GD didn't occur when she was having my brother. Mum is however, type 2 diabetic now.

Melissa

Meg

They say (Drs that is) if you have had GD before, you have a greater risk of becoming gestational diabetic again. But I have found from personal experience that if you have a really good diet before you become pregnant (like similar to when you had GD) and are in good shape, it might not be as bad.

Megan - I am baffled as to why you have been put onto such a strict diet. It sounds pretty weird :-k especially not being able to eat lamb, cheese etc etc. Is this an attempt to avoid insulin use by the doctor? Even though we have to be really careful what we eat, the diet you are on sounds so restrictive - you must be going out of your mind! I found that low fat yoghurt (I was told to have low fat fruit yoghurt) still made my bsl rise - it still has sugar in it!

Melissa - YAY!! at your excellent control!! You must be over the moon!! Remember that they might rise slightly as your pregnancy continues and you might have to adjust your dose! WELL DONE!! =D>

My control is excellent now too! I have actually had to decrease my insulin dose as I was having regular hypos!! Not quite sure why it has changed, but happy nonetheless!! I am eating pretty similiar things all the time and have been craving vege soup (which I am making by the tonne) and it doesn't touch my bsl very much!! Can't wait to tell the ob!! I am so thrilled as it means that bubs will stay average size (like Liam was) and so far I have not put on any weight (but then again, I still had a few of Liam's legacy hanging around lol!!).

Well, hope you are all well, and I will chat again soon!

Seeya

*Megan* Guest

Kelli - it does sound strange doesn't it? I am attending a clinic next week -so will hopefully find out more then. I don't think that I am overly BIG (baby wise) either - please have a look at my webpage and let me know!!

I have just started to test mysefl today and my first reading after breakfast was 5.2 so I am really pleased with that...retest in about 40 mins....

I am thrilled that you are keeping things under control - that is great news..well done! I do find it hard work and have to think all the time 'can I eat that?' 'Is there sugar in that?' I'm sure it will get easier and I only have 6 weeks until the baby is born so not long to go..

Megan

Megan - geez you look absolutely ginormous NOT!!! WOW!!! You look FANTASTIC!!!!!! =D>

Your bsl after brekkie is great!! What did you have for brekkie (just curious!) We are living on porridge at the moment and I'm really enjoying it.

Just to confuse you even more - sometimes it's foods that don't have a lot of sugar that will make your bsl rise but keeping away from the obvious ones is a great plan.

Hope you have a good clinic visit next week.

Seeya

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast