Thread: GD in pregnancy will they enduce me early help please

Default GD in pregnancy will they enduce me early help please

hello,

I have had GD on all of my pregnancy's last time i had to go on Insulin and was endue a week early it all went grand and very quick best birth so far so im not to worried about that only at the moment im living in Ireland and will be moving to Maroochydore in June ill be about 27 weeks big move so a little scary i know with my past history here that they will probably enduce me early again because of the gd and i was wondering how do they manage it in Australia at the moment its early days and ill be diet controlled i guess on till if and when i need insulin hopefully not i rather a more straight forward pregnancy
    has any one any advice ild really appreciate it thanks Niamh

They will try to get you to induce at 38 weeks. It is hospital policy at most places around here. As long as you BSL's have been good (with or without insulin) then *IMO* there is no more risk to your baby than any other pregnancy. They will send you for a sizing scan around 34 weeks and if you refuse induction they will want 2nd daily CTG's to monitor bub. I was on insulin and held off until 39+4weeks, but in the end I agreed to the induction. I still wish I had fought a bit harder as I am sure he would have come by himself in the next few days anyhow but it was all too stressful and I gave in.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Have you read THIS article?

I had a client in Singapore who was diagnosed with GD, she came here and her Ob dismissed it as it was only classed as borderline in AUS.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thats true Kelly, there are so many differing opinions for 'good' levels. I know that the diagnoses in NZ is different to Aus, I think it is a BSL after 2 hours >8 here and >9 in NZ. Then they can't agree with the limits that the mums are supposed to stick to either - in the GD chatter there are ladies that are told they can't go above 6.5 or they will have to go on insulin, I was allowed up to 7.5 and they weren't too concerned if I went a bit over every once in a while.

Hello Thanks for that
    Im not to worried about being endued early i guess ill cross that bridge when i come to it but i do tend to have big babies and i was given two choices have a induction on the Wednesday or a c section on the Friday i had a c section on my first and never again but my induction went very well so it was a good experience in the end.

as far as i remember our bloods have to be 5 or below before eating and 7 and below an hour after eating that was when i was insulin we dont have to check our blood sugars during the day on less we are on insulin here stupid really as it helps you see what foods put it up

im a little worried it might be a issue when it comes to flying and being on insulin plus moving to another hospital does that go ok

Thanks Niamh

When I was first diagnosed by my ob with gestational diabetes, he said he didn't think I would need to be induced earlier but it would be something he would monitor as the dates got closer. My next appointment with him is this week Thursday so it will be interesting to see what he says. I haven't had a growth scan yet, I am assuming he will send me off for one to find out how big my baby is..... I have always thought from day 1 that I will be early with this baby, not sure why, just a gut instinct. Mind you I could be wrong. I would prefer not to be induced, but I just have to listen to my ob, since he knows what is best for me and bub.

So if they estimate a 10lb bub which is birthable both ways what would you choose? What is your cut off for a big bub? Janet Balaskas birthed babes bigger than 10lbs each without a tear... and have heard this from many too. I don't think Cailin tore with her VBAC and Seth was a 10lber...

If you want to read the studies you will see that inducing a mother with GD for suspected fetal macrosomia only resulted in more c/s without improving outcomes. There was no more shoulder dystocia and all that crap doctors scare you about and these studies were independently vetted, check out the Cochrane database. I have linked the study in this forum but whatever birth you want to have you will tend to get. If you want a vaginal birth, you can research and feel empowered, if you want to let your Ob lead you without educating yourself or any proof of an emergency or abnormally big baby then we all know what the studies are saying, about this topic and others.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kelly I discuss this with my ob each time and one of her arguements for induction in that the placenta breaks down and becomes inefficient in supplying the baby. Do you know of any articles on this topic?

On the topic of big bubs, I've birthed two 9lb 5oz and 9lb 10oz. Did tear but they were quick and the second one was intervention free, including drugs and only 1.5 hours long. Some of us are built for birthing babies! The midwife actually said that it's a bit easier to birth a heavier bub coz gravity helps lol!

Oh no I lost my post

I will have to come back later because I need to get my girl ready for her first day of school tomorrow.

Have you read the Henci Goer article and the Cochrane Database Review?

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ad.php?t=39831

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ad.php?t=11009
    Kelly xx

Hi
    I wouldn't like to do the 10 pounds again i am very small only 4 ft 10 and he was a vbac but it was a very long labour were he went in to distress and i had to have the vacuum suction and a huge episiotomy spelt that wrong plus my poor little lad was badly bruised and had a problem with one of his arms and foot from the delivery all sorted out now he is a fine big lad now i had also problems breathing after apparently from how hard i was pushing i was so determined i wasn't having another c section i knew it was coming to that as soon as they wanted to use the suction cup that failed on my fist son but in comparison to my last baby who was 8lbs 5 and only took 15 minutes pushing instead of nearly 4 hours ill pick a smaller baby but never will i have a selective c section i still preferred my long labour and delivery than that again may be not the stitches so sore i did tear third time round but didn't need stitches and it never gave me a problem
    you know what the best thing was not having an epidural i loved being able to get up have a shower get changed and i felt great nearly back to normal a few hours later well in comparison to the other two births before that . although if all is well with me and baby this time and im not having a monster baby i don't mind going over i think ill get a doula so i wont cave for a epidural in a moment of weakness though

gkk33 Guest

Hi,
    I have been told by my Diabetes Educator in Queensland to stay within the range of 3.7 - 6.7. I have also heard that that NZ have different levels than Aus.

GG

Quote Originally Posted by gkk33 View Post
    Hi,
    I have been told by my Diabetes Educator in Queensland to stay within the range of 3.7 - 6.7. I have also heard that that NZ have different levels than Aus.

GG
    bit lower than here in Ireland ild have no probs with the first reading its the one after i eat that the trouble as well my blood sugar for some reason used to come back high on the fasting reading with the blood test they do in the hospital every week all so confusing!