Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes

wowzah Guest

Hi all

I'm new to the forums - hope you don't mind me crashing

I had GD diagnosed about week 20 in my last pregnancy, I have PCOS and Insulin Resistance and so I was tested early.

I am now 33 weeks but GD has yet to present. I still however am under strict instructions to monitor diet and exercise and I am doing the 4 finger tests a day to keep an eye on things.

My levels are slowly creeping up though, which is getting a little worrying

I have type 2 and I was diet controlled up until 34weeks then my sugars started to go up no matter what I ate. I then started insulin. Good luck with your GD.

i too tried to control it with diet but am on insulin & so far so good though i already know my baby is going to be big!!

Hi melbee70. sometimes it is hard to control, in the end i was eating nothing ,the doctor told me off and told me it was ok to have the insulin. my girl was 3 weeks early and only 6 lb.

wowzah Guest

Hi betty - so your bub came early spontaneously or was induced?

jori Guest

Hi everyone
    I too have GD. I have to do the finger test three times a day as well as give myself insulin in the stomach morning and night. I am due on the 27th April but doc has already told me they will probably take the baby early. I am going for an ultrasound tomorrow to see how big the baby is. Hoping it all goes away after the baby is born.
    It is all very daunting at first and i cried a river of tears. Now it is like second nature to give myself the insulin.
    Anyway wishing everyone the very best

I had with borderline with my first pregnancy and insulin injections for my last 2.

I had to test at home first but after a few weeks I needed insulin. It isnt so bad once you get used to it all. I think it took me 2 days to get into a routine.

Good luck.. Also bub will get blood tests when he/she is born.. They will need to check the blood sugars on them as well. I am prettyy sure it is just aheel ***** test..

How is everyone going?

jori im due april 27 but will probably have another csection on april 11

im already over having to do finger *****s before food & two hours after plus the insulin injections - i was getting really bad bruising so am now using longer needles though am still bruising - think it is just my skin - dont think there is much more room for my baby to keep growing i feel like im going to burst - the dr wants to keep her under 10lb (my first was 11lb 4oz) so will see what happens

hope everyone is doing ok

Hi Ladies,
    Hope you are well. I just thought you might like some comparitive input. i had gd with both pregnancies and was monitoring 4 times a day and maintained by diet alone. Both babies were induced at 36 weeks. My first child a son was 9 pound 7 and my second child a daughter was 6 pound 2. They totally mucked that up. Just goes to show how pregnancies and children are totally different right from the get go. you couldnt now get 2 more different children. My son was dragged out of me after 12 hours and is still clingy at 10. My daughter i delivered in an hour and a half and she is very "look out world"-i'm busy and i ahve things to do. Little Miss Independant. A crack up. I hope you ladies are all travelling well;i bet you are glad that summer is in theory over. Hope the cooler weather all finds you more comfortable. Does anyone know how Soul is going? i know she is due very soon and has a complicated pregnancy?

Hugs
    Pauline

Well,

I am joining in this thread too. Just got confirmation that I have GD. Go to the clinic on Friday for my first appt.
    Am hoping I can control the GD by diet alone and that bubs will not be too big!

Hey girls!

I was diagnosed last week with GD. I'm currently monitoring my BSL's 6 times a day, am on a special diet, and see my GP once a week to monitor my progress. I have an appointment with an OB at the hospital on Monday (I do shared care) and a class with a Diabetes Educator on Wednesday.

My GP mentioned that if I have 3 or more readings over 7, I'll be on insulin. I got number 3 this morning, so am freaking out a little!

Oh no Ashlee! I hope they let you go without insulin, but sadly I think that they are fairly strict, well they were with my gf.............
    Let us know how you go

Jool-My GP said the hospital is very strict, so my chances of not going on are buckleys and none I think! Good luck with your first visit, have you started monitoring your BSL's yet? Sorry if you have already mentioned this, I have complete placenta dementia!

ashlee i too had trouble keeping it under 7 no matter what i ate

i had a scan today as the baby was already measuring 40weeks & i was only almost 33 - all is good with bubba though she has a huge belly & is big for my dates - there is also increased fluid around her (which is normal for baby's with diabetic mums) so am having another scan in two weeks to see how she is going but my worry now is that the dr said im an increased risk of my waters breaking early so have to take it easy (thats easy for them to say with a toddler to look after!)

hope everyone is doing well

Ashlee - no haven't started the monitoring yet, I guess that will all start this w/end as I go to the clinic on Friday. Mum & Nan have type 2 diabetes, so I sort of thought I was a big chance to have GD, plus being o/weight and nearly past 30.......

Melbee - I am concerned having a big bubs but it sounds like there is not much that you can do to stop it growing so fast/big. Do you think they will induce you early?

How is everyone going?

Hey BettyBoop,

I'm going quite well, still on the diet monitoring, go back to the GD clinic on Friday. I've been over occassionally last week but the readings have been starting to get under control, so I am fairly confident that they will let me keep going with the diet monitoring, which suits me just fine. I've heard that it is suppose to get harder but I'm actually finding it easier. I even ate white bread and shared a piece of sponge cake today and I was under when I tested..... go figure....
    How r u doing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast