Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes Chatter #6

Hi Girls, just popping in! Nothing too exciting on the GD front. Been on 8 units for nearly 2 weeks now and all of my fastings have been in the low 4's so defiantely don't think I'll have to increase my dose before bubs arrival.

I've worked out that if I continue testing my BSL's 4 times a day until the birth I'm short 8 testing strips if I don't buy a new box. Seems silly to buy a new box fo the sake of 8 strips though! maybe I will be a little naughty and cut my testing down to 3 times a day that should about do it.

trac, my DD was 3.4 ki;io's at 38 weeks so a fair size but not huge. I didn't have GD with her though.

How are you doing Belfie?

hiya MamaS - sounds like your BSL's are going great, that's wonderful. And look at your ticker, not long to go now!

AFM well a girls weekend away wasn't all that good for my BSL's, so I'll be upping my insulin to 20 units tomorrow. Plus I did the stupidest thing this morning, and accidentally bent the needle. And seeing i'm SO used to just injecting at home, hadn't remembered to take spare needles with me! So managed to use it bent... but seriously duh! I'm honestly not sure if my BSL's are up cos I've been a bit naughty or cos they would just be going up anyway, so am determined to get back to my normal routine & diet too, see if that helps.

Trac - how are you going?

Hello Ladies
    Sorry I have been a little quiet but there is alot going on at the moment in my world LOL

Belfie - Hope your enjoyed your time away... ouch for a bent needle some days my needles hurt and they are straight. Oh My Gosh You don't have long either Belfie. Are you being induced?

MamaSpice - Hope you are doing well, your BSL's sound fantastic and i wish mine were like that.. Not long to go now. Are you going to be induced?

AFM - Wow where do i start. My BSL's have been all over the place so yesterday they have increased my Insulin (AGAIN) and then also added another injection. So now i am on Pre Breakfast 18units, Pre Lunch 14 Units and Pre Dinner 36 Units, i really hope it starts to settle soon... I spoke to my Ob yesterday about induction and he said it is highly likely but not definate, in some cases they will let you go to 40weeks even with insulin, so i guess we will be talking about that in another couple of weeks. According to the growth of bub 2 weeks ago things look good bub's abdomin was nearly at the 70 percentile which is ok as long as it doesn't hit the 95 percentile (like Jaylan did). Bub is of normal size which is nice and at 31 weeks was looking at about 3pd something. I also spoke to Ob about the pain and pressure i have been having and he said it was just 3rd baby. I also let him know that for some reason i am worried about the labour this time more than i did with the other 2, i think this is more so cause Jaylan wasn't breathing when he was delivered and it took them 2 minutes to resus him and Brearna stopped breathing at 3 days old, so i think it is the whole breathing thing that is getting to me and that someone the other day said be careful of Morphine as it crosses the placenta where can make the bub stop breathing, and this was one of the pain relief i was going to use as it seemed to work last time with Jaylan, as i had no drugs at all with Brearna. State of Confusion......................................... ........................................
    I finish up work on the 10th of September and let me tell you this will not come soon enough. MY boss let me know yesterday that they wont be keeping my position open for me as i have only been there for 9 months, which is fine as i wasn't planning on going back but it was the way she did it, 3 weeks before i am due to leave lol.
    The kids have been completely crazy of late and really doing my head in at the moment, i think it is cause i am so tired and apprehensive about this labour equals less patience plus with work it just doesn't stop. I am soooooooo looking forward to the couple of weeks i will have at home on my own as J will still go to Childcare for the 3 days prior to bub being born but after bub is born he will only go 1 day a week.

Sorry i have drained on abit all about me but i just needed to get it off my chest.

Hope you are all well....TAKE CARE

hi there,,
    my name is jo.. just found out today i have GD ..
    this is my 3rd pregnancy , had GD with my last one but that was 15 years ago..
    have an app 2morow with diabetes group to update me as it has been awhile LOL
    i am 27 weeks preg but they measured me today and i am 6 cm bigger like a 30 week preg .. so they have me in for an ultra sound..
    just thought i would introduce myself as i feel i will need help from you lovely ladies..

jo

hey Trac, great to read your update! Don't know if you've seen, but MamaS has had her little fella now exciting hey.

Sounds like you've got heaps going on there indeedy, and I'm sorry to hear you've got another jab in the mix . I know what you mean about straight needles hurting, mine do sometimes too (and oddly, the bent one didn't! I was petrified it was gonna break though!). That's a hard one with the stress about the breathing, I can understand you feeling nervous! I'm currently looking into using a TENS machine, would that be an option? I was petrified of having morphine as no-one in my family reacts well to it, so I avoided it. So saying, I had an epidural last time and for various reasons can't do that this time - so I'm trying to find some options for myself.

I'm intrigued that your obs isn't too fussed about induction (from the sound of it). My obs was wanting to induce me at 38.5 weeks (but I think some of that is also to do with some additional issues)... but informed me last visit that he's away! So then said he could induce at 37+3! To which I promptly said NO WAY! So mine has been pushed back to 39+3 (and equally he's always said not past 40 weeks). I was a bit peeved about him going away (to put it mildly) but of course the silver lining is that it gives me more chance to go into labour naturally which would be vastly preferrable. So cross your fingers for me, I'm going to be doing everything I can!

Interestingly my bub is measuring smack on average size, but my obs declared that she'll be bigger than DS (7lb 7oz at 39+1) which annoyed me... as who knows when this bub will be born, and my GD is controlled as well as last time - so she may not be bigger (and he should know I control my GD ok!). Wow Jaylan was a big boy tho! I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling nervous about the labour, have you thought about having a doula? I know SamiH did last time (as did I) and I'm finding it's fantastic to talk through some of my fears prior to the birth (I have the same doula as last time). I've also engaged an LC already as I am hoping to express some colostrum for bubba to have after birth if necessary (DS was given formula) and we have many dietary intolerances/allergies so would really prefer to avoid bubba having FF if possible. How were your bubs' BSL's after birth? And did any of your bubs' get given FF? (if you don't mind me asking).

Anyway, there, that's my long update in return hope those BSL's are going ok! Incidentally my endo told me about a GD patient they had who went from no insulin to 200 units in 4 weeks! Amazing huh.

Take care and belly rubs

hi Jo, I took so long writing my update that I didn't see yours! Welcome to our little thread - what timing, one of the girls just had her baby, so there's only a few of us at present. I'm sorry you're having to do the GD thing again. I don't know if it makes it better or worse if you've done it before. Be interesting to see if the way they manage it has changed over the years. Feel very free to fire away with questions. I've had GD (on insulin) with both my PG's and I'm still learning lol. GL with your sizing scan, I've heard many people say that sizing can be influenced by how bubba is sitting, so I have fingers crossed that will be the case for you - have you been consistently measuring ahead or has it just jumped up? I was told at 32 weeks that I was measuring 4 weeks ahead... but then the next visit I was back on track! So moral of the story, don't let 'em worry you too much.
    Let us know how you're going after the diabetes group.

hey belfie
    had appts today for GD, wow i learnt so much.. when i was pregnant 15 years ago.. they basically handed me the testing kit and said here test yaself .. lol .. today they taught me WHY it happens , and what it can do to bubby..
    basically my diet is correct so i am a bit worried cause i did my test today 2 hours after having something to eat and i was high.. so if this keeps up i will have to be on insulin.. buggar..
    so did you find it difficult having the insulin?

oh and as for the measuring a month ago i was 3 cm bigger then this time 6 so will be interesting to see when i go for the scan..
    i am in agony at the moment, bad pelvis pains .. i had a problem a month ago and midwife said it was ligaments .. think cause of the growth it is happening again.. who knows.. ahhhhhh been 15 years since i was preggy so this is just all new to me.. lol feel like a new mum ...

thanks for your welcome too... and will be great to have ppl to talk to who are going through it..

jo

mysticaljo - oooh wow that is a big difference. I still remember my Aunt-in-law telling me how 30 years ago when she had GD, they did a blood test once a week to monitor BSL's! Amazing huh.

I'm intrigued by what they said - can you give the quick version? Be intrigued to see if it agrees with what I was told. One thing I've really noticed is that different endos/DE's/groups seem to do things quite differently which I find quite bizarre. For example people seem to have different cut-offs and some have to do fasting BSL's and some don't (I'm a "don't"). Re the insulin, honestly it's not that bad. I was freaking out this time - I REALLY didn't want to have it. When I got there I remembered that it's really no worse than the jolly fingerpr1cks! The needles are eensy. Occasionally I get a "hurty" one but mostly it's just like fingers, no biggie. I think the mental adjustment is tough, and doing the first one - then it's fine. I was warned that because I'd been on insulin before I'd probably be on it again - and I was on it sooner, and at a higher dose this time. Tbh, given you had GD last time, I would imagine you might well end up on insulin sorry, but sometimes I think it helps to prepare yourself. Apparently often first time will be diet controlled (didn't work for me) and second time insulin. Other things that will help is a walk after dinner/lunch to try bring those pesky levels down. Oh. Just re-read your post and realised that walking may be tricky if you have a lot of pelvis pain. I have pelvic instability this time and am not allowed to do any walking (on feet/lifting as little as possible - with a toddler, yeah right! ), so I haven't been able to practice what I preach at all. Good luck doing your BSL's, I hope they behave for you.

As for me - levels are ok. I've just upped my insulin to 20 units this week and it's working a bit better... but I suspect 22 is not far off (I'm to go up in increments of 2 everytime I get a BSL of over 8). I did notice that it wasn't in isolation though, all my levels were creeping up except for breakfast which is usually in the 4's. I tried baked beans on toast this morning, as baked beans unfaillingly give me high levels, and actually got a 7.1 from them - so I guess it's back to my staple porridge, geez I'm sick of it though! I've been trying to jazz it up with peaches, or strawberries, or blueberries.. or something! I think I'll be avoiding it for a while post-birth though!

Hi Ladies

I just thought i would drop in quickly before starting dinner.

I had my ultrasound today and all looks good, bub is measuring around 6pd which is nice considering i think Jaylan was around 7pd at this stage lol Still not sure what we are having tried to have a peak but i just couldn't see lol i think i am leaning more towards a girl at the moment but i guess we will find out in a couple of weeks.... My isulin has been increased to 100units a day which is alot more than i was on with Jaylan but i guess this is my 2nd GD baby. some days it seems to be good and others well it seems to be bad. I have finished up work now (as of last friday) and it has been nice not to worry about that. It was my first day with both kids at school and childcare and i was on my own...it was quiet it was just heaven.

Belfie - How u going? Do u have a date yet? Your ticker is ticking away quickly it wont be long now....How you feeling?

Jo - How u going? i am hoping that your levels are stable so that u dont have to go on insulin, but if you do a wise person said to me remember it is medicine for the baby. and to be honest the injections are not as painful at the pin*****s......

Well best be feeding the children before they start biting at my ankles. Take Care everyone
    Trac

Morning all, I came in last week and posted but my post has disappeared. Anyway I am new to the GD, and had my diabetes education yesterday. So today I have started checking my BSL's and want to ask what is classified as being a too low reading. My fasting BSL today was 2.6 and the booklet I was given says to try and keep it within 3.5 and 5.4. I didnt eat much last night so I am guessing the low reading is due to that. What do you ladies think?

sounds fairly accurate to me csab. I was told that anything under a 4 was a hypo and to eat something ASAP - not sure how accurate that statement is though.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm 38wk+4 today, so hopefully you won't be seeing much more from me lol
    My BSL's have been fantastic lately and bub is measuring on time - no big baby or extra fluids here.

I've got a Dr's appointment next Tuesday... and they still haven't broached the subject of induction with me, so I'm guessing that's when they will.

Good luck everyone! Hope those nasty BSL's stay steady for you all!

Pantha - glad you're doing well not long till baby-town now!

Csab - I posted you a great long reply in here but it's gone dunno if you had a chance to see it? Re 2.6, that sounds way too low to me - did you feel crappy? I would have thought you'd be feeling hideous that low. I'd be double checking a reading like that (wash hands, pr!ck different finger). Have you been given dietary advice yet? There's a good handout on the Diabetes NSW website with a GD menu plan. My dietician said to go 3 meals plus 3 snacks - to try and keep BSL's steady. So definitely need supper - things like milo, yoghurt, some fruit etc all good. And also a big for you, it's always a PITA to get started, but it does get easier. Ask away with any other questions (sorry fuzzy brain can't remember the Q's from your old post).

Trac - wow, it's a heap of insulin isn't it. Does stopping work make any difference to your BSL's? I remember my BSL's actually came down once I stopped in my first PG. I'm glad bub is looking to be on the smaller side. And your peaceful day sounds blissful!

AFM, well bubba-girl will be here tomorrow! I'm so excited. Did my LAST insulin jab this morning... don't have to tomorrow as fasting from 8.30am. And I vow to do all in my power to avoid getting Type II. 3 months of this stuff is quite enuff for me! I'm just as excited about the cold ham, sushi, smoked salmon, cheese... oh and getting rid of the crutches! OMG words do not begin to describe the relief that's gonna be. It's funny, it all seems to go on for ages, then suddenly you're at the finish line - it's a great feeling. I'll still poke an eye in here tho and I wish you all the very best with the GD journey, here's to low BSL's and diet-control as much as possible!

Oh and for anyone that's interested, I've been expressing colostrum so I can hopefully avoid baby having any formula top-ups. I have about 30 ml frozen so far. Feel free to ask if you want more detail. I think it's under-sold for GD mums where it really should be presented as an option given bubs (partic of insulin-dependant mums) are so much more likely to go to SCN and need top-ups if their BSL's are low.

Belfie! I'm so excited for you hun! You are going to have your little girl tomorrow!

I don't think I mentioned it but Brocks first BSL reading was a bit low, but b/feeding him did the trick as his following 3 tests were fine no need for scn or formula. Hopefully if you have any issues you'll be the same. Thats great that you've expressed so much colostrum though.

All the best for a beautiful birth tomorrow I cannot wait to see your BA

Wow Belfie, GL for today and how exciting meeting your precious little princess today. A double yay for starting to be able to eat what you want to eat such as the cold meats, lol. Thanks re the BSL, I think it had something to do with not eating much the night before, I only ate a piece of fruit and a glass of milk, yet todays reading was heaps better 4.2. I actually didnt feel any different with yesterdays reading being low, but will definately be trying hard to keep the BSL within normal limits. GL again for today and enjoy meeting your little princess.

Panthalily - Thankyou too, Im glad your BSL's are behaving, and wow not long left for you now. As I mentioned to Belfie, my reading this morning was heaps better 4.2, so will be trying my hardest to keep it within normal limits.

Mamaspice - Hi hun, so glad Brock is going well. Wow 3wks already. Hugs

Well my first readings for my BSL yesterday went like this 2.6, 6.2, 5.2, 6.2, so was happy they stayed within the normal range. lol. Well apart from the first reading. Now lets see how today goes. lol. I ate that much yesterday, it makes wonder if I am going to put on heaps of weight eating like that. Yet everything was pretty healthy like fruit and salads and lean meat etc, so all within their requests, so fingers crossed it actually gets rid of some of the weight. lol.yet funny thing was after eating so much I felt more hungry. So need to keep an eye on that.

well............... i had my OB appt today and it turns out that i do have GD! my BSL should not of been over 5.0 and it ended up being 5.1! so not happy! so now i have an appt with Diabetes clinic or something and will have to start monitoring my BSL 4 times a day!!!!!!

So i guess i am a new memember in this group! be prepared i may have HEAPS of questions! im sooooo worried about this!

Hj. You were just over on your GTT like me! Fingers crossed you will control it with diet, and if you can, the chances of any problems are very very minimal. I know it's a shock but please do not worry yourself too much about this. And just remember it's by no way your fault either. It's those pesky placental hormones affecting the way your insulin works and you will return to normal after the birth. I ended up on a small amount of insulin. Bub wasn't overly huge, well not like a 10 pounder or anything anyway. He was 3.7kg (8lb4oz) at 38w5d. His initial BSL after birth was a bit too low (a common problem with gd bubs) but breastfeeding him fixed it and his bsl's were back to normal so no need for SCN etc.

s again. The girls in here are great. You'll get heaps of support.

HJ - Welcome but sorry you have to be in here in the first place. hugs, especially just being over. Such a shame.

Mamaspice - Hope everything is going well with you and your little Brock. hugs

Well the past couple of days have had some not so good BSL's, I couldnt believe one had actually reached 10.4. Most of the time i have managed to keep within the normal range though. Anyway need to keep an eye on this a bit more. i guess I am slowly starting to accept the idea that I have GD, not sure if I really believed them at first.

Hello Ladies
    It feels like forever since i was in here last, wow it is very quiet in here too everyone seems to be having their bubs.

HJ - Welcome to the small group......wow just over for the GTT that has to be unfair, hopefully with a controlled diet you may get to stay away from the insulin. The best advice i ever got was that to remember this is not your fault and that everything you do is for the health of your bub. If you have any questions i will try and answer them the best i can but the person who is fantastic with answers is Belfie, so hopefully she wil drop in from time to time....

Csab - i know it is sometimes it is hard to accept that u have GD but hopefully once bub arrives your diabetes will just disappear. Wow at what stage did they pick up your GD? Have you had any other pregnancies with GD?

Belfie - Hope you and your family are doing well with your new addition

Mama - Hope you and your family are enjoying your new addition

AFM - Well i am on the down hill stretch now, they have increased my insulin again so now i am on 108 units a day. Bub looks like it will be a decent weight which is great as they are not concerned that he/she is too big. I had OB and Endo appointments on Tuesday and i refuesed to leave until i had an induction date, which i now have for next week......as i have friends here on BB i am not stating the date to anyone but just say i will be holdng my bub by next Friday YA!!!! They discussed that as soon as i arrive that they will be putting me on an insulin infusion to keep my levels stable through the labour so once i am there i wont be leaving until this bub is out.... I am excited but also quite scared at the same time as i know what labour feels like and it terrifies me but i know i will get through it and hold my precious bub soon. SO probably should get organised now and pack a hospital bag and wash bubs clothes................

Take Care everyone and i will chat to you all soon
    Trac

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast