Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes Chatter #6

MammaSpice - thanks for the even tho it was over the internet i sure needed it :-) must say i hate my placenta's! LOL first one didnt produce enough progesterone resulting in my needing prog injections - now this one causing GD! LOL - all i can say is thank goodness im stopping at 2! :-)

Csab - How are u finding all the blood testing and diet watching? how long have u been doing it for now?

Trac - How long have u been on the insulin for? was that because ur levels were too high? how many times a day do u need insulin? that thought really really scares me! Also being on a insulin infusion - what does that mean for u? why do u need it for? sorry for questions - just wanna prepare myself as much as possible incase thats me soon!

also other questions
    1. the diet - wow by the sounds of it i need to eat more than what im eating - so my gosh am i going to put on heaps of weight!
    2. its the carbs that produce the sugar am i correct? if so than im not entirely sure why u would want to load up on the carbs more than one normally would -dosent that interfere with ur readings? so too keep ur BSL lower shouldn't u not eat as much????

i did have my appt with GD lady today - however still a little overwhelmed! my 1st BSL after lunch time fasting was 4.9! guess thats a start!
    Im also worried cause i start prac at the hospy soon, so im worried about having to take my BSL on prac - i really don't want to be an inconvience for them! would it be bad to not do it?

Been thinking and im very confused!!!!

If when doing my BSL.... if my 1st one of the morning (fasting) has to be under 5.5 and than the other 3 that i need to do 2hrs after breaky lunch and dinner have to be under 7.0 than how come my BSL of 5.1 has classed me as having GD????????

so i had to ring through my results of the last 3 days to my OB and she said my levels 2hrs after the meals were perfect - and my morning fasting ones were great also however although under 5.5 she said 5.0 or under would be better - she than said to keep doing what im doing - Rolls eyes - does that mean keep testing or keep eating the way im eating or both???? i really don't want to be doing this anymore!

Keep eating the way u are and testing regularly till they tell u to stop, im still baffled like u hun

Hi all,

HJ - My levels have been abit high after lunch, I need to keep more of an eye on it at lunch time. This is just my opinion hun, but I would keep doing the monitoring, and eating right until they tell you to stop. As someone had mentioned before in the other thread that it maybe the pathology that measures differently. They say too that as you get further along it can get harder to manage on diet alone. Just hang in there hun, and maybe at your next visit talk to your ob about your query, or even talk to the dietician and endocronolgist that they have you see. The endocronologist will be the best person to talk to than the ob though. hugs

Hi all,

Just wanted to update you all.

As mentioned I dont think Im doing very well with the lunch time BSl's, had one one day at 13.1, which I was quite shocked about. Yet the fasting BSl and after breakfast BSL's havent been too bad. After dinner BSl's have been not too bad only the occassional ones that have been over. I think i did better the first week.

Well todays scan was ok, was relieved to see that the BPD had come back within normal ranges, still on the small side, but at least on the graph, I think by looking at it about the 10th percentile, way better than like the 3rd percentile. Huge relief. However this time the bubs abdominal circumference has dropped off the graph. Less than the 5th percentile, and bubs weight is sitting at approx the 6th percentile. Est weight is aprox 788gm. Anyhow they are going to do another scan in 3wks time, to see how bub is growing, and I have been told that if the next few growth scans arent very good, then bub will be delivered sooner rather than later. At the moment they are hoping to push it as close as possible to 35-36wks. Yet it all depends on the next growth scan or two, which will be the deciding factors. Ohhh and bub is still breech, which doesnt make any difference for me due to the c/s.

Hi Ladies,
    I wonder if I can join this thread - I've just found out I have GD today after having the GTT this morning. My level was 13.5, so not so great I guess. I am feeling a bit down about it as I have had so many problems in this pregnancy that I feel like my body just isn't good at being pregnant. We also had a huge scare with the baby and a soft marker for down syndrome at the 19 weeks scan (we decided not to have further testing and just hope for the best) and now I am wondering if there is any link to GD and chromosomal issues? I hope not, I am already stressed enough! Baby was measuring on the big side 3 weeks ago (in the 70th percentile) so now I feel guilty that I have caused the increase in size....

I'm petty surprised to get GD as I have a healthy diet, however I haven't been able to exercise while pregnant very much as I have arthritis which restricts my mobility.

I will see the diabetes ed person on Thursday, but I was wondering about the monitoring - does it hurt to ***** your finger? I am a pianist by profession so puncturing my fingers daily sounds absolutely awful to me!

Thecolourbrown - Welcome hun, sorry it has to be in this thread though. As far as I know alot of women get GD in pgcy, so honestly I dont think there is a link with a chromosome abnormalty, yet dont quote me on that, but if you are worried just ask your OB next time you see them or just throw the question out to the diabetes educator when you go. As for the monitoring of BSl's, I was so worried that it was going to hurt but it really isnt too bad, they will show you on how to do it anyway, and using alternate fingers. I found out this pgcy that apart from being ana positive which I need to take aspirin (have been for my past 3pgcy's as well, but this time I have been told I have thyroid probs, so on thyroid tablets, then on top of that now the GD. So that was a shock for me too. I am getting used to the idea though, but they are telling me that bubs is on the small side too. I mentioned to the OB at the hospital today, that I think I my body is falling apart this time with everything that has been thrown at me this time, which made him laugh, then the BP monitor wasnt working so he said you are falling apart. lol. So honestly Im not sure my body is liking being pgnt this time round. I think i am just getting too old. GL with everything hun, and try not to be too hard on yourself. hugs

Hi ladies I am new to this thread if I can join in
    I was diagnosed with GD yesterday and am doing my blood tests 2 hours after eating now
    Doing ok so far *touch wood* but didn't realise I was supposed to do a fasting 1 this morning so I think I will just do 1 tomorrow morning to make up for it.
    The doctors suspected I had GD when they felt my belly and its so incredibly rock hard and enormous. At 26 weeks I look like I am full term.
    Scanning tomorrow but apparently its no bub thats big its the amount of waters I have thats making me so big.

Hi everyone,

i'm sticking my nose back in here cos I just had my bub (yaaay) and have had GD with my last 2 PG's, both on insulin, so was gonna throw out some info from what i've learned the last few times! Sorry to hear there's lots of new ladies at the moment, but this thread will help give you lots of and lots of information.

The bad bits: it's a PITA, finger pr!cking CAN make your fingers sore, but it's not too bad, you do need to keep monitoring your BSL's till the end of PG. If you end up on insulin your baby will often have their BSL's monitored from birth (for first 24 hours) and may be admitted to special care nursery. Also if you end up on insulin, they will not usually let you go past 40 weeks gestation. Doing the diet on top of the pregnancy restrictions IS a pain.

The good bits: the diet isn't that bad, it's just about eating healthily and spreading your carb load out throughout the day so you don't get big spikes in your sugar levels - that's what makes bubba's fat. You won't usually end up putting on much weight - both times I stopped gaining weight from GD diagnosis onwards (putting on 5.5kg first PG and 10kg second PG). Injecting insulin isn't actually that much different to the BSL's - the thought is scarier than the reality. IT ISN'T YOUR FAULT! And if you have to go on insulin, it also isn't your fault. Basically the placenta & the pancreas play tug of war and your body is the battlefield.... in essence, [email protected] just happens sometimes! Don't stress that you ate too much chocolate/chips/potato/something yummy and somehow mysteriously caused it - you didn't!

To the ladies who's OGTT result was just over (5.1)... basically GD can crop up anytime during the PG, but is MOST likely between 24-28 weeks. Even though you only just met the criteria (and yes, a blood test IS different to your finger ***** test), your insulin resistance is only likely to go up. Ask your endo/DE to explain to you why you really do have it - it's worth understanding why. I also totally get that feeling of "bah, I don't really have this do i?". In essence looking after yourself with GD is all for the baby - you're not likely to be symptomatic... but the issues for bub if it is constantly getting way too much sugars are more problematic for such a little body. So yes, you DO need to keep monitoring to make sure those pesky BSL's don't get higher. There are certain times (can't remember when sorry!) that BSL's are likely to be higher (maybe 34 weeks!?!? ) so you need to keep an eye on them, you can't just assume they'll stay steady. Because it's a placenta/pancreas thing it can vary by the day...a meal that gives you a good BSL one day may spike you well over the next day even though it was exactly the same food!

hj1981- I would have thought that a midwifery course of all things should be VERY understanding of BSL checking. As for eating more carbs, I found I was having more snacks & more carbs but in steady amounts - I didn't put on weight. You don't want to restrict your carbs during PG cos that's bad for you and bubba, you need a certain amount of carbs. It's different to ppl with Type II (my dad) who seem to limit carbs more than PG ppl do). I know it's a shock to get used to but you're doing the best thing for bubba. I can totally understand you hating your placenta too! Don't you just wish things would be easy sometimes! Fire away if you have any more questions.

csab - that's an ugly high one hun just remember that being tired/sick/stressed can spike you... but if you keep getting levels like that I think they'll put you on insulin. With me he said if I had 3 in a week over 8, I'd be on insulin. It wasn't so much about one individual reading but the fact they were all tending to get higher (even though there was still good readings in amongst them).

Trac - I'm so excited... this week for you! Wondering if you're holding your bubba yet, I shall have to go stalk the BA's!

thecolourbrown - aah big for you too. Let yourself have a cry and get it out (I always have a good bawl or three when I get GD!). As for mobility, both of my PG's I've had pelvic instability issues and just couldn't go walking (last 2-3 weeks of this PG I was on crutches)... so it wasn't ideal. While they say that 10 mins walk after each meal really helps with BSL's, if you can't then you can't. The other things I tried were some stationary bike cycling and some swimming - dunno if either of those is an option? Re chromosomal issues & GD, I haven't heard of anything. Re the fingers... ah understandable! I found there was partic places on my fingers that didn't hurt as much... the calloused pads on my middle and ring fingers seem to work for me. Places that are "out of the way", as they can get a little sore if you keep pr!cking a "high traffic" area IYKWIM.

kat - gosh it's a run on new folks, you get a free hug too! . As for size, well I had some extra fluid with mine this time too, but not as much as you from the sound of it. GL with the scan tomorrow.

Um I think that's everything I wanted to say. There's a great sample menu plan here (about half way down the page).
    Any questions, feel free to ask, I'll answer if I can. Oh and different endo's/DE's will ask you to do different things and work to slightly different numbers. Apparently here in AUS there isn't a specific standard (seems crazy to me!) so for example some of us had to do fasting BSL's and some didn't. Some had to stay under 8 post meal and others under 7.5. And a meal that suits one person may not suit you. It's just trial & error to find out what works.

GL and sending big group huggies

Awww belfie, Annika is just gorgeous!

Hey have you been testing your BSL's since giving birth? I hadn't really except for a couple of times during the day which showed good readings. But i did a fasting pr#ck test this morning and it was 5.7 is this normal for non pregnant? Or do I perhaps still have diabetes ? I have my postnatal GTT next saturday so I'm all will be okay.

oooh thanks MamaSpice- your little man is a handsome little tacker too! I can't believe he's a month & 5 days old already!!

As for BSL's, I've been pretty slack, tested once in hossie (6.9) and then again after pizza (always a bad meal for me) and got 7.6. Then I was a bit freaked out, cos they said to test it but didn't tell me what was good or bad!!! So I asked my GP and she said not to worry about testing till I did the OGTT post natally. She said unless I was getting 9's or 10's it really didn't matter, and it's not like I have to worry about excess glucose impacting baby anymore! I don't know about the fasting, but I just did a quick google which suggested that normal fastings are between 4 and 6, so based on that, you should be fine. I know that when i look at my Dad's (Type 2) BSL's, the criteria are really very different compared to gestational diabetes. I have fingers crossed for you to get a lovely normal result next Saturday

Kat and thecolourbrown - i am so sorry you both have to be in this thread! all the testing is not fun - but im finding the support in here to be great! I have almost made it through my first week of testing!

Csab - keep an eye on those BSL result! i really don't want to see you go on insulin! :-( also i hope bub keeps growing so u don't need that early ceaser! oh and pft on being too old! ur never too old :-)

Belfie - thankyou - u have given me the kick up the butt to keep on testing - for bubs sake - i really hope my levels don't get higher tho! but in saying that i just did a test and i got 6.0!!!!! my highest yet!

MamaSpice - Good luck on saturday! fingers are crossed for you!

Belfie - Thankyou hun, especially for the info. Im glad you told me about how they made you go on insulin with just a few high BSl's in the week. I am quite nervous about it TBH. I have the dieitician on Tuesday, not sure they are going to be very thrilled with some of my readings. I am still having a bit of trouble with the BSl's after lunch. So Im starting not to like my chances with staying off insulin. Im glad you and your little princess are doing well. hugs Ohh I think stress has taken a part in the readings, maybe not a huge part though. Im trying realy hard not to stress lol, but gee its getting hard not too. Ohh I had to say little Annika is simply gorgeous, in that pic she even looks like she is smiling and at such peace. You did so well hun. hugs

HJ - Thanks hun, Im glad you have that kick up the pants you needed. Im glad your doing well at keeping those levels within range. I know the last thing I need right now is going on insulin, I do have to say though, I did well yesterday. lol. Nothing over. Honestly hun, I dont feel old hehehe, just my body is telling me its old I think lol.

Kat - Sorry to see that you have come over to this side, but welcome anyway. lol. How are your BSL's going? How did your U/S go?

Mamaspice - Hows that precious little Brock going? What a cutie. hugs

Well still trying hard to keep BSL's within range, but luckily the lunch time ones are a bit better than last weeks, I guess, but still over. I think yesterday was the best in ages with none over.

Ohh Belfie thanks for that sample menu plan.

Hi all, Well my udate is that at todays hospital appt with the endocronologist and dietician, that I need to start giving myself insulin twice a day. So tomorrow I have to back back to the hospital and have education class on giving myself insulin. I am so not looking forward to it, actually dreading it. The thought is making me feel sick.

I hope everyone else is ok, and managing well. hugs

Hey don't sweat the insulin. I've been on night time insulin for about 10 weeks now and it's no big deal. Doesn't hurt at all and is over and done with in just a few seconds. When they show you how to do it they will get you to have a go yourself, and once you have done that it will all be fine. You will walk out of the hospital without a worry!!

Thanks very much Blackorchid, I think its just getting past the first one. I hope all is going well with you. hugs

Csab - so sorry to hear you've gotta go on insulin it's true tho it's really not that bad. If you can do pr!ck your fingers (and I know you can do that!) then you can definitely do insulin. As you say the thought is the worst part, especially the fear and anticipation beforehand. You'll actually feel proud of yourself once youve mastered it and it will be a relief to see those pesky BSLs improve. Just think of it as medicine for baby - you can do it

Thanks Belfie, May I ask how was your weight gain after starting insulin? The dietician wants me to gain more weight. For the life of me i am trying to figure out how I am going to do that, especially since following their guidelines. I feel stuffed without eating even more.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast