... 4567816 ...

thread: Gestational Diabetes Chatter #6

Nov 2004
    Melbourne VIC

Belfie, how many weeks are you?
    I did my GTT at 17wks and I had it then, so who knows when it actually started but I would be interested to know.
    Good luck with your test tomorrow. Fingers are crossed for you.

Nov 2004
    Melbourne VIC

Belfie, how many weeks are you?
    I did my GTT at 17wks and I had it then, so who knows when it actually started but I would be interested to know.
    Good luck with your test tomorrow. Fingers are crossed for you.

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

linzy - i tend to agree with belfie, maybe try something else for brekky? like belfie said some things set some people off & not others - for me it was rice. no matter how small the portion of a low GI rice like basmati, my levels would shoot up. i didn't reaslise they could incude so early! i was induced but refused until i was 40 weeks & my compromise was ctg monitoring & a couple of growth scans. what does your ob or doc say? in the end, the endo made recommendations but it was the ob that had the final say over induction, if that makes sense?

belfie - it does seem very early. how did you go with the post-natal fasting glucose test? my levels were a little high with that, but just showed glocose impairment & the endo said just randomly check fasting levels & it's only a problem if over 7. obviously now you're PG it'd be different, but they wouldn't normally check in a subsequent PG until 14 weeks or so, would they? ugh, i used to know all this stuff but my brain has turned to mush! good luck with the test today - let us know how you go

Add belfie on Facebook

Oct 2007
    Melbourne

hey guys - well I've decided I'm doing things the wrong way round. I was given this form to do the fasting one before I got PG, but a) i forgot and b) I got PG very quickly. So I was gonna just go do it now... but DH has talked me out of it, saying that the doc will prolly want different tests so I should just go see her first.

Megan - I'm only just over 4 weeks preggo, so verrrrrry early.

Sloane - my post-natal fasting test was ok but I did get a few high-ish ones on my own monitor.

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

that sounds like a better plan!

Aug 2009
    Melbourne, Victoria

Belfie: I have tried porridge, weetbix and toast..but just been to see the diabetic ob at the hospital yesteday and she bumped me up to 11 units in the morning and 8 at night. We'll see how that goes, she thinks it might be because I am having weetbix, then an hour later a banana then an hour later checking my levels which is a false reading. So I am to wait two hours before having fruit or having the fruit with the cereal and doing my levels 2 hours after either. But they still wanna keep my insulin at 11 regardless as I got a 12.7 from just weetbix and a banana the other day. But after dinners and lunches and before breaky are all good

Aug 2009
    Melbourne, Victoria

linzy - i tend to agree with belfie, maybe try something else for brekky? like belfie said some things set some people off & not others - for me it was rice. no matter how small the portion of a low GI rice like basmati, my levels would shoot up. i didn't reaslise they could incude so early! i was induced but refused until i was 40 weeks & my compromise was ctg monitoring & a couple of growth scans. what does your ob or doc say? in the end, the endo made recommendations but it was the ob that had the final say over induction, if that makes sense?

belfie - it does seem very early. how did you go with the post-natal fasting glucose test? my levels were a little high with that, but just showed glocose impairment & the endo said just randomly check fasting levels & it's only a problem if over 7. obviously now you're PG it'd be different, but they wouldn't normally check in a subsequent PG until 14 weeks or so, would they? ugh, i used to know all this stuff but my brain has turned to mush! good luck with the test today - let us know how you go
    I got confused with the induction thing, they meant in the later weeks they would have to induce. When I rang the nurse back she explained it all, oops! As for basmati rice..yes me too!! I got a high 12 bsl after a small portion of it last week! Have tried a few different cereals and toast for breaky, some either don't fill me up, or have hidden things in them that just make my levels blow out. We'll see how I go with the new insulin levels

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

linzy - ah, that makes sense. i hope the new levels make a difference & hopefully the 2 hours between eating helps as well. how do you feel about the possibility of being induced?

Nov 2004
    Melbourne VIC

Belfie, I vaguely recall reading somewhere (maybe on BB?) that it's not recommended to do a GTT until the 2nd tri, so I would definitely wait until you see your Dr
    At my endo appt after DS was born he told me I would need a GTT in next pregnancy at around 16 weeks, but to regularly check my BSL's from the moment I find out I'm pregnant just to make sure they are under control. But, you're already on to that

Aug 2009
    Melbourne, Victoria

Sloane: I wouldn't mind if they wanted to induce me, as long as bubs was healthy and not toooo early I'd be ok with it. I'm still a little worried about bring induced by breaking my waters or giving me drugs to start as I have heard it is more painful. I would prefer a c section if they wanted to induce me, but I guess it's not really an option. Just have to wait and see how we go over the next week.

My insulin this morning still hasn't brought my breaky level down (3 weetbix) and I didn't eat my normal banana an hour later and I was still up at 9.6. So tomorrow I am going to try porridge as I know it has way less carbs than weetbix, and if that works then I will stick to porridge again, don't really want to inject any more insulin cos I'm scared of having hypos now!

The pelvic pain I was having is getting really bad now, I've just started waking every hour with my hip and leg in agony - change sides and an hour later that leg and hip is agony. I guess it would be nice to be rid of it if they did decide to induce me as another 7 weeks of that pain would really depress me! The Ob gave me a script for Panadeine Forte to help with it, I don't really want to take them all the time or in the middle of the night either.

Nov 2007

Hi Ladies,

Ex-GD'er here and was passing through and thought I'd say hi.

Artechim: Regarding the "Coke" comment I have recently just read that a study showed that ladies who consumed coke (or cola flavoured beverages) leading up to and during their PG had a higher rate of GD diagnosis than those who did not consume "cola flavoured" beverages.. I certainly plan on giving up coke before i plan to TTC again.

belfie: CONGRATULATIONS on your PG... See comment above about coke and as far as I've been told or read it is just recommended to loose a % of weight (can't remember what %) before PG and exercise and go onto your Low GI diet as soon as you conceive. I have the luxury of having my entire GD diet written down in a diary so I'm going to use that as a guide next time round. P.S. Don't use Dr Google - he can be a nasty man!!!

Linzy: Hi.. The new info on testing 2 hours after your last piece of food is right and I'd expect that to affect your levels, I used to have either 1/2 cup of porridge with skim milk, box of sultanas and some cinnamon sprinkled over it OR 2 weet bix with the same. The cinnamon is known to help stabilise glucose levels so sprinkle it on whatever you think it'll taste good on. I used to also get away with a couple of slices of peach (goulburn valley in the fruit juice - just rinse under water to remove the juice) on either porridge or weet bix. I gotta say i LOVED these breakfasts for the entire time i had GD and just alternated them depending on what i felt like.

With Banana you also need to make sure it is only just ripe as a JUST RIPE banana is low gi but the more ripe they become the higher their GI reading becomes so i found i'd have to eat them the first day they were yellow (buy the green ones)..

Regarding the breakfast choices, with the bread have you tried different bread types, i found I could only eat the Wholemeal Vienna bread from Bakers Delight. All other bread sent my levels way up and in fast it was only bread & pasta that spiked mine during my entire PG.

Good luck.

Aug 2009
    Melbourne, Victoria

I have been having weetbix with equal sprinkled on top, and as for the breads I've tried wholemeal, multigrain, and mixed grain. I was originally having porridge with a couple of strawberries cut up and mixed and my levels weren't as high, so am gonna try that. This morning i had two slices of multigrain toast and my bsl was 9.6 and that was without the banana..and yes I was eating over ripe bananas..i'll change that too

Thanks for all the advice and support girls, I had my scan today and bub is 2.1 kilos so she is not going to be a hug gd baby anyhow

Aug 2009
    Melbourne, Victoria

Well I have tried weetbix, wholemeal multigrain toast, and porridge over the last 4 days and all keep my levels up near 9 and over. So I'm now on 15 units in the morning and 10 at night

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

linzy - at least you have lots of room to move with those doses, they're still on the low side - i started on 12 before breakfast & 12 before dinner & they were upped once (although i can't remember to what now!). of course, there are diff types of insulin so don't take that as gospel!

how are your fasting levels? just wondering cos are you having a snack before bed? i found my fasting levels were higher if i went too long overnight without eating. dunno if that's relevant for you!

Nov 2004
    Melbourne VIC

Linzy, it took me ages to find a bread that I could eat. I eventually found a white bread believe it or not that's low GI and I didn't have a problem with that. I think it's just called EnerGI and I think it's Tip Top or Sunblest brand. All the grainy breads made my levels shoot up.
    I couldn't eat most fruit, although apples were ok.

Sloane makes a good point about the snack before bed too. I would often have a glass of milk before bed and that always helped my levels in the morning.

Aug 2009
    Melbourne, Victoria

Hi ladies

I know it's not a huge dose yet and there are others to try (Altho I just picked up my prescription yesterday...5 boxes of 5 insulin pens! 25 pens!! I feel bad if I don't use them all, specially people out there who might not be able to afford it!) I have heard some women have been on 120 units a day of insulin towards the end..I don't wanna get that high as wouldn't that make hypos more common? I'm terrified of having a hypo, thats why I panic when the nurse ups my dose!

My fasting levels aren't too bad 5.4 roughly last three days they have been 5.7 and 6. And I have been having a glass of milk and two slices of toast before bed as it wasn't affecting my levels but since my levels are climbing in the morning I was just having milk, then I got a 6 so I called the nurse as I enjoy my milk and toast at bedtime! So now I'm up to 10 units at night my level this morning was 5 so I can still have the milk and toast which is good cos I'm bloody starving by 10pm. Although I had the same bean soup I've had in the past and this time even after the insulin my levels 8.5 post dinner..so dunno about the soup anymore, damn...it was really yummy!

I've switched to the unripe bananas as well as fruit doesn't seem to effect me that much. I can still eat strawberries and peaches for snacks. I've even had maccas chicken nuggets and chips twice and 2 hour post levels from that was 7.2 and 7.3..weird, I actually thought it would skyrocket! Not that I make a habit of eating maccas, thats the only times, stuck out on the road and being so hungry I just gave in assuming my levels would climb too high but they didn't.

Anyhoo thanks for popping in to give me advice ladies I really appreciate it!

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Snowchickie, that is interesting about the Coke thing - I love it when research backs up my crackpot ideas lol. It makes sense though, because the body does keep a 'memory' of high sugars.

Linzy, I was on about 120 units of insulin near the end but I didn't have that many hypos - I think I had about 4-5 from the time I started insulin at 30 weeks.

Aug 2009
    Melbourne, Victoria

The Coke theory doesn't work in my case as I don't drink the stuff, gives me stomach aches and keeps me awake so I have always steered away from it. But I wonder if there is something else I was drinking or eating that could of had the same effect as this is the second time I've had GD...got me thinking now

Only 4 or 5 hypos?! Even one scares me enough, I'm pretty sure I had one at work at 20 weeks, got really weak, shakey, nauseaus, sweaty and felt like I was going to die. I had a can of softdrink and a chocolate bar (as back then I didn't know jelly beans was better than chocolate) I do now. It took me 24 hours to get over the nausea feeling though, but it scared me stupid! But they had done the GTT at 17 weeks and didn't find it so while I thought all along it was a hypo the doc said it was most likely dehydration and low blood pressure.

Here's something interesting...I didnt get to sleep last night until 5am, and slept until 11am so I thought I better not take my morning insulin as it would make my dinner insulin too close and make me ill. My fasting was 5 (even after toast and milk before bed) so the 10 units at night are working. I had my normal porridge with equal sugar in it...and..my 2 hours post breaky was 6.9! LOWER than when I take my insulin!!?? It was also lower after my lunch too at 7.2 normally its up near 9 for both and I ate exactly the same lunch. I'm really confused now!

I see the nurse on Monday so I'll see what she thinks

... 4567816 ...