Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #2

Hey girls,

I went to the diabetes doctor this morning and he said I won't need to go on insulin so I was very happy and relieved to hear that. I just have to watch my blood sugar levels, so going to try and watch everything I put in my mouth so my levels aren't too high over the next two weeks, because I have another appt with him in two weeks time to see how things are tracking.

Thanks for the pointers on the inducing, I just assumed because it will be a bigger baby you will need to be induced, so I will chat to my obstetrician when I see him next to see what he says. I personally don't want to deliver a 10 pound baby naturally, well that is what I am picturing anyway haha

I am feeling much more positive about the whole thing today, I think hearing that I don't need insulin made me think, ok, you can do it.

Sandles - I was first diagnosed at 26 weeks, and I am now 31 weeks.

Shell xxx

Thanks girls. I was first diagnosed at 26 weeks with GD and actually feeling so much more relieved now that I know I won't need insulin. The diabetes doctor said I should be fine, just monitor what I am eating and I have my next apt in two weeks time, so I will be working hard to stay below 7.0 during the day. Good to know I won't need to be induced though, I have just been reading up on articles which say if you have GD expect to be induced around 38 weeks. I am going to ask for a measurement scan as well, to see how big little DJ is now, hopefully not too big eeeek. I don't want to deliver a 10 pounder eeeek.

For lunch today had a 6 inch subway - wholemeal with vegie pattie. Two hr reading 6.0.

I might need to go on insulin, I'm not fully sure yet.
    My OB said I might need a little bit, and I guess it will start soon, like maybe next week or within a couple weeks. Depends on what my educator lady says.
    I see her tomorrow.

So below 7 during the day is good?

My doc said that later on in preg. Im today 31 weeks could need insulin but all is great for now. She saying that it gets harder for yr sugar to stay OK at the end of pregnancy.

Well I just saw my endocronologist - for the last time! He is so pleased with my results that I only have to phone him every couple of weeks until I am delivered. Even gave me instructions on what to do with my insulin the day of my c section! So no more blood tests, no more special appointments. JUst have my Ob now checking my sugars. I am booked in for a 2 hour GTT 6 weeks after baby is born and he is very interested to see if the GDis going to go away since I have a family history of Type 2 Diabetes but I had a normal test in September '06. Hopefully it will be like with my last child and within 4 hours of delivery everything will drop back to normal. FIngers Crossed!
    Good luck everyone!

That is great news :-)

Shell - our babies are due same time - mines on the 14th of March!

Kirsten when are you due - thats excellent!

That is great to hear Caz :-) Do you know what you are having or keeping it a surprise? We are having a little boy, calling him DJ (Daniel Joseph) :-)

It is getting soooo close that is for sure, so looking forward to it. My hubby is in Melbourne tonight, so I am enjoying my time alone tonight. Better enjoy the peace while it lasts because once little DJ arrives, it will be full steam ahead :-)

Shell xxx

Shell - we are having a boy too - I have a ten year old DS so he's very excited. !! Calling him Seb (Sebastian).

Are you all organised? We just layby-ed & bought things last weekend.

Hoping the cot is delivered tomorrow!

Caz

Yeah we are both very excited. His little room is all set-up basically, just a few more things to buy but otherwise it is decorated and the cot is ready for him to sleep in kehehee We have our baby shower on 9 Feb, so hopefully we will get the remainder of the things we need and then we will be ready to go. I am using Baby Bee Hinds cloth nappies, so this weekend I am doing pre-wash on them. I will still use disposables for when we are out and about. I also need to clean some car seats we had given to us as well. Lots of little things to do before little DJ arrives. Just getting really excited. I also need to get the bits and pieces this weekend for my hospital bag. A friend of mine told me that her friend's water broke at 31 weeks eeeeek and that is where I am up to, so better to be safe and have everything ready to go, just in case :-)

Are you all set for your little boy's arrival? I love his name, soooo cute :-)

Ye I need to pack too, wanna buy heaps of cheap undies for the hospital.

Some interesting observation.....

Tonight I knew I may have a high reading on the sugar test as I had no food in the house except for party pies, lettuce and peas and had a bit of apple cider.

Just checked the level after 2 hrs - 8.2. Hubby said check it again, came at 7.4. Then checked it a third time - 7.2.

Makes me wonder how accurate this thing is!

The BGL meters have a variance of up to 1.5m/mol on any reading.....also make sure you have washed your hands before you test as any residual food on your fingers can give a false reading.

Oh and re the grapes....I don't eat them so cant help you there!!!

Yep washed hands with soap and towel dried well.

I have discovered if you drop yr blood but its not enough then do it again in a space of second the reading comes false too.

Hey Caz, baby Benjamin is due by c section February 25, so I'll be 38 weeks 2 days. GOing to try and talk my ob into bringing it forward a week. I had my last child at 37 1/2 weeks and he was fine. No breathing problems or BS dips after delivery. I am just so ready for this to be over! I haven't even thought about my hospital bag except to think that I need to pack it! Trying to remember what I took last time and what I regret not taking! GOing to start putting some reading material together as it is a perfect opportunity to catch up on all the books I haven't read!
    Anyway, got to go and have some brekky. What delicious item will I have this morning? Sometimes I just can't be bothered eating!

My machine seems to work perfectly fine, but yeah I always make sure I wash my hands before use because of the food residue etc. I have some alcoholic wipes by the bed for my morning reading as well, since I am too tired to get out of bed to do the reading so my hubby normally brings it to me (only on some ocassions mind you haha).

Heya ladies. xx
    How're you all doing?

I'm doing better. Lately I've been getting 5's, so I'm happy with that.
    Had a huge breakdown yesterday. I went to a little kids birthday party, so much nice "bad" food. I controlled myself. lol. I thought I did well, and it was so hard, it's the first time I've kinda been put to the test. Lol. So then I come home to my DP having all this greasy, fatty hamburger and hot chips & gravy. Such a nice kick in the teeth for me. Lol. I totally cracked it!
    He claims he's given up things, but in actual fact he hasn't really.

Yeah I have been doing really well lately, since my diabetes doctor appt I have been getting low readings, nothing high at all, the highest was a 7.4, which is high but not too bad, well according to my doctor anyway. That was only 2 readings at that. The rest have been fairly low which is great. I am still eating the foods I like, just watching how much of it I eat and making sure I balance things out. I slipped up last night and ate pizza for dinner and that would my reading up high, so decided to do another test in another 30 mins and it came down to 7.4, so I was happy with that. I have also found if I drink heaps of water before a test it brings down my sugar levels, so just a little trick I have learnt

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast