Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #3

I am seeing my obstetrician this week to find out if I will need to be induced or not. I would prefer for the baby to come out naturally though, so shall see what he says. I suppose it all depends on how big my baby is at the moment. Hoping he will send me off for a growth scan or at least give me an idea on his size.

I have cut out all junk food like that completely, I sometimes treat myself with hot chips though because I crave them, but it doesn't affect my levels since I don't have too many.

I am low 5's or high 4's before breaky, med 5 or early 6's 2 hours after breaky, then mid to late 6's 2 hours after lunch, and mid 6's after dinner...Mind you depends on what I eat....

Shell, yr readings sound better than mine, so strange why u may have to go on insulin.

The dr said baby was not big, but I've got lots of fluid around (which is part of the diabetes).

Ye would be great if we dont have to be induced....

That is why I am so confused.... My blood pressure has always been normal as well, so I just don't understand. I plan on talking to my obstetrician about it for his view. I suppose every diabetes doctor and educator are different though hey?

Oh ok, I will let you know how I go with the obstetrician.

Yeah fingers crossed.....

Shell - are there any low GI Foods which may push yr levels up?

No..... mind you if I ever have rice noodles that will always push them up, so I now stay clear away from them. My levels have been pretty good today.

Argh so tired, but need to work back today, might just stay back a little....

My hubby and I couldn't be bothered cooking so went up to McDonalds which we never ever do and had a burger (no bun) chips and diet coke. I don't eat the bread normally because I am gluten intolerant and yeast affects me big time. But anyway, my reading was only 6.8 which I was pretty happy with, considering I had chips :-) Just very naughty for having the chips, tried not to eat the whole thing though.... Made me feel better after the day I had.... ;-)

Hi Shell, must be something about being pregnant. We had KFC for dinner and I just had to have some chips and a burger (have been really hungry today). Checked by BSL and it hit 8.3 which isn't too bad considering I had most of the chips. Can feel the indigestion starting to kick in now, so I think a Zantac could be for desert!

Yep after just eating a salad with thai beef for lunch I was starving for dinner this weekend. So DH got me 6 nuggets and a cheeseburger. Reading was 7.1!

Today my doc told me off (kinda) for eating junk food!

It is funny how things you would expect to make your readings go off the scale, and don't.....

gkk33 Guest

Hi Shell,
    I have been following a diet like that ->gluten-free, sugar-free, caffeine-free, no sweet tastes diet. I have managed to keep the blood sugar below 6.7 for two weeks following that philosophy. I got some frutiy chews from the Diabetes shop and also some sugar free bisuits from Wollies and those fruity ones from Arnotts. It's really hard sometimes though when all you can think of is all the nice food out there....
    Gina

Priceline sell Celebrity slim fruity chews - they are really delicious - the flavours are cherry/strawberry.
    Also found some great Low GI choc bars, including one that tastes like Picnic.

thanks for the tips girls :-)

A word of warning with the sugar free stuff though - if youeat too much it gives you diarrhoea!

haha yeah that is true.....

Hi all,

Had my Ob appt yesterday and she said my readings aren't too bad overall, so no need for insulin.
    I'll keep monitoring and doing my best to keep them under 7! Still no talk of me going to a diabetes educator, so I guess she must think I'm doing something right. She's more than happy with me taking chinese herbs too (I kinda expected some opposition!).

I asked her about whether or not GD mums need several drips in during labour, and she said not usually. Generally (... apparently) it's if the mum had diabetes prior to being pregnant, or if the GD is pretty out of control. She said my BSL were likely to be monitored every now and again during labour. As for inducing ... according to my Ob that's less common nowadays too. In her opinion, she'd induce no earlier than 39 wks, but that's only if she felt there was a real need.
    As we've established, Obs seem to differ in their opinions, but I'm happy to go along with my Ob.

As for the natural therapies ... I'm trying to take the chinese herbs three times a day (a bit yuk but ok if I 'chug-a-lug' followed by a water chaser!) but I'm struggling with the herbal tea that I'm supposed to have four times a day. It is vile! I don't usually mind herbal teas (been having lots of peppermint or raspberry leaf) but this other stuff totally sucks the big one! Oh well, I guess if it helps! I don't mind the accupuncture either but I'm a little clueless at the moment as to whether it's proving beneficial. However ... I'm thinking positive and keeping an open mind!

I'd better go get some (low GI) dinner ready!

Cheers, Andie

Hello every one

I'm living in Ireland but will be moving to Maroochydore in June but i have had GD on all my pregnancy's and had insulin the last time they have me down as diabetic in the hospital and im on the diet already very hard when im feeling so sick food is the enemy at the moment
    but i have a few question I hope you can help me with

if you do need insulin is it covered by Medicare or if you are public it is here i got every thing for free.

what way do the doctor / hospital work at the moment I go to the diabetic clinic every 4 weeks i get fasting bloods taken then eat go back and have more bloods taken an hour later then see the two doctors baby and diabetic doc to check every thing else if my blood sugars dont behave they take you in and ten its on to insulin

hope you can help thanks niamh

I was just googling GD, as you do, and found an interesting GI Newsletter issued by the University of Sydney. It had some interesting articles and even mentioned some low GI potatoes. Its free to subscribe and its monthly by email.

If anyone is interested - ginews.blogspot.com

One of the girls said baby potatoes are the way to go :-)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast