Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #3

Quote Originally Posted by shell_120308 View Post
    My levels have been pretty good, even valentines day dinner I managed to stay around 6.0 which I was happy with considering it was a 5 course dinner, must have been completely low-gi..... I can't imagine the ice-cream at dessert being low-gi though haha

I have my last diabetes doctor appt this week Thursday Yipeeeeee and then my ob appt on Friday as well, so shall be interesting to see how my bub is growing and if I will need to be induced. I am hoping I can just go naturally.
    Keep us posted Shell!!!!

Caz

Smile

Ok, I've been on antibiotics for a week now for a throat infection and my BSL's have still been really good. I'm really surprised. But today I've been a little worried. I read on an earlier thread that if your BSL's seem too good it could be a sign the placenta isn't working right?

Today I"ve felt pretty ordinary and couldnt' be bothered making any good food so had normal breakfast of two weet bixs with a tiny bit of sugar, got 6.4.

Then lunch had a bowl of Special K - BSL 4.9. Had another bowl for snack.

Then dinner had 4(!) pieces of cheese and vegemite on toast and did a reading after an hour and a quarter and was only 5.8 then 2 hour was 5.4!

My BSL's have been really good for the last couple of weeks but I still throw a high if I've been naughty and I thought if you were sick they made them high too.

I called the hospital because I was a little concerned and they said that as long as babies movements are all ok I shouldn't worry and that I was reading too much on the internet !

I'm going to call the DE tomorrow just to be sure. I guess I'm just having a low vibe day

Has anyone else had these kind of anomolies? I can't wait for this to be over lol.

I have a sore throat as well, probably just a throat infection, but I didn't think I could take antiobiotics for it.... Hmmm well if mine doesn't clear up I will see the doctor. Plan on just getting alot of rest over the weekend. Still have 1 week of work left arghhhh

Saw my ob today and I won't need to be induced which is a good thing, but was kind of hoping I would be so I can just get the baby out of me kehehee oh well, just going to walk heaps etc.

Only 1 more injection!
    My last insulin shot, after 20 weeks of 3 shots a day and 4 finger pr!cks a day, and tonight is my last one!
    Not even taking my insulin to hospital with me tomorrow. Hopefully by dinner tomorrow night, no more GD and no more having to check the GI of everything which goes in my mouth. With a family history of Type 2 and this being my 2nd preg with GD, everyone is interested to see if it will go away. IT HAD BETTER!!!!!!
    Shouldn't be a problem. GTT before getting pregnant showed no signs of it, so should be no sign of it again when I am not preggie!
    GOod luck ladies with your BSLs. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!
    WOOHOO!

Kirsten I'm hearing you Can't wait to get rid of this insulin! I just want to be able to eat when I want to. Good luck with the c section, you know that's the easy bit especially with two others to look after

Congratulations Kirsten, that is great news and what a relief. I know I can't wait until this bub is born so I can stop monitoring my blood sugar levels. The GD should go away, well that is what the doctors tell me anyway.

Keep us updated, especially on bub's arrival

Yes Im also counting down the days for bub so I can also stop this BSL monitoring, so over it. Im getting ultrasound done this week to see if bub is too big/still small. My fundal height was 40cm at 37 weeks!

I've been getting those braxton hicks and its hitting me hard. Doc said that Im still carrying high so if my waters break I have to go to hospital immediately!!

I have a feeling I'm not too far away, just a feeling I get.

Caz

Hey Caz,

My ob has been measuring the bub at every appt and said at my last one he would be around 7-8 pounds which I am happy with..... I am also getting alot more braxton hicks contractions as well, so here's hoping an early breaking of waters The ob said to me even with my GD that I should be able to carry full-term but he said lets wait until my next appt where I will be 39 weeks, next Tues 4 March. So, hopefully bub is still growing at the right size. I do want him about asap because I am so over being pregnant, but don't particularly want to be induced because it means full on drugs and I would prefer to have a drug free labour if poss, but I don't handle pain very well, so I think that will go straight out the window haha

Keep me updated Caz, you and I share similar due dates.

Shell xxx

Shell - are you still carrying high? Has baby dropped? Do you get those groin stabbing pains too?

Mine is still up high. I'm pretty sure I had the same problem with my first son (carrying high)...

Man - I just did my fasting test just now - 5.8! I was naughty last night at supper, had a low fat icecream and banana split...

It would suck if I had to go on insulin for this last week or so... would it even be worth it?

All the best Shell...

Caz x

Hey Caz,

I am carrying much lower, but until I reach the lunchtime mark, that is when he creeps back up again. The head wasn't engaged last week at my ob apt, but the way I feel, I think he slips his head in and out from being engaged, such a cheeky little bugger. But I do carry very high.... So it is good to hear it is normal..... At night it is really low, I waddle all over teh house haha My hubby just laughs.

Actually the groin pains, I had some yesterday and was like 'what the?' ok so they are normal haha

Ahhhhh don't worry I had gelato the other night, it wasn't low fat, but my body really needed it. Mind you my levels were only 7.4 so was happy with that.... I don't think they would bother putting us on insulin for the last week, we are on the home stretch now. I suppose if our levels were really high then of course insulin would probably be needed. But I so need my treats, even if they are in small doses, I need to feel human

Shell xxxxx

Helloo everyone!

I have been blessed with GD and have been monitoring my BSL's for about 4 weeks now and just last week I was put on Insulin for before my dinner and before bed as those readings were highest (must be 5.5-6.5 after meals), so I don't get much to play with when it comes to eating.
    My question is, how long should it take for Insulin to change your BSL's? Shouldn't it be pretty much the first time you use it??? As it hasn't changed my levels at all. I still wake up and test and am always around the 6.2-6.5 after not eating for like 10 hours.

Do you think I should ring the hospital and ask if I should up my dosage?? Or should I wait another week till my next appointment?? Anyone had similar experience?

Cherii You dont say what insulin they have put you on. Different insulins have different times they are active for so it is hard to say without knowing this. Are you taking Actrapid, protophane, mixtard, etc????

Hi Melbel,

I am on Actrapid before my dinner. And then I take Protophane before bed time.

gkk33 Guest

Default Full Cream Milk

Hi Everyone,
    I am in week 33 and has had GD since I was 24 weeks pregnant. I've kept my bloodsugar on a quite good scale all the time. However last Saturday I went for a social gathering in the afternoon where I had a tiny cup of hot chocolate with full cream milk. Omg, I felt fainty half an hour later and irritated in the car on the way home. When I got home I tested my BS and it was 8.9, no wonders. Just wonder if it is true that full-cream milk will boost the bloodsugar? I had the same type of hot chocolate a couple of days earlier. Mind you, it was with no fat milk and earlier in the day when my BS is lower. Over the last couple of days I have found this really nice dark chocolate in the health section at Coles. This one has no added sugars and it didn't boost my sugars even though I had some late last nite. At last something to munch on when the cravings gets to much. We all need some tasty treats ! Enough of carrots and tomatoes, I am sick of it all too. All right, that was my cry of the day . Gina

Okay if you are taking that combo and your fasting sugars first thing in the morning are high then it will be the protophane that needs adjusting. The actrapid will have left your system by then as it is a short acting insulin. But Don't adjust it yourself, talk to your doctor. If you get a few days in a row with high morning sugars I would ring your diabetes doc or diabetes educator if you have one and ask their advice on how much to adjust it by. And also expect your dosages to change constantly at this time of the pregnancy as your insulin requirments will be increasing on an almost daily basis so definitely dont be shy in ringing the docs every few days if you get a pattern of high sugars...thats what they are there for!

GKK33.... full cream milk should do the opposite, the fat content in it should delay the glucose response BUT having said that a LOT of people have issues with milk and BSLs. It is more to do with the lactose content, lactose being a sugar just like glucose and sucrose etc. Some people for some reason are very senstitive to lactose sugars and it has a big impact on their blood suagr levels and for other people it makes very little difference. It is one of those individual variation things. For you it appears lactose is not such a good thing..maybe try a hot chocolate with half water half milk or somthing like that?
    Last edited by melbel; February 27th, 2008 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks again Melbel...I just called the Diabetes service at my Hospital now and they have upped it as of tonight and then I have to call again on Friday and the lady said that I might need to up it even more after that, so here's hoping this works and I don't have to up it.

I had the weirdest thing happen to me yesterday. I ate my bfast and after I dropped the kids at school I crawled back into bed coz I was tired. I woke up about 2.5 hours later covered in sweat. It's hot in WA so I thought oh well I'm hot but when I checked my BSL it was 2.7, I was having a hypo while I was sleeping. This has never happened to me before. If I have a hypo it is usually because I've been really busy and haven't eaten my snack soon enough. Anyone else had this happen?

Teachmum, I woke up with lows a couple of times if I went back to bed for a nap after breakfast. It is very yuck.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast