Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #3

Went for my ultrasound at 38 weeks this morning. Baby is well and about 7pounds 5 ounces. Abit concerned cos there was some swelling in there (perhaps a lymph node)! I just hope its nothing serious. I see the doc on monday, so I may have to have a c-section after all.

Caz

Oh Caz, I do hope it all goes well, just remember whatever advice you get from the doctor, it is in the best interests of the baby My next ob apt is on Tuesday so he will see how big little DJ is growing and hopefully not too big. He said at this apt he will determine if I need to be induced or if I can just continue through to my due date. I am hoping I won't need to be induced, but I am just going to follow his advice, since he knows what is best.

But that is a great size of your bub, fantastic. My ob said mine was measuring around the 7 pound to 8 pound mark. So, hopefully not too big. I am actually thinking he will be more around the lines of 8 pound 3 or 8 pound 6. Just a hunch.... Mind you I could be completely wrong.

Hey guys, well I am back and I am now living proof that GD if caught early and controlled can have a minimal impact on bubs!
    My son was born by elective c section (not because of GD) last Monday and weighed in at 3600g. Much smaller than my first 2 children! He was perfectly healthy and didn't need any oxygen or help breathing, which is one of the risks associated with GD. They monitored his BSL for 24 hours and they were all about 3.3, which the paediatrician said was perfect.
    I tested my fasting BSL the next morning, tuesday and it was 5.0! No insulin no nothing. When I had my GTT this was the reading that was really high and now it is normal, so the GD went away less than 24 hours after delivery! I am sooooo stoked!
    I have to have a GTT 6 weeks after bubs is born to make sure everything is OK, but just from testing on my own, I know that it is. Yaaaaaay.
    So for all of you ladies out there, there is an end. After 25 weeks of insulin injections and finger pr!cks everyday, it is all over! (Until we decide to have another one........)

Quote Originally Posted by kirsten74 View Post
    Hey guys, well I am back and I am now living proof that GD if caught early and controlled can have a minimal impact on bubs!
    My son was born by elective c section (not because of GD) last Monday and weighed in at 3600g. Much smaller than my first 2 children! He was perfectly healthy and didn't need any oxygen or help breathing, which is one of the risks associated with GD. They monitored his BSL for 24 hours and they were all about 3.3, which the paediatrician said was perfect.
    I tested my fasting BSL the next morning, tuesday and it was 5.0! No insulin no nothing. When I had my GTT this was the reading that was really high and now it is normal, so the GD went away less than 24 hours after delivery! I am sooooo stoked!
    I have to have a GTT 6 weeks after bubs is born to make sure everything is OK, but just from testing on my own, I know that it is. Yaaaaaay.
    So for all of you ladies out there, there is an end. After 25 weeks of insulin injections and finger pr!cks everyday, it is all over! (Until we decide to have another one........)
    Kirsten - let me be the first to congratulate you on yr little boy! Well done.!! So glad that yr GD is gone! Tomorrow Im going for my 38 week check up and hoping baby comes out this week... Baby was measuring 7 pounds something already. I may have to do a c-section too as they found something else in my abdomen (either a fibroid which I had or lymph node!).... So fingers crossed nothing serious!

Caz

Congratulations Kirsten, such great news

Caz - good luck with your appointment, I have my 39 week check-up with my obstetrician on Tuesday, and my last measurement was around 7-8 pounds, which I am happy with but still that last measurement was 2 weeks ago, so wondering how big he will be now...... Hopefully not much bigger. I did say I was scared about delivering a baby over 9 pound naturally, but then I don't want a c-section.....

Good news - Im getting a c-section this Thursday! Apparently I have a fibroid that's grown 9cms and baby can't go down naturally!

Im so excited and hopefully no more Blood testing!!!

Caz

CONGRATS KIRSTEN!

Wow Caz! I'm sorry to hear about the fibroid. Not long now until you see your little babyyyy!

Hey, so I've been going really well with my BSLs. Highest I've had in like 3weeks is a 6.0. The rest are 4's and 5's. It's diet controlled, and has been since I found out at 8wks.
    I was wondering about you ladies who had/have to have insulin. Did you have yours controlled with diet, and then things changed and you needed insulin?

Also, with ultrasounds.. did you need more regular scans to check the babys size then pregnancies that don't have GD?

I saw my diabetes educator for the last time today and she said I've done well.
    Just wondering if its worth to keep checking my levels as Thursday I'll be holding bub. I mean I know what to eat anyways....

Ye can u imagine a fibroid 9cms! Poor bub must be cramped...

Caz

Tennykins - I have been doing my BSL's for about 5 weeks now. The first week was high levels and then for another 2 weeks I was doing okay. But now I am unable to control my levels after dinner and when I wake up (after fasting for 8-10 hrs) through just diet alone. Tho I am hardly putting on weight - cept for belly area - my diet is just not able to keep them at bay, so I have been on insulin for about 2 weeksish and each week I have to keep getting my dose increased as it hasn't been working thus far. And just today the diabetic dietitian has added lunch time insulin now

My diet consists of soy and linseed bread and lots of salads. In fact, I have never eaten so well before!! And plan to continue when baby has been born. So for me the hormones are obviously changing so much so that one minute diet control works and the next I need insulin to control.

Wow Caz, sorry to hear about the fibroid, but at least bub will be out on Thursday. My instincts are telling me that my bub will be out on Thursday, but who knows

Tennykins - my obstetrician measures the growth of the baby at each apt with him which is every fortnight. At the last apt he said bub was measuring to be between 7-8 pounds which I am happy with, but somehow I think he will be just over 8 pounds so who knows......

Got my final ob apt tomorrow yipeeeeee 39 weeks and hopefully we will hear that bub has finally engaged his head and it could be anyday now kehehee

CAZ good luck on Thursday will they remove the friboid as well or will it go away itself good that it was nothing serious from what i remember if you are on insulin you check your levels before eating as normal for the first day and they should be grand its amazing how quick it goes diet controlled and you dont have to check at all just the GTT at 6 weeks so treat your self have something nice and enjoy your new baby hope you recover really quick as well

cherii its so hard to get used to but as the baby grows the diet stops working some times so then it has to be insulin controlled but at least then baby grows at a normal healthy weight

Ive been just waiting this thread the last few weeks my GD comes on very early in my pregnancy's and ive been keeping an eye on my blood sugars you dont do that as standard here in Ireland but i wanted to make sure all was ok they have been a little high but my MS has been pretty horrible im getting sick not every day but i feel sick every day i wonder if the GD could be making it last that long i cant wait for my next appointment check baby out and ask a few questions about my BS insulin is probably not far away

gkk33 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cherii View Post
    Tennykins - I have been doing my BSL's for about 5 weeks now. The first week was high levels and then for another 2 weeks I was doing okay. But now I am unable to control my levels after dinner and when I wake up (after fasting for 8-10 hrs) through just diet alone. Tho I am hardly putting on weight - cept for belly area - my diet is just not able to keep them at bay, so I have been on insulin for about 2 weeksish and each week I have to keep getting my dose increased as it hasn't been working thus far. And just today the diabetic dietitian has added lunch time insulin now

My diet consists of soy and linseed bread and lots of salads. In fact, I have never eaten so well before!! And plan to continue when baby has been born. So for me the hormones are obviously changing so much so that one minute diet control works and the next I need insulin to control.
    Hi Cherri, I have been doing my BSL as well for 8 weeks. I have had higher than usual readings for the last couple of days. Like you I have been eating very well, lots of vegies, burgen bread, no sugar sweets and eating regular meals all the time. It's fustrating when you are trying so hard to be good. On the positive side you do learn alot about food and what to eat / not to eat. I picked up a diabetes magazine and there were alot of great information about the type of food to eat, some nice cooking tips and even tips on what ice-cream to choose if you want to go for a low-sugar option. Yeah!!! Hang in there girlfriend. It will all be good once you have your baby in your arms.
    All the best
    Gina

They leave the fibroid in - it should shrink. I asked this too, doc said you would bleed too much if they took it out. I also may need a blood transfusion with this c-section.....

Caz

Oh Caz, I do hope it all goes well. Make sure you post on this forum so we know everything went well

Off to our obstetrician apt shortly Yipeeeee

Yep and let us know what yr OB says.... Do u think yr son will be out this week???

Caz

Just back from ob apt and bub's head still not engaged so even thinking about inducement will only fail and I would prefer nature to take its course. Bub is measuring to be between 6.6-7.5 pounds which is pretty good, but still only a rough estimate from doing a growth scan, can't tell until they are born hey?? So, next apt with ob is Tuesday next week (1 day before my due date) so hopefully he will come out before then. Ob said he will see where he is at next week and probably do an internal.....

My little daughter was born yesterday and I'll write a little birth story about it when I get home.

I was delighted and surprised to find out her weight was only 6lb 13oz and 49.5cm long. I was expecting much bigger due to GD and have had to have hubby bring in a couple of Miss 3's old 00000 outfits!

Also beside a low sugar BSL not long after birth, all her other BSL's have been excellent and she's taken to BF which is great. Also no other GD complications. I didn't realise they would be checking mine also and so had a bit of an M&M overload yesterday afternoon lol. When midwife came to take my BSL he said lets see how I handled the M&M challenge. LOL. 4.7!!!!! I'm back baby.

But I have learnt alot about healthy eating through having the GD which I will be continuing because I don't want to develop type 2 so I'll enjoy the choccy for a couple of days then rein it in again.

I hope this is encouraging for you other GD Mums that good control doesn't mean higher risk. Good Luck everyone.

Congrats Jess and what great news about bub, and yourself after your M&M challenge.... I will bare that in mind when my visitors bring me choccies kehehe Let us know what you name her and when you have photos up.

I am expecting my little boy to be big but the ob said he is measuring to be around 3.2-3.8kg which is pretty average, so I wonder what he will be at birth....

Take care
    Shell xx

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast