Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do you spend on each of your children for christmas?

mooshie Guest

yup totally agree the older they are the more expensive it is. ds is 6yrs old and everything he would love is around the $100 mark, and i hate just buying cheap stuff to fill the stocking cause by new years it is usually broken lol.

we usually get something around the $100 mark for each child, then santa will bring something around $100 - $150 sometimes between them, this year is a games table thing but dd won't be able to play with it to little, but she can get in the way lol. then i usually spend probably around $250 on ds for other santa pressies and atm around $100 for dd, being smaller the stuff for her seems to be cheaper. then they both get a nice outfit to wear xmas day plus new pj's and jocks and socks etc

Thanks guys i do buy things through the year and layby when sales are on plus i often buy things for my sisters (they pay me back) to give to her

katiam Guest

Whilst we don't have alittle one yet (S/he is due in December of course) we have put a budget in plan so that we spend $200 on presents for our kids. $100 of that is from us and other $100 is from "santa". Things will be laybyed throughout the year - when the specials are on - which is what we currently do for all christmas/birthday presents.

This year Em & Jack are getting a Nintendo Wii (about $500) between them and a couple of games and then they will get a few smaller presents each, probably a necklace each (surfy type ones) and some new clothes. They get plenty from everyone else so we don't spend heaps.

Don't know about Asha ... the kids certainly doesn't need any new toys and she is still in a size one so unless she grows heaps all her summer clothes from last year will still fit her!!! Maybe some new sandpit toys and the sand for her sandpit!!! Not sure what else yet.

Oh and the kids will all get their bathers and boardies for the year (every Xmas they get new ones!)

Cheers

~Nicole~ Guest

As a couple of people have said, it gets so much harder to keep the cost down when kids get older, unfortunately. So far I have gotten most of the kids presents for Christmas, and I have found I have spent an uneven amount on each, not intentionally, its just the way things have worked out. So far I have spent about $80 on Eleanor, $150 on Reilly and about $400 on Isaac, which is a pretty big difference. It would be impossible to make the cost even, so I just worry about a similar amount of presents instead, and I know it will all even up as they get older.

We have a limit of $100 per child. Or 1 large joint present between them and them smaller stuff for santa sacks.

The boys inc Ashton will be getting a proper cubby house for xmas this year. Okay so Ashton wont be playing in it for quite a while lmao. That is their joint present. Kameron will then get school related stuff as he will be off to school, Lachlan we are not sure off as yet, and we are also not sure on Ashton yet either for their smaller things. But cause of the Cubby House we would probably only spend $50-$70 on the smaller stuff.

Birthdays we also spend up to $100 per child but will go over that if it is something they really need/want. We already have Kameron's b/day present in case I go into labour early and that was $80

Love

Not sure how much i have spent on lay-bys for christmas i think it's about $800 and that is without what i have put away already.

I only go OTT because we have no close family living here in Australia and i know MIL will send money so it saves me looking just before Christmas if i have got it already.

I usually buy 1 big present (about $100) and a couple of little things (about $50) each child. This year i banned indoor toys, as the kids have way too many, so i spend $379 on a bouncy castle for the boys, together. Its big enough!! But DH wanted a train set for them both (they both adore trains...) so he bought the $299 Thomas set from the target sale. And anneliese will only be 6m old at xmas, so i'll get her a couple of lil things, she'll enjoy unwrappin them more than the toysFor Xanders first xmas (good tip to those with lil ones at xmas time) buy big things that can be split up (i bought a sandpit set, about 10 pieces in total, and wrapped them all separately) cost me about $15, and he loved it.

That's a great idea about buying things that can be split Simone! Especially when sometimes its more about the excitement of unwrapping then the actual presents!!!

its good when they are little as its actually true that they enjoy the wrapping or the boxes more than the actual pressies!!! Or just buy them their next seasons clothes and put them under the tree... more unwrapping

this year I have put about $800 on christmas layby, but thats for 13 kids including mine, as we have a big family so I spent about $20 on each extended family child ( 11 ) and then the rest on our kids we got them one pressie each and tehn a big one to share and i will get them a few small things too like clothes etc.... I got Peiter a Roboraptor, and some books and a dinner set, and I got Grace an electric ride on dora trike and some barbie dvd's and book and a dinner set, and we usually buy them a nice outfit to wear christmas day and I wrap that so they can have another pressie to open,

We always put a small pressie at the end of their bed that they open as soon as they wake up, then they get one really good pressie that they really wanted and then a big joint pressie This year its one of those enclosed round trampolines,
    I know I probably go OTT but I dont get to buy them alot during the year and the christmas layby;s allow me to be able to spoil them a little, like a few others said I really consider christmas the biggest day of the year, it was always so special as a child and I want my kids to have that too
    Last edited by *Elle*; July 31st, 2006 at 05:28 PM.

I love nothing more than buying gifts for people but I tend not to go overboard at Christmas, particularly with kids. If there is something special the kids would like or need, I tend to wait till their birthdays to give it to them.

I'm taking the same approach with my own son. The things I've just bought him for Christmas at the toy sales weren't expensive or elaborate. There's not much point in going berserk with a young baby anyway.

lindie Guest

This is prolly shocking but we spend about $800 per child at christmas with the eldest being 11 years thats only a few toys and a few PSP games and his birthday is december 11 so he seems to have a bit of a madigras birthday/christmas thing and DD is 8 so its barbie stuff and a little more gameboy gear OH and this year that includes a joint pressie of a TRAMPOLINE and those babies dont come cheap, My mother works a target so we do target toy sale earlier with staff not the general public so we tend to go overboard and our BABY JETT will be 9 months so we got him tonnes of fisher price gear and it totalled about $300 but he will be getting more once it gets closer to xmas and we see what he really plays with.

We spend around $50 per adult and we have 8 of them to buy for and.....I AM GOING TO BE AN AUNTY BY CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR, so first chrissie for 2 babies this year which will be SUPER!!!!! so I will prolly spend about $100 ON MIA MY NIECE!!!!!!

we have had this tradition for ever so we plan christmas all year and we love it DH is practically an orphan so he really gets into it all, we love it and people think we are mad but what ever you enjoy is most important.

And everyone is different so what ever gets you through the silly season is alright with me!!!

Lindie

Our issue is not so much with money, its with the amount of stuff Abby will be getting.

My sister has three children, and they get so much at xmas. They have every toy possible and its so hard to figure out what to get them. With one OTT nan and pop, and 3 aunties they she is bound to get heaps of stuff, not to mention her family on DF's side! I know they are going to go totally nuts as she is the only child!!

My worry is that I dont want Abby to have that many toys! Im not being mean, I just hate the toys all over the place and when kids have no idea what toys they have and they have no interest in them anyway. I have to have a think about what she needs and when ppl start asking about what to get her, i think ill be going with clothes, something for her room, a toy box... that sort of thing.

The system we have here, is that i rotate Abbys toys- so i bring out a few things for her to play with and she sticks with them for a week or two, then i put them away and bring something else out...IYKWIM and we plan on sticking to this as she gets older.

Anyway, as for what we will be spending- we have spent about $40 at the target sale on one toy from "us", and there is one more toy that we plan to get her, it costs $100 from "santa". Other than that, I will be doing a stocking, but it will be filled with little things like socks, hats, swimmers, sunnies etc and its mainly for her to have fun pulling things out etc. We wont be going over $200, and to be honest i even see that as a little too much at this age, but its her first xmas so i spose im ok with it.

As for everyone else-
    Adults/couples- about $30
    Parents- about $100
    Children- 20-30<---- im going to be getting them clothes this year!!
    Df and I spend about $300 on each other but that was before we had Abs, so it might change.

Our Christmas budget really varies depending sometimes on the size of my DH's annual bonus etc. We generally are pretty frugal and last year our entire Christmas expenditure was $2000... that was gifts for everyone. Our DD usually receives one "big" gift like a bike or mp3 player and 2 smaller ones ($20 each)... we'll probably only spend about $40 each on the boys this year.

I have never understood why people spend so much on presents from santa... if I pay for something good I am taking the credit.
    I have spent quite a bit this year as we decided to get a trampoline, but the boys will get hardly anything else. I would say normally about $100 each. Santa presents are always cheap... a couple of books and some toys from the $2 shop.

We do not have 'set' amount just get them the same amount of presents to open, but it is usually between $100-$200

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast