Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do you spend on each of your children for christmas?

Default How much do you spend on each of your children for christmas?

Hi i spend on average $400.00 on little missy i got told i was going over board so i was wondering how much other people spend on there kids?

We don't have a set budget every year, but we do try to keep it reasonable. If there is something in particular we want for the kids, we'll get it IYKWIM? But my Mum usually goes berserk and buys more than enough for them it doesn't matter how much we get for them LOL!

littlerigger Guest

We haven't done the xmas thing yet in this house but to me $400 sounds like way to much. When #2 arrives are you prepared to spend $800 each xmas?

This will be our first proper Christmas with presents for Madeline as she was born on Christmas Eve last year. We bought her birthday & Christmas presents in the K-Mart toy sale and fortunately only spent about $100 in total. She will be getting 2 presents for each event (and I know she will be soooo spoilt by everyone else too). For a 1 year old, I just can't justify spending excessive amounts; but I can understand at school age spending up to $200-$250 per child.

I think your own choice of money you're spending on your child/ren has alot to do with your upbringing and financial position. I came from a family of 5 children so there was no way my parents on one wage could afford $400/child. Perhaps that's why I find that much too excessive; but for someone else it might not be.

We dont really have a set amount but it would definately be around the $400 mark...wouldnt be less. It gets more expensive as they get older so they definately have more for their money when they are little.

Jo

I think I've gone a little OTT as well. I have already spent over $250 though I will probably give Em stuff before Christmas as he has 3 toys and thats it atm. And I will prob spend a bit more as well - I just can't help myself LOL!! I love Christmas and it will be his first so I'm giving myself free reign LOL.

As horrible as it sounds if we ever had more kids we probably wouldn't spend as much mainly because we'd have heaps of stuff from Emerson. As it stands we barely have anything. I can't imagine what family etc sre going to buy! Its going to be a little insane come Christmas I think!

We usually spend about $50 on each of them.

We have a birthday budget of $50 and a Christmas budget of $60 atm. We know as they get older it will increase but we decided early on that we would make the days heaps more important than the gifts, so some birthdays will be zoo trips, or parties or something like that and Christmas will be an important family day. I can't remember any presents I got as a child, but I remember the days much more.

Fruitwood Guest

hubby and I debate this issue on a regular basis, lol I come from a family where Christmas is a very big deal and everyone is spoilt for this one day. Hubby is from a family where money wasn't tight but his family just didn't believe in making christmas a big deal. Hubby is used to receiving 2 presents on christmas morning and can't understand why I love nothing more than to watch everyones faces light up on christmas morning when they see all the presents under the tree. At the moment I spend around$200 on the kids and $50 on the adults. I like to buy pressies through out the year at the new year and stocktake sales. Most stores let you layby and pay things off. I like to have all my shopping done by October, that way I have to time to make changes if someone asks for something specific, lol. I know alot of people think I go over the top when it comes to Christmas and I get alot of nasty comments from friends when they find out what my kids have received for christmas, but it's a day that means alot to me and if you enjoy spending money on your child then it's up to you how much you want to spend and what you can afford as a family. Every parent knows what feels right for their child and their family so please don't let anyone make you feel bad for spoiling your child at christmas. People have said that I am raising spoilt brats but I believe that if my children are polite and well manered then I am creating memories.

Our Christmas and birthdays budget is around the $100 mark, preferably less.
    When laybying at the Kmart toysale recently I was in disbelief at how high with toys some people had their trolleys piled with - Where do they put them all??? LOL That is actually one of the reasons I wont get Aidyn more stuff, and he already has so much due to grandparents/relatives etc, and I dont even have room for what he does have!
    We will probably blow out his Christmas budget this year, only because we are getting him a big boy bed and quilt cover set & the works, and he will get a couple of toys on top of that. But that is just a once off.
    No doubt as he gets older Christmas will become more expensive for us...
    I like your idea of having special outings instead Christy... we are planning to do that for Aidyn too from next year...

ETA: just wanted to add that I dont disagree with spending heaps on money on presents for Christmas. I love buying presents for people, and if we had more money I would be spending more on everyone, but have to keep it within reason atm! For family that is not DP or Aidyn, I will spend $20-$30 on each person (this is a set rule that me and my 4 sisters have with each other anyway!) and DP will spend up to $100 on his mother and brother.

Mark and I have this conversation too. From what it sounds like to me him and his brothers never got a lot for Christmas and birthdays so I guess thats why he isn't really fused with it. My borthers and I never got heaps either but my Mum always made it look like there was alot there.

I know that I spend way too much on my kids for both Christmas and birthdays and now of course it it expected. I won't even go into how much I have put on laybuy for this year already. Suffice to say that it will probably end up being in excess of $500 each kid. ( I have an xbox 360 on laybuy for the big boys and that alone is $780 so.......)

Fruitwood I am with you. Christmas Day means alot to me. As I grew up we had varying amounts spent on us - generally around $50 - $100 - the amount never mattered though it was the spirit of giving and sharing that did! I will always spend what I can afford - no more, no less. I'm so excited about Christmas this year. I know that next he will be at a better age but this year is his first!!!! So excited - I can't wait to get the christmas tree up hehe!!

Because my children are older, we spend alot more money on them. Last year, it was approx $700 per child. But, I do buy things through the year and we layby the more expensive things a few months before and pay them off just before xmas.

I meant to add, but of course didn't.... that it does really depend on what your family has decided to do. IF you are happy with the amount you are spending & are able to, go for it.

I'd like to add that this year is proving to be really hard because our kids have way too much stuff that has been given to them over the years and we just don't know what to get them that A wont clutter up their rooms more then they are and B is something that is practical that they can really use.

Sherie, I am with you... I was thinking about Christmas presents last night & I have no idea what the girls want or need!
    I will grab Maddy some DS games to go with her nintendo.

As its' only my family here's what happens... We each buy 1 other (adult) person in the family' a present by pulling a name out of a hat & you spend $75 on that person...

Then I buy for my nieces & nephew...

I get DH something & I buy him lot's coz I love lot's of pressies under the tree!

I also buy gifts for the kid/s throughout the year at Sales etc...

But this year I am totally 100% stumped!

I might book a weekend away somewhere for all of us??? Coz I ahve no idea Indah has so much already & it hasnt even been her b'day yet where I already know she is getting way too much! AAARRRGGGHHHH Tooo much to worry about!

I usually spend about $200 but realise when I am wrapping them that that was only when I counted in the beginning of the year the rest I grabbed has way out done that but as it's bits & pieces here & there who knows I dont count anymore!!!!

Well i'm a bit scared to say how much we've put on layby this year lol. But because Lily's birthday is 2 weeks before christmas, we buy something for each, because when she a bit older, 2 weeks will seem like forever to her, so decided not to just buy one big one for both, iykwim. But we have put on layby about $700 all up. That is including though, Lily's birthday, christmas for both Lily and bub and also for Jacob and myself. So for Lily it probably works out at being about $150 each for christmas and birthday. Last year we only spent about $250 all up(xmas and bday) and the year before that was only about $70 for xmas as she was only 2 weeks old. I think though this has a lot to do with our upbringing as both Jacob and I are an only child, we were spoilt rotten!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

My kids have become super expensive since becoming old enough to know how much things cost! Lol! I reckon their Chrissy presents set us back about $200-300 each every year. Last year, Shay and Zaki both got Ipod Nanos and Ariani got a gold chain and pendant.

I have already put about $400 worth of toys on layby for Charlie, and I havent even started Chrissy shopping yet! ROFL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast