Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Camping Thread

Talking The Camping Thread

Hi!

I'm hoping to start a camping thread of some sort with tips and ideas of camping with little ones (and bigger ones!). Camping/caravan ground recommendations too. It's one thing to read a review from a mag or paper, but sometimes it's quite another to hear feedback from someone with a family actually experiencing it.

DH and I have been camping a couple of times, just the two of us, and we're about to embark on our first camping trip with DD, who will be 20 months when we go. I'm eager to hear your stories of great spots, clean facilities and friendly locals, so we can keep doing this, Australia wide.

The "Must Have" list

Camping equipment - Tent, Rubber interlock mats for tent floor, Air Mattresses & Pump, Camp Stretchers, Sleeping Bags, Blankets, Pillows, Esky, Fold-up chairs, Table, Rechargable Lantern, Extension Leads, Double Adaptors, Tarps, Dustpan and Broom, Storage Tub to convert to Bath, Duct Tape, Torch, Umbrella, Hammer/Hatchet, Batteries, UHF Radio/Walkie Talkies, Puncture Repair Kit, Firestarters, Fire Extinguisher.

Car Equipment - GPS, Jumper Leads, Jerry Can, Reserve Water/Coolant, Fan Belts, Roof Racks, Bike Rack, Headlight Globes

Food & Cooking Items - Gas Stove & Bottles, Camp Kitchen (with Sink), Pot, Frypan, Crockery, Cutlery, Cups, Tongs, Freezer Bags, Garbage Bags, Tea Towels, Dishwashing Liquid, Tin Foil, Glad Wrap, Matches, Hot Rocks, Sauce, Napkins, Hot chocolate, Marshmellows, Skewers, Vacuum Sealer, Oil, Ice, BBQ Tray, Scotch towels, Water container, Jex, Sponges, Tupperware food containers, Ant rid, Tea, Coffee, Sugar, Can Opener, Noodles, Canned Soup, Casseroles, Spag Bol

Misc Items - Board Games, Cards, Uno, Towels, Mozzie coils, Thongs/crocs, Phone charger, Books, Puzzle books, Fishing Rod & Tackle, Toilet Paper, Tissues

First Aid - Bandaids, Bandages, Detol cream, Cotton wool balls, Cotton Buds, Sunscreen, Aeroguard, Aftershave (for mozzie stings), Tissues, Toilet paper, Ice pack, Heat pack, Eye wash, Gauze, Cough lollies, Cold & Flu tablets, Vicks, Panadol, Bottle of water, Nail clippers, Tweezers, Sewing kit

Dogs - Leads, Collars, Balls, Dog food, Treats, Water bowls, Towels, Food bowls, Plastic Pooper Scoop Bags, Immunisation Paperwork
    Last edited by Miss.September; September 27th, 2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added Must Have List

Just subscribing...

And... just today i was out shopping to get bits and pieces for our camping trailer, stuff that we can have packed like tea, coffee, sugar, bowls, plates all you can imagine so there's not so much involved when packing to go away. I still like to have most of what i'd use at home

We too go camping often/ish and we have a 3 1/2yr old (first went camping when he was 1) and an 18 month old (went for the first time at 10 months). At the 10 months of age it was great to get away but a bit tricky for sleeps as it was in the summer, he spent a lot of time in the pram or port-a-cot but it was great to be out in the open with them.

So far we pretty much go to one particular caravan park near Alexandra which we really like, DH can fish, there is a park for the kids and a pool. We have only just purchased our camping trailer last month so now that we have that we plan to explore a few more places. We like Alexandra as it's not too far to go even just for a weekend trip.

I too look forward to getting some tips, ideas of new places to explore to and giving some tips if i have any aswell.

Happy Camping to you and your family, it's a lot of fun getting our kids out there and seeing the country side

Great thread

I was talking to a friend about this yesterday, I'd love to go camping this summer, last time we went was about 2 1/2 years ago at Kingscliffe. Not sure if our tent is still any good & I really don't want to be bothered putting it up to check it... well we can't put it up in our courtyard anyway

We used to go camping with Dad heaps when we were kids, I find a lot of people I know now won't go unless there is running water & a porcelain toilet. Part of me in the back of my heaad still thinks it ain't camping unless you have to take a shovel to go to the toilet Although I don't know how I'd go with my kids on that score.

Great idea for a thread! We used to camp alot but haven't been since having Moo - well we have stayed in units if that counts lol.
    Wish we had a camper trailer though!

Alexandra is lovely. The Taggerty Caravan park is good too, it has the river right through it, pool, bbq facilities. I'm moreof a cabin camper though

Has anyone done a HUGE trip of Oz? I'm broadly planning one for 6-12 months, in about 2 years circumstances permitting.
    I really like the converted buses (Partridge Family style!) but not sure how practical it would be.

Lulu we're hoping to do this in a few years time, when DH has long service leave. Can't wait!

What will you go in? Caravan, car/camper trailer?

For some reason I don't like the idea of towing a caravan, and camper trailers seem too much trouble for me (I have friends with AWESOME set ups though).

Maybe I just got sucked in by the motorhomes I looked at a few years ago.....They be COOL.

I did but I was only about 18 months old, lol. I always thought that was very unfair of mum & dad.

I have friends who converted an old army bus (one of the huuuuge ones) and went in that, as far as I know all went well & they still have it, use it for guests

lol a motorhome would be ace! DH is really into camper trailers, though we don't have one yet I'm sure we will by then! They can be quite fiddly to pack up but I think hard floors are meant to be a lot easier. Better than our ol' faithful canvas tent!

this is a great idea
    we are big campers.
    looking into geting a camper trailer soon.

we did a 5000km camping trip, set up camp pull down drive 800km repeat next day.
    was great

Scuuuuse me Kawazuki, you can't just leave it at that!

Where did you go, how long did you stay at each place, how long did 5000k take?

We went pretty close to 5000kms a few years back. Went from Geelong all the way to Ayers Rock and Alice Springs. Drove along the old Ghan railway track that is no longer there but there were heaps of ruins!

DH did around Australia when he was about 5. His parents are serious caravaners (always have been) and took a 4x4 and caravan. They actually wrote one off at the very very very tip of Australia (on the Cape) once but I don't think it was on this trip.

I'd love to go camping with DD - I went a lot as a kid and want her to experience this wonderful kind of experience as well!

Lulu Alexandra is lovely i really enjoy going there. We camp on the Acheron River i think.

I'm much more of a cabin girl also but i'm adjusting The camping trailer will allow us to go away more often, a little more prepared and without so much expense.

Hadn't even considered the long trips you are all talking about (they sound great) but i'm not sure i'd do it in a camping trailer either. A Winnebago maybe???

Ohhh, Alexandra is gorgeous. Might not be after the floods though? (dunno, I'm miles away?)

Lulu I did a 12000km trip with a mate when I was 20. We did it in a Patrol, no trailer, just tent up every night in whatever spot we were staying. We navigated by playing scissors paper rock with loose goals of making it to Perth for New Years and Melbourne for Australia Day. Probably not the same as what you're looking at doing though

Boydtown Caravan Park just south of Eden is one of my favourite spots. It's right behind the beach, and very open and lovely. Not squared off site boxes, a little more haphazard than that.
    Johanna Beach on the Great Ocean Road is another beautiful spot. We were the only people there on our first night (late Jan, but still in school hols) and we had a seal swim up to us on the beach. Beautiful walks to be done in each direction too.

Would love some tips on where to go within reach of Brissie. We've just bought a car so that we can start camping again, but being southern in origin, we're clueless

Within reach of Brissie...... I'm planning one to Stradbroke Island for a long weekend in a few weeks! It's the same postcode, but hey! A camping trip on an island? I'm looking forward to it! We only have a 4man tent...and when I say 4 man, I mean that's probably all you'd fit. At the moment we fit our air bed and ds' camper stretcher with enough room for another stretcher at the bottom of air bed and stretcher... I can't imagine how we'll go when baby joins the fun! Where are we going to sleep baby?!

Friends of ours sold everything they had bought a motorhome with a trailer that had a 'toy' 4wd (suzuki sierra) and a tinny for a good price (I think they're trying to sell it coz now it's too big for the two of them - they originally had the her 15yo daughter with them too) and are on their way around Australia. They're currently in Bundaberg.

batemans bay big 4 beach resort right on the beach beautiful facilites, wonderful staff, the most awesome camp kitchen and its so close you can base yourself there and do dozens of day trips to different things

wehn we did our holiday earlier this year I told jase I would retire and live in a van park if I could live here LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Scuuuuse me Kawazuki, you can't just leave it at that!

Where did you go, how long did you stay at each place, how long did 5000k take?
    ok now i dont have a screamin child i will elaborate

our aim was to get to Mackay for a Job interview.

so we left our house 3 days late due to Miss M being in hospital with tonsillitis.
    the trip was meant to be about 6000km but due to leaving late we had to re write the plans.

so first stop was orange, we didnt camp this night as we had driven 800km after leaving hospital at 11am so didn't get in till really late.

next stop was lightning ridge, set up camp went opal mining for an hour or so then cooked, and bed..

from lightning ridge, we went to roma, which wasn't as nice but still decent.

then on to emerald. stayed 2 nights there from memory, it was beautiful, lovely caravan park.

then we did some dirt roads and through farms and ended up at the back of some massive mine, wow those machines are HUGE..

then got into mackay, we stayed at a lovely beach on the north side in the smallest caravan park ever.. lol we opened out tent door and walked maybe 20 paces and we were on the beach, then it was a 2km walk to water( low tide) lol

we stayed here 2 nights, as our original plan was to go further north to bowen for a night, but we were a bit exhausted and just fell in love with this beach.
    when i dont have baby brain or sleep deprivation i will get the names, they were awesome.

then we moved to a cabin on the south side as al had his interview so we wouldn't be able to pack tent and get him to interview by 8am.
    then that afternoon we headed back down the coast to come home.
    we stopped as a discovery caravan park on the highway south of rockhampton at lake maraboon
    ohh this was nice had a huge jumping pillow and excellent facilities
    we basically chose a spot and set up camp..

then we headed south again and got to Big4 at forest glen.
    we camped again, set up at 5pm and made dinner watched a movie had a swim, played put out then
    we headed south again to port mac, where we stayed for a couple of days for my pops 90th

so all up it was 4699km and 10 days.
    from southern highlands in nsw to north qld and back..

we will be doing the one way trip soon as we loved mackay so much we are moving there...

we only had the 4wd and roof racks.
    we took a 12 man tent, 2 camp beds, a blow up queen bed, a ports cot,
    3 gas bottles, 2 portable stoves, a cooking attachment for the gas bottles, out 90l fridge freezer, enough food for 2 weeks, clothes for 2 weeks, 3 kids, 2 adults and the computer.
    table and chairs, everything but the kitchen sink..

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast