Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Camping Thread

Ours is the RoughIt brand it's an 8 person dome tent with a sunshade on the front, we left the back room open but had 2 queen (i think) airbeds in there and there was plenty of room for a suitcase and extra's in the middle.
    The sunshade had enough room to fit a table for storage, if you google it you will see a pic.
    TBH even despite the higb price tag most aren't made to last as long as the old canvas ones did, it's all a matter of taking care not to pull things too tightly and to make sure you never pack it when wet etc.
    If you take good care of it it should last, ours seems ok but we haven't had it long.
    We quite like it for the kids as with the sunroom if it's raining you could put a tarp down and they still have room thats slightly under cover.

For us, when we got the camper, we went to a caravan park at peak time and there are a stack of fellow campers there to lend a hand! Otherwise, do you have friends that camp that you can go together? When we got our tent, I'd never camped before and DH only had used a little two man. It came with instructions and the first time we set up was in the loungeroom

Places like Ray's Outdoors have a huge amount of tents set up. Maybe start there, see what you like and then look for comparative pricing.

This might sound like a daft question, but i want advice on shoes. Have i come to the right place??

We seem to be camping more now and in the rain and mud too. I wear gumboots. They are easy to slip on and off when i go into the tent, and are great for puddles and mud. BUT...they aren't great for comfort and warmth and they don't have any grip either for little streams and walking over rocks.

When i was camping years ago, i had a great pair of tramping boots, but i didn't really seem to go in and out of the tent so much - it was really just for sleeping. Now with the huge tent and the kids, i seem to be forever taking my boots off, so lots of laces would be annoying.

Advice on footwear please!! What do you wear? What have you seen that you think would work for me?
    Thanks in advance.

How about some explorer socks with Blundstone type boots hun?? Easy to get on and off and would be a bit warmer?? and yep I am replying fast today - having snuggles on the couch with my girl in this horrid melb weather haha!

Not too butch? Sorry, no offense intended. I'm not a native australian, and i just assumed that Blundstones were just a bloke thing?

Might go have a look...

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Not too butch? Sorry, no offense intended. I'm not a native australian, and i just assumed that Blundstones were just a bloke thing?

Might go have a look...
    I loved my blundstones growing up, super comfy

Sent from my iPhone, more than likely while I should be doing something else!

Well they aren't exactly glam I know but I used to wear them a bit when I was younger with jeans but only on my parents farm!! Those boots that you wear at the snow would be good too - they have sheekpskin stuff on the inside - not sure what they are called or how much they are but they have laces. Or maybe some of those Croc boots? Clearly I have no idea haha!

Yep, vouching for the blundstones too. Best boots. My first pair lasted me around 15 odd years, and that was even wearing them to school, out in the paddocks and off with the horses.

I hope i didn't offend. If you knew me, you'd know I grew up on a farm and am about as glamorous and fashionable as, well, umm, lets say i'm not very glamorous ok!!

I LOVE the idea of sheepskin inside...yummy and warm, but i think that's be a big drama to clean. I'm going to have a look at blundstones when i finally kick myself off BB.
    Thanks for your help ladies!

Lenny, just an afterthought too - my local Ray's have a large range of boots. If you don't like the blundstones, maybe go there for some advice. I love the idea of the sheepskin too!

If you go for blundstones, you'll need to waterproof them, not sure how other boots compare like that.

We're all quick today - are we all in Melb?! This weather is super sensational

Waterproof is a must.

Weather gorgeous here in Langwarrin...trees being torn out of the ground, wind blowing fences over, rain, and the wind chill is about minus 100.

And we're talking about camping...dreamers, we are.

I know Lenny - we are in Heathmont, so freaking windy and cold but the sun keeps peeking through the sleet as if to say - Ha Ha fooled you for the last week with my 17 degree deliciousness.... Bloody Melbourne...We are going to freeze next week aren't we?!

Lenny!

Tan - You're going to freeze your butt off, but it'll be worth it

Unfortunately we don't really know ANYONE here, there's a guy DH works with that I think goes camping he's always bringing us fish in so I might get DH to ask him as to where.

It's all so daunting! Just hope that once I buy everything I have the guts to go throw with it

You will be fine hun, and you will love it! It really is awesome fun, yes it can be tricky if it rains or if you find you need something you don't have, but lots of camping sites like Anaconda/BCF etc have camping lists - plus the ones on here will help you be prepared as you can be - but the best bit is just taking off, going somewhere you haven't been before and relaxing and exploring and just having a great time!!!

Me again! Finally decided that we are going to go to Philip Island and going to stay at the Big 4! The other one looks ace Trish but with the weather being so iffy we want somewhere that has a few more facilities! A bit exciting!! Friends of ours might be coming to stay with us too in a tent!!

Tan - make sure you have something for the feet. We stayed at that park over Queens Birthday, loved the park, but the ground was soft and we sank

JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanstar View Post
    Me again! Finally decided that we are going to go to Philip Island and going to stay at the Big 4! The other one looks ace Trish but with the weather being so iffy we want somewhere that has a few more facilities! A bit exciting!! Friends of ours might be coming to stay with us too in a tent!!
    Yay!! Have fun Tan!!! The Big4 one is right on the beach which will be awesome and you have to try the fish and chips in San Remo . When we were there in January we went to the San Remo pier and saw pelicans and stingrays in the shallow water, the kids loved it! The Big 4 is about a 20+ minute drive into Cowes, but it's a lovely drive. Look forward to hearing all about it

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast