Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Camping Thread

I got an email this morning from Big4 saying that between July 1 and August 31, kids stay free!

Tan - Just before you go to Phillip Island, check the website again for any specials. We were charged normal rates in our quote (less Big4 membership discount), but a few days before I saw they had a special on for the weekend we were going. I queried it and we got the discounted rate. Saved us another $50.

Oh thanks PRM that is awesome!! We are paying $31 per night so will have to check it out!!

I am trying to find something for Christmas- wishful thinking I know but I am getting depressed! Anywhere on the beach is booked waaahhhhhhhhh. Was looking at Pambula - I know, I am dreaming. I haven't been to the Murray for years so that is another option but being summer I thought that beach would be good. We have a tentative booking at the Eastern Beach Park at Inverloch so I guess we won't be stuck at home at least if everything else falls through !

Ahh that sucks, Tan. Could you put your name down on a waiting list at Pambula? In case someone cancels? Or could you go just prior to Christmas? We don't go anywhere at that time of year, we try to get away in March for our beach time. Loving the pics of the camper by the way

It's so hard to get in anywhere over Christmas! I managed to book us in for Boxing Day to New Years day about a month or so before Christmas last year down at the Island. I just kept ringing around in case there were any cancellations and I had about 3 of them offer us a place . The one we love in Cowes is booked out for this coming Christmas holidays, but they told us to call in October when people who have pre-booked have to pay in full. They said a lot of people cancel then so it's worth ringing then. Maybe ask your preferred places if there is a waiting list or if they can recommend a good time to ring back and try again?

We'll be at Inverloch just after Christmas day! DH's aunty lives there and has offered to let us stay there while she goes overseas. We love staying there and Inverloch is so beautiful and very kid-friendly

Oh thats a good idea guys -will keep searching! PRM - DH is a builder and subbie so we don't really have much choice, they shut down for 3 weeks over Christmas and although he could take time off whenever he wants we don't get paid!! The Eagle is one fine beast I keep opening the door and peaking out to perve at it!!!

Trish - we may end up there - DH's parents are in Leongatha so it means they can pop down as well and see us and the kids - we are going there for Cup Day long weekend as well so I feel like we should go somewhere else!!

whats about lakes entrance tanstar? have u tried here?

Tanstar - How was your weekend?! DH is self employed so I get what you mean about no work, no pay. We've been out on our own for 12 months and are trying to find the pattern for our quiet time to be able to fit in a decent holiday at the same time each year.

Well we have two new feet on the camper, two to go. Three out of four feet were cracked, so we were lucky.

Yay PRM - looks great! Weekend was AWESOME! Friday night was the coldest night in I don't know how many years but we got a little fin oil heater that we left on all night and it was plety to keep the chill off the air - especially with J having a bad cough etc.

Kids loved the koalas, Churchill Island and the penguins so we just had a great time - love the van, although DH is already going mmmm an Expanda would be good, or a full van would be good Honestly spoiled. I love that with a pop up you feel like you are in a tent almost and you get all the light in the windows! Anyway not sure when we will go again - we were super lucky that the day was so nice so we could do stuff so I think we might just keep an eye on the weather and if there is a nice weekend coming up we will head down to Anglesea I think!!!

Alish - Lakes is a great idea - will look there as well!! Having said that now I am thinking that Inverloch is closer - has lots to do, we have family there so might just leave our booking as is!

That's awesome, Tan. I saw your pics of Churchill Island, I just want to go again!

Uggghhh having a dilemma.

We're booked to go to Mildura in August, and when we went for a weekend a couple of months back, we found the park and checked it out. Both DH and I were both a little unsure about it as we drove away. But they accept dogs, so that's why we chose it. I've just found out that one of the Big4's there now accepts dogs, so I've sent them an enquiry asking. After I emailed them, I saw that they take dogs to 10kg - putting both of ours over the range. So I kept looking and have found the Big4 at Swan Hill accepts any sized dog, and the park is right on the river with river frontage sites. It looks beautiful. Ahhh what to do?! Ditch Mildura altogether? That way we can just chill out at our site, go fishing from the camper instead of loading all fishing gear and dogs into the car and finding a spot. Swan Hill is more expensive, but it's really nice. Grrrrr.....note to self.....don't look at more sites once the site is booked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The swan hill one looks nice, we comment every time we drive past for Easter

Sorry no help though

Sent from my iPhone, more than likely while I should be doing something else!

ZF you're right, that's no help because I think I want to go there now!!!!!! Can't you say it isn't nice?!!!!

I can't help you either! Maybe Swan Hill if it looks really nice? We stayed a night in Mildura on the way home from our 6 week trip and found the town a bit boring TBH, but we're not into fishing so that might be why . I hope I don't offend anyone, it just wasn't our cup of tea! We are coast lovers so not really the best people to ask LOL!

If you like it better than the other place hun then i say go for it, it's not far out of town (right on the edge), you can take M to see the giant cod, there is plenty of fishing, a few shops, theres the paddle steamers (i want to take the girls on them) theres an old settlement you can pay to go and see.
    I personally LOVE the murray, would recommend swan hill region to anyone - there are some nice wineries further up too but you might want to drive out there...

Swan Hill is booked

Lost our deposit in Mildura, but we figure we're saving on fuel by going to Swan Hill so that's okay. It was only $20.

Trish - We love the coast too, but thought we'd try the Murray as DH hasn't had much luck fishing in the ocean We went to Mildura just for a weekend a couple of months back - but that was to meet up with a lovely BB member!

ZF - The town looks lovely! I was looking at the pioneer settlement, looks great and the paddle steamers would be fun. But we'll have our dogs with us, so we plan to sit and fish instead, and hopefully watch the paddle steamers drift by

Well we're back from Swan Hill. Had a great time. We snuck off a night early - DH got home super early, so we just took off, although we only made it to the park with 15 minutes to spare before they shut the gates!

We stayed right on the river, so my nerves were a bit frayed by the end with us shouting at DD every 3 1/2 seconds to "come away from the edge" All she wanted was to chase the birds and the birds knew that safety was over the river, so constantly took her in that direction. Our dogs were great too, slept in their crate and we've welded two rings to the base of the camper at the back, so we have somewhere they can be tied up securely.

Fishing was a dud, there was a black water release earlier this year, and we only found out about it on day 3. It killed all the fish. We caught a carp, so one is better than nothing! The only thing that bugged us was in a caravan park only about 1/3 full, the staff liked to put all the caravans and campers on top of each other. So on one side of us, there were about three or four vans, and on the other was nothing for a few sites. In another area, an entire row was full, and the opposite side of the road was empty. I guess they had a method, but it seemed a bit odd.

Anyone got any trips coming? Our next one is to the Tarra Valley in November, unless we can pull a sneaky one before that

I was just thinking about this thread PRMG and say you posted! Will post quickly before my ban hits! Your photos of SH looked awesome~! Maybe they were regorwing grass like they are in PI??? Not sure - seems dumb to put everyone right on top of each other like that! I will definitely be looking at that park in the future!

Our next trip will be int eh next few weeks - we will probably end up at the Big Bellarine - down on the coast - looks like a great indoor pool which will be great if the weather is still icky!! Other than that just looking forward to the weather picking up because then we will be going nearly fortnightly AND I am so excited! just realised that I am eligible for long service leave next year! I might take it at half pay and then we can do our long up to Cairns and back again trip! TOOO excited!

Ooo, fun!

We are going to see Lake Eildon with water in it soon. Apparently that is a rare sight. We will be hauling the boat up and then putting everything in it and going over to a camp site. I think it's the 17th/18th of Sept. Did i tell you that i bought some snow boots to replace my gumboots. They'll get a workout up there, and hopefully they are comfy - they WILL be warm at least. Fingers crossed the weather is good.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast