Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Camping Thread

Any helpful hints for camping with a baby?

I agree!! We want to go camping before it gets too cold and DD is 10 weeks old tomorrow... any tips?

Audax: pea****s hey?? LOL gotta love censoring!

Were hoping to go next week, we just bought this cool 8 man tent with a funky little flyscreen room on the front.

We will have 2 air mattresses and basically take a kid each, going to do some fishing while dp is off.

I LOVE camping and can get the tent up in 20min and down and properly packed up in the same time unaided

Sent from my iPhone, more than likely while I should be doing something else!

MadB & Mrs Bexie - Our first camping trip was when DD was 20 months, so I don't have any hands on advice. There have been a few posters earlier though that have talked about camping with newborns, maybe someone will pop in.

ZF - Your tent sounds cool! 20 minutes to set up is pretty good! Hope you get to go somewhere cool soon

And from me....

We have had an absolute blast, despite some very funny and almost disastrous setbacks! First was when we were driving to Adelaide. We'd just crossed the border, and I was driving, looked in the review mirror to see the camper had opened up and the roof was lifting up in one corner with the canvas coming out and flapping about. I was only doing 110kms! Quick pull over to the side, shoved the canvas back in and realised one of the latches to hold the roof down had weakened and had popped open. We used a key ring to keep it together and that worked really well. DH freaked, hoping it hadn't damaged the winch, but I couldn't stop laughing. Then we finally get to the caravan park, get the jockey wheel onto the trailer, get the trailer off the car - the jockey wheel collapses, the winder on it snaps and our camper is now resting on the ground. Again, much cursing from DH, much laughter from me, until I realised that we'd have to somehow lift the camper up. Oh dear. So with a few more choice words from DH and the aid of our car jack, we got it up and propped it up nicely on a cable stand (two metal triangles that has a metal rod run through it that drums of cable usually go on) and we were set!

We had an absolute ball. The beach and park were pristine and the beach was so so quiet. Even on Saturday, 31 degrees and we shared the beach with about four other families. It was awesome. We drove around the Barossa Valley, swam, ate (omg, ate so much!), visited the lovely MummyNaomi and her DH and DS and had them visit us too. I can't speak highly enough for the park, it is spotlessly clean, lush green lawns and wonderful facilities. We loved it so much that on our last day, we rebooked for March next year. DD travelled like a trooper. We left home at around 4.30am and arrived in Adelaide at around 3pm, only stopping twice, and again coming home (bit longer because of the Western Ring Road roadworks). We're just so proud of the way she travelled. So we've had an absolute blast, we love Adelaide and can't wait to go back!

Sounds brilliant PRMG!

Ummm....tips for camping with a baby. Ummmm....
    Don't try to pack too much into your day, so that you can keep it flexible.
    Take a sling - really good for when you first get in to camp, and for day sleeps if you need to.
    Take well covering clothing to protect from mossies. We also used a coil.
    Buy a camping chair that is good for feeding.
    Don't forget to take a wetbag (we failed that one!)
    Have something that will serve as playspace for baby - mat, rocker, whatever.

I got nothin, really. I just sort of did the same as home, only in a tent.

We slept on self-inflating mattresses, DH and I have one each, and DD had a half length one in the middle. She slept in long PJs, and her warmest wrap. That worked well for us, although she only fed from one side all night, so in the morning I was hand expressing into the mud! Quite the sight.

Hey ladies! Popping back in to say our trip went super well! Our tent was ace - massive 3 room thing, and DH and I shared a room with one of the kids each night! We even survived a MASSIVE storm on the last night with minimal leaks! The park we stayed at was great, really clean amenities block, great kids playground, jumping pillow and pool and pretty close to the beach although we didn't go to that particular one! It was called Eastern Beach Caravan Park at Lakes Entrance if anyone wants to bookmark it. They even had a movie night for all the kids on the lawn of the park on the Saturday night and sold popcorn - really great atmosphere! Kids loved it!

We really felt like they had just settled in when we had to come home so that was a bit of a pain, but are planning on going again soon and DH has it pretty firmly set in his head that we should get a campervan...with a toilet I don't think it is necessary and would be totally happy with a fairly newish Jayco Hawk or something but he is looking at ones with a loo! Classic man!!

We would love to get away with friends at Easter but being school holidays as well I don't like our chances. Ah well!

PRMG - Your trip sounds like a riot!! Haha glad you could laugh about it and the place you stayed sounds great!!

That sounds great, Tanstar! Glad you had a great time. The movie night sounds awesome! We'll def bookmark that one for a visit

I've taken all the kids camping by myself last year in the Jan hols and it was just after that DS2 and DD3 were diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. The next time I took them camping (DF came that time ) DD3 walked through the campfire and burnt her feet and hands because DF wasn't looking after her while I was swimming. It took us an hour to get to a hospital and then we came home the next day.

I would love to take the kids camping again (without DF next time as he hates it) but not sure if I can handle 5 kids and a newborn by myself.

We just got back today and the girls had a ball.
    We got a spot right next to the Murray, i set-up the tent, the tables etc and we started fishing
    DD1 had something like 9 fish by the end of the weekend, i had 6 and well DP who knows
    I caught a 45cm Murray Cod, not a keeper but the biggest fish for the w/end and the only cod, DP was NOT impressed.
    All in all we had a ball, it was quite a bit of work for me keeping a 2yr old and 1yr old occupied, away from the murray, fed and keep camp and cooking with DP on crutches but we managed and i wouldn't change it.
    The girls had an absolute ball getting dirty and running amok, DD1 asked the whole way home if we were going back, she was so excited to be sleeping in a tent

ZF - Sounds awesome hun - did you just free camp? or at a site with amenities etc??

Kim - You are ace doing that all by yourself hun - not sure I could do it without DH there, your poor DD - that would have been so scary having to go to the hospital. I actually sussed out where the hospital was on the way to Lakes because I am so paranoid and anxious about things.

Glad you had a great time Tan, I knew you would

Sounds like you had a fantastic time ZF, woohoo on your fishing success!

KimB - Your poor DD . I hope she's recovered OK, that must have been horrific.

AFU - We had a great time camping at Lorne (on the Great Ocean Road) on the Vic long weekend . We do camp in style with a caravan though LOL! It feels very civilised having everything we need in there . We are huge beach lovers and the kids had a ball in the water. DS1 (he's 6) learnt to stand up on his surfboard in the waves for the first time, DH & I are stoked! DS2 (he's 3) discovered a love of riding waves on his boogey board. It won't be long before we get him up on his feet I'm sure .

One thing I thought of to add to your list of things to bring along is a plug or two! I went to bath DD in the caravan park's baby bath trough thingy and it didn't have a plug . Luckily her bottom managed to plug it up . There are two sizes of plug holes so it's worth having both sizes on hand. Even for using camp kitchen sinks, it would be great to have a spare plug on hand. I've just dug out a thin rubbery plug we got from our free water saving kit, it fits any size plug hole so I'm going to put it in the caravan for next time!

Looking forward to our Easter trip down at Wilson's Prom. We're going with two other families who are great friends so it will be fun! One family haven't really camped yet, so I'm hoping this will convert them

Kim - are your older kids old enough to help out with the younger ones? Must have been horrible, poor DD3's feet.

ZF - I think I'll go to bed dreaming about fish tonight. Sounds like a great time! You did well keeping A and Z occupied!

Tanstar - I do that too. Make sure I know where there is a clinic or hospital nearby. Can't be too careful.

Yes ladies DD3 is ok. It took a good many weeks for the burns to clear up and we were worried about them as she does have type 1 diabetes but in the end they have left no scars or anything. It means that she is more careful around hot things but that is not a bad thing to happen. We have been camping since and she stayed right away from the fire.

PRM - my older kids are old enough to help out but it is a matter of IF they want to come next time I go camping lol. They have fun when they are there but whinge the whole time until we get do (are we there yet??? lol)

Trish - it wasn't good when it happened but luckily I was able to hold her in the water with me for over 1/2 hour before we tried to go to the hospital. We were near a fresh water dam and the water was nice and cold so it helped heaps.

Tanstar - lol thanks hun. It was actually easier to go by myself with the kids than take DF with me. He is not a good camper lol. His idea of camping is a 5 star hotel

I have been looking at camper trailers as I think it might be easier to pack that than a tent with all the stuff. I need a trailer to take it all anyway so this way I could have our "house" and even have batteries to make equipment run I like the idea of the pull out kitchenette as well. Oh well that is a dream for later in the year I think

This time next week we'll be off on our two and a half week adventure! Just sorting out our packing lists and stuff now. DD has thrown us a curve ball by now refusing to sleep properly in the sling, so we will have to pack a pram. Booooo. Hubby tried to talk me out of it, but I told him I'd rather do disposable nappies than travel without a pram. Then he knew I was serious

I'm off to make a fitted sheet for her Thermarest.

Aw Audax, jealous much! I hear you on the pram, would be an absolute must for me too. Wishing you wonderful weather and a safe trip

We are goinh camping!!!! Yay!
    On the 30th we are goin to north stradbroke island to camp n 4wd.
    Has anyone been 4wding witha baby? It wont be crazy stuff but i worry she will be bounced round too much? Also did you have them in bed with you? We dont have a portacot but thinking of getting one n it will fit in our tent.
    What are the neccessities for camping with a baby? She is exclusive BF, in cloth but we will use sposies while camping.

Sent from my iPhone so sorry for the spelling and punctuation!!

MrsBexie- We went camping & 4wding when DS was a baby (& PG with DD!!) it was heaps of fun I just had to remind DH not to do too many crazy things but that was mostly for my sake! DS loved it, actually all our kids love a bit of bouncing around in the car and I'm sure it's fine... no worse than a baby bouncer or rocker.
    as for bedding I use a carry bed when they are small and have not tried a portacot in tent only camper trailer which was fine. I know a few ppl that just use the pram as bed because you'd normally take that with you anyway.

Audax - are you back yet? Hope you've had a wonderful time.

MrsBexie - how did you 4wd trip go?

We've decided to give camping a go with our dogs. We've ummmed and ahhhhed for ages, but we're going to try. We take them to best friend retreat in Yarram no worries, but it's all enclosed sites, so taking them away to a different place will be a bit of a challenge. I'm going to buy a crate so the beagle can sleep in it and I don't have to stress about her vanishing during the night. Any other tips? We found a spot in Mildura for $22 per night so we're going to go in August.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast