Thread: travelling with bub & no car!

Default travelling with bub & no car!

Hey guys,

I'm going to Sydney in a couple of months for a friends wedding, and I wont have a car when I'm there - just wondering how people usually get around whe they travel with bubs?

Can taxis provide baby seats? Is public transport the only option? I don't want to hire a car, as I'll only need to travel within the city!

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks

If you're actually in Sydney the PT system is pretty good and with a pram you should have no dramas. There's ferries, rivercats, monorail, trains, busses and the tram.

Taxis are supposed to carry a baby seat and if you book them and specify they definitley will, but I'm pretty sure most don't run around with one.

The other option is to go for a silver service cab for the run from the airport to your hotel. You book in advance, they will guarantee a child seat and will actually be there holding up a sign for you (like a limo service - so you feel very important and almost famous) and all the stuff that makes life a little more comfortable and from memory they are the same fare as a taxi but with an additional charge or about $12 but for the ease of mind well worth paying it IMHO.

Once you are at your hotel just use public transport or ask the reception to book you a cab with a baby seat and then they will make sure again that you have one.

Thanks guys much appreciated

I traveled to Sydney with Maddy on my own when she was 9 weeks old. I used my hug-a-bub ALOT *L* and some lovely well mannered young businessmen helped me with my uber-heavy pram up the stairs of the train station. If you don't want to use a taxi at the airport (you can actually nurse a child under 2 in your arms legally in a taxi...if you don't have the option of a car seat) the train service is fantastic. I found Sydney relatively easy to navigate (the city centre anyway) by foot & train.

I did Sydney Olivia was a small baby (3 months.) I had no problems at all at the airport with cabs and car seats.......the attendant at the front of the cab queue organised it for me in moments.

And from there I used public transport........I ditched the stroller and just carried Olivia in the Baby Bjorn. She went on the ferry, the bus and the train and the monorail.......we laughed that she had been on all modes of transport in one quick weekend!

one of my girlfriends has just travelled around australia visiting friends with her 4 month old, she took a basic pram, baby car seat, sling plus all their clothes were in a backpack - she travelled by planes and all modes of public transport unless friends/family were there to meet her (hence the fact she took the baby seat).

Just don't make it overcomplicated, you do not need 20million pieces of equipment to go out with bubs - heck I had a friend's 11 month old for the weekend and all we had was a car seat (which was used once) and a sling, her cloth nappies/clothes/food etc was thrown in my daypack with my stuff (I don't use a handbag on weekends).