Thread: Travelling under maiden name

Default Travelling under maiden name

Hello everyone

My Dh and I are going to Phuket in August for our belated honeymoon. BUT....my passport is still in my maiden name however all my other ID has been changed to my married name. I called Flightcentre and they told me that I can travel under my maiden name as long as I book my tickets under the same name. But she did suggest I get a new passport in my new name and travel under that. I am not really keen on spending another $200 + on a new passport when we are saving for our holiday.

I am just wondering if anyone has traveled under their maiden name and if they had any problems??

Ahhhh I cant wait to go!

Thanx a bunch

It doesnt cost you anything if you are changing yur name on your passport within 12 months of getting married!!! that should give you plenty of time to change it now before you go. Just google australian passports, you can download all the paper work and info then lodge it at the PO like you normally would. The best thing is that you get a new photo also _ i always hated mine lol

Have fun, we are going to phuket in June!!!!

I'm no help. I never changed my name but if I were you I would just travel on the old passport and get a new one when it expires.
    I could be wrong but I think that if you apply for a new passport within one year of your marriage with your new name on it it will be free for the duration of your old one ie if your passport expires in 2010 then it's free for the 2 years.
    If you ring DFAT they can tell you the rules and regulations.

I got married 2 years ago in February Crumbs......a year too late! haha I forgot to mention its a very very belated honeymoon

Just book & travel on old surname as long as all paperwork relevant to the Holiday (including all accom bookings etc EVERYTHING) is in your maiden name then that will/should be OK!

I still travel with my maiden name. Hasn't caused us any dramas..... I always take a copy of my marriage certificate with us.
    I too missed the 12 month boat to change my name.

Dont worry i missed the boat too. I only knew about the free thing cause we have been married 2 years this feb also and i wanted to change it before we went to phuket! How funny are we. I ended up paying for a new one cause mine was about to expire anyway.

I'm the same as Falguni. I took years to change my name in my passport and once accidently booked tickets in my married name. I took a marriage certificate but was never asked for it. I would take your marriage certificate but don't worry too much.

I have not yet changed my name & recently just traveled with a copy of my marriage certificate on advise from Qantas, all worked out fine.

I haven't changed mine, just as long as name on the plane tickets matches your passport it is o.k.

You can take your marriage cert. along and travel in your married name that way - at least, that was what I was told for my honeymoon. I got a new passport before I married though, couldn't wait to be rid of that teenage me passport picture!

ahhhh i had the same problem if you get the passport re issued under new name within 1st year of marriage it costs you nothing, but you will need to have been married in Australia for it to cost you nothing,

i point that out as i was married in new zealand but from oz and for me i would need to get my name officially registered within Australia's births deaths and marriages. my passport is still in maiden name im keeping it that way till it expires in 8 years. i just carry extra id on me give the passport ppl a call

i must stress passport name and your ticket name MUST match! i juts came back 2 months ago from nz again no issues at all hope this helps

My workmate has an 8 year old passport and has been married for 5 years, so it's still in her maiden name. She hasn't had any problems whatsoever travelling with her passport in her maiden name.