Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling to Vanuatu

Default Travelling to Vanuatu

Hi! We are going to vanuatu for the first week of May and I am really having trouble working out what vaccine's to have. Tilly and I had typhoid and Hep A today, but my worry is Malaria. I thought it wouldn't be needed, but it seems to be recommended. I am just wanting to hear from anyone who has travelled to Vanuatu and what they recommend. Coco apparently can't have any vaccine, which makes me wonder what is the point.
    thank you xo

Most of the time they give u tablets for Malaria dont they? Thats all my sister got when she went there. Pus the 2 needles you have already received. Is it because Coco is under 2? Id be a tad worried she would get something... but Vanuatu is a fairly safe place i thought.. just take extra special care, dont drink the water, wash hands all the time and watch the food your eating too.

Have fun!!

The problem is that the tablets for malaria are a months course and the side effects can be vomiting, tummy cramps etc. For my 8 year old and for me that would be just awful. Coco is ok apparently (don't know why). Also Tilly and I had typhoid and HEP A vax, so we can eat and drink safely. It's just the damn mozzies.

I hear ya there...i had them when i went to Bali when i was 5. I vomitted mine every time, as did mum. She ended up with Malaria and nearly died. Dr practically moved into our house to care for her. Scary stuff....

So did she get malaria because she vomited the tablets and therefore they didnt' work? How scary and awful.

Yeah as she couldnt keep the tablets down she got sick. But i was fine as was my sister and dad. But mum copped it really bad....ive never seen someone so sick as her.

Hi Webbmeg.
    My DP and I went to Vanuatu last year and didn't have any shots/tablets at all. We were told that you only need them really if you are travelling out to any of the islands. We went to the villages just outside Port Villa and had absolutely no trouble.
    Best of luck, you will absolutely love it over there. We are heading back again in June..

We travelled to Vanuatu a couple of years ago and were told the same thing as Nicambhar, so we didn't have any vaccinations before we went.

Meg, we stay with Dh's family in the village in Bali...

Including MIL's family home in the mountains, I have only ever taken a weeks worth of malaria tablets about 13yrs ahgo on my first trip to Bali & I hallucinated big time & so threw them away, I since smother the kids in Mozzie repellant & use the plug in things in their rooms etc & in the mountains use Mozzies nets! they still get a bite here & there but never been ill..

I know there's a insect repellant in Camping shops called Bushmans or something (I havent ever used it) but it's what our Soldiers apparently use???
    I am not sure of the ingredients so it might be worth checking it out... Maybe look up natural ways to ward off Mozzies like Garlic or wearing dark clothing etc as well..

Have a GREAT trip....

Meg: I went to Vanuatu 4 years ago for my honeymoon and the doctor advised that we didn't need to have any jabs. He did say that we could take Malaria tablets but we decided against it because they had made me really sick when I took them when I was younger and almost ruined a family holiday to Malaysia. We just took the usual precautions of long clothing at dusk and after dark and insect repellant. We also have family friends who have been living in Vanuatu for over 3 years and have never taken a malaria tablet.

You can google the Travel Doctor. I think they have a list of what is advised for certain areas.

Oh and you will have an awesome time, we just loved it!!!

Lv Spring

Yep your right Tracey, My DH is ex army and they swear by Bushmans Extra Strength. He went though about a million tubes in Timor. I think it may be too harsh for a kiddies skin though.

The stuff the army issues has a warning not to let it touch plastic, why then would you want to put it on your skin???? Hence my DH always used Bushmans.

Spring

Thanks guys, I think Im making myself sick with worry. The damn internet has too much info on it. I just spoke to a nurse at my Dr's who did recommend bushman's and tropical strenght aerogaurd. I will go to the chemist and check it out. I really want to go to Vanuatu, I just worry about the girls.
    Tracey, where do you get a mosquito net? I know it's probably a dumb question, but I am not sure. I will definitley take one with me.
    I have a really sore throat and am totally run down adn Im sure it's from worry about this holiday. I have to say of all the travel agents/nurses/Dr's I've spoken to, BB has put my mind at rest the most! for DH and I it is fine, we will just drink G&T's!!
    The other thing is, they recommend Coco doesn't have any tablets anyway, and she's the one I worry about (well I do worry about tilly too) so really I don't know why they bother making these recommendations when baby's cant have the vaccine, even though they can catch the stupid disease.
    thanks guys xoxoxo

Meg, try not to worry... You can get mosquite nets in many baby places...
    But unless your going to stay in a far away, uungle type place, I honestly think covering the girls in tropical Insect repellant will suffice!

Many ppl travel overseas & I bet they all have the same worries... Actually there may be a Vanuatu travel forum thingy??? You could ask someone on there who travels there regularly???

Dont stress or you'll ruin your holiday!

Thanks Tracey. Im already ruining it by being so stressed. Have found a Vanuatu chat site, thanks for the tip, and am awaiting a reply!!
    xo

Good Girl, now just relax...

I think your picturing something much more remote than you will find it to be!

In DH's Mum's village in Bangli, we are usually the only Westerners, but we havent gotten sick out there, Maddy's been travelling to Bali for 3+ months at a time since about 9wks of age! You'll have a ball!

My mum just came back from Vanuatu a few months ago. She didn't take malaria tablets cos they make her really sick. She said she was just extra careful and made sure she used insect repellent.

Thanks guys, but after another night of no sleep, and feeling really sick and losing my voice (because of stress) we have decided not to go. I can't tell you how depressed I feel (mainly because of tilly's upset) but I can't risk it. I have had so much professional advice and today after calling my aunt who lived in Papua New Guinea for 10 years, and the travel vax line, I can't do it.
    I know it's at a resort, but we're there for a wedding which will be at dusk (when the girls were meant to be flowergirls wearing short sleeved dresses) and it's on a remote island. Also we wouldn't always be in the hotel and coco is not protected against Hep A or typhoid.
    What makes it worse is that malaria is a disease of the liver and coco had liver probs for her first 5 months, so I don't even know if it's 100% now.
    thanks tracey, I just can't help my anxiety. It sux and I feel so sad at this moment. We are trying to book a hol in QLD to compensate. Just feel sooo bad for tilly. Her 9 year old aunt is going and it would be our first holiday with another child present. So now Im just trying to organise something with kids club. The poor kid is pretty heartbroken.
    anyway, we've made our choice and I'd prefer some upset for a while rather than illness when we return.
    xoxoxo

A great place we stay at in Qld was Ashmore plams, It's cabins with stuff for kids to do & not too afr out from all the partying, shopping, beach, theme parks & stuff, but far enough out that the drunken rowdy party goes arent annoying you!!!

You made your choicenow stick to it & give Tilly a big hug...

I have had TONNES of ppl question us about taking Zyon to Bali at about 7wks of age, but he will be exclusively breastfed & after all My Dh was born there & I just had a new nephew born there, I know we have family etc & access to Private paed if need be... Indah will eat whatever her beloved Daddy eats (she is currently Daddy's big girl). I am fine with it, but if its' causing you stress & worry then you wont enjoy it...

I hope tonight you get a nice Deep sleep!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast