Thread: Weekend away ideas-Melbourne

Talking Weekend away ideas-Melbourne

For xmaz IL's have told us to find somewhwre nice to go away too for a weekeend and they will fly down from NSW to look after the girls.

So now i have to find somewhere nice and relaxing...not busy, nice accomodation (stuff the cost...we not paying..LOL).

We will be driving so dont want somewhere to far away...Craig said no more then 2-3 hours max drive time.

So ladies and gents...help us with some ideas!!

Please!!!

depending on where you want to go (beach, mountains etc) and how soon you're wanting to go, there are some awesome places around. we stayed in a motel in Lakes Entrance last feb - was a package deal with accommodation, drinks voucher, dinner voucher and i'm pretty sure it had brekkie too. spa in the room. pamper pack when we got there (massage oils, bath bomb and box of choccies) - was really nice place. food was delish (we got room service) and being Lakes, you can go walking on the beach and stuff (place was on the main strip...) - would probably be about 3 hours from you...

earlier this year we went to Metung for a couple of nights - not bad - not a lot of extra stuff to do like Lakes, but quiet and, if you're into fishing, you're set!

anywhere up along the border is pretty nice (but pretty busy at the moment - pretty much everywhere is busy at the moment though!!) - i guess that would be outside your travel time though...

not too sure about the mountains - i'm sure there are some lovely places in the dandenon granges, but we tend to fly through there on our way elsewhere lol !!

you could do ballarat (haven't been in ages) or places out from geelong and great ocean road, phillip island... hubby is sitting here spitting out lots of suggestions of places within a couple of hours of you - but having not been there myself, and not knowing the quality of the accommodation, i'm staying hush!! i'm sure other people will have some suggestions for you

Opps..i best add some info....

We will be wanting to go this month....beach would be nice....package deals......something romantic perhaps...as long as its quite and we can just lounge around kid free im happy!!

Accomodation needs to be decent....perhaps soemwhere that has food near by or restruant in the building..or room service!!

the one i pm'd you about has all of the above - and if you decide you want to go to another restaurant, there are plenty in Lakes!! there is a pool and spa (in room if you get that package but another if you get a different room) and it's really lovely! the room we had was on the second floor at the back of the building (so no road noise) and had a small balcony - the balcony overlooked a courtyard with water features and was lovely to sit outside and eat dinner and brekkie there!

check it out hun - wotif is a godsend if you can't get that particular package - Lakes is pretty good to stay most of the time, and if you look at the higher rated stuff, it's usually good!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Weeribbe mansion is gorgeous!!! Really nice resturant and day spa!!!!

Otherwise crown towers ment to be nice!!

Phillip island is nice

Or you could stay somewhere like langham or park hyatt and go to theatre etc!! depends what you want and what you want to spend

Lorne
    Apollo bay

Beach and nice!! neither have fancy resturants but can always get good fish and chips!!!

Lorne has a nice pub with view and great food!!

In city lots of great resturants!!! From china town to lygon st to gourmet smorgaboards!!

as bg look online last minute and sites like that can have great things!

Lorne or Anglesea is great, or what about somewhere like Sorrento or Portsea! Lots of great cafes and beaches!

If beach isn't a prerequisite then what about Hepburn Springs/Daylesford! Very romantic and you can pamper yourselves at the day spa and springs.
    Good luck choosing and enjoy! Im jealous!!

I found Lakes to be great, but this time of year really really busy and lots of holiday makers - not relaxing. other than that it was excellent, and it sounds like Briggsysgirl and I stayed at the same place - a great deal and ultra relaxing.

What about Echuca? They have a day spa up there I think. Yarrawonga/Mulwala if you like watersports and golf. If you want to skip the heat, stay in the Alps - lots of fab places have great deals this time of year, and there are year round spas and shops and activities (I know, I live near Falls Creek). Hepburn Springs also good, lots of interesting places to stay, same with Ballarat.

What else do you like to do, or want to try???

I like both Lakes Entrance and Metung - heaps of variety in accommodation to suit everyone and there's heaps to do around there.... and great food everywhere. I think Anglesea and Lorne way is better for a day trip (in my view) - the food in those areas is very similar to what you get around Melbourne and they are both getting a little upmarket for what I like in a small town.

definately suggest daylesford- heburn spa!
    Not kid friendly at all and you can get a nice cottage there!
    the beach areas will be pretty busy with families this time of the year so maybe even the mountains- say the grampians or even the dandenongs- some nice mansions you can stay at with all the trimmings
    HTH
    odette

the dandenongs are beautiful for a romantic getaway (i'm biased though lol!). there's beautiful accomodation at olinda called lockiel (sp?). grab yourself a spa room and a bottle of yarra valley wine and you'll love it. you could go out for breakfast and check out some of the sites...

I can vouch lochiel is gorgeous we spent our wedding night and next night there in a tree top cabin!

3 levels gorgeous view and HUGE SPA!!!!

Lots of nice places up there I also stayed night before wedding in cute cottages called Brisereinia gardens in The patch
    pm or msn me if you want more info

Wow thanks girls...

We had a look at Window on the Otways..and loved it...

But now im liking the lochiel place!!!

Ill tell MIL all of them and see how much she loves me and wants to pay...LOL