thread: Homebirth General Discussion #11

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

had my birth plan meeting today!!! have the green light for staying at home...highly unlikely that i will birth in the next 30ish hours lol....oh man, now that i have said it watch out hahahaha! sooo exciting to be at this stage! I am Big Kev excited lol.

Jul 2005
    Sydney

How is everyone?

Had my HB group get together today. A new mama who was completely traumatised by her emergency c/s three months ago came along. She needed to unload so badly. I had tears for her. I hope this is the start of a positive journey and turnaround after her awful experience in hospital. She has PND but the relief when she could talk and not have her feelings minimised was obvious. To have others tell her that she was right, she was treated badly and lied to, that she had every right to have wanted a positive birth experience, I think that's what she really needed to hear (and is testament to why telling mothers that a 'healthy baby is all that matters' is so hurtful).

I am yet again saddened and angry that this is how another woman had to start her journey of motherhood. And feeling so relieved that for some of us there is choice and power.

We have our hbing week picnic on Sunday - anyone else have a local event?

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

Oh wow, that poor woman and to think that there are literally 1000s of others like her struggling with nowhere to turn for love and support...mostly because of the myth of a healthy baby being the only important aspect of birth.

We have a midwives picnic coming up too! I totally forgot...it must in the next few weeks. eep! i better double-check!

Got the girls to do some really lovely paintings today of their little sister in the womb I have them up in the birth room and it looks so so lovely! i just havent had a chance to organise a baby shower/blessingway, so this was an important part of trying to 'welcome' our little baby.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

....sooooo quiet in here!

Did the Sydney conference happen? Did you get to go HotI and Jennifer??

Jul 2005
    Sydney

Homebirth General Discussion #11

I got the webinar, so have to watch it yet. Really want to! Have the Ina May Gaskin doco on Friday night and very keen to see that.

How are you doing, Cassius?

Apr 2011
    On cloud nine!!!

Ooo what's the ins may doco jen?!

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

yeah Jen! what is the doco???!!! You have me all intrigued!!!!

I am doing really well now! Thankfully the preterm labour stopped after 2 weeks of solid bedrest and now I feel completely normal for the gestation ITMS. I am eagerly awaiting Birth Day though....soooo excited that I get to have another birth experience at home

pool is up, pictures are up, candles are in place, birth music is sorted....just waiting on a baby

Add Ree*Ree on Facebook

Jan 2009
    Ravenclaw Tower

How exciting Cassius!!! Sounds like you're all ready to go now!

I just had my Hypnobabies home study course delivered this week, anyone here used it (or similar)? I just felt like I needed *something* to help cope with the pain, and it seems like a lot of women have heaps of success with it!

Jul 2005
    Sydney

The film is called 'Birth Story' and Homebirth Access Sydney is having a preview screening. If you're in Sydney, you can find it on FB.

Sounds like you're all ready to go, Cassius! Is someone filming this time too?

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

Jenn: I will have various ipods and the computer set up to film...want to keep the camera for photos ITMS. I am hoping that the computer will pick up most of it though

Ree: I think any preparation along those lines is so invaluable. I did a calmbirth course with DD2 and it really transformed the rest of the pregnancy journey and, i believe, allowed me to fully embrace the birth itself: allowed me to feel totally joyous and welcoming of the waves/surges...very exciting stuff! I love it so much that i have had a refresher session and wow, so powerful and really got me zoned in. now i just need a baby

Add Beatrix on Facebook

May 2007
    within a puff of pink

Cassius- not long now!!!

Ree- nope havent used Hypnosis with my births.. just kinda went with the flow.

Well i am now just shy of 17 weeks and have started to prep my children for the birth, watching lots of you tube videos and brought the book hello baby.. which DD3 (4yrs) thinks is funny as LOL
    I think Dh is becoming more ok with the idea and even myself no where near as doubtful about it. We have decided not to go with a pool, since i have always had such short labours i doubt we would get it filled in time and the midwife agrees. Am planning on getting a mattress for the lounge and I have my fit ball so they are my tools. i can use my shower or bath if i wish as well.

Have booked in for my placenta encapsulation as well

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

B: that is all sounding so awesome and positive! my DD2 (2 years) loves the hello baby book, but now thinks that sometimes you poo a baby out lol, she screams out on that page where it is being born: "baby poo!" hahahaha.

The shower could be really comfy as well if you can get the fit ball in there too to lean over while someone runs hot water across the back...and think about some nice soft cushioning for your knees...eeekk! so exciting planning all the ways!!

Sep 2009
    Melbourne, VIC

Cass: sounds like you're all set!! How exciting Maternity Coalition in Melb are doing a screening of the Ina May doco too if you're interested - I think in Northcote and Elwood?

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

oooh northcote i can do! i live just down the hill from the town hall. i'll check it out...

Beatrix: and BIG YAY for the encapsulation! i am so excited to be doing this this time. anything to help us through this new transition is always welcome i reckon!

Jul 2005
    Sydney

B - sounds like you're really getting there! Runa's Birth was another book DD1 likes, and We're Having a Homebirth! Hello Baby makes me teary. fitball was great for me too, esp with a warm wheat pack held on my lower back.

My birth with DD2 was pretty quick but the pool was heaven! If we have another I will still want one, but I will make sure it's set up ready to fill again! We had it ready this time because I find the pump noisy and DP filled it as soon as I asked. I used it for about three hours and a little while after she was born. Pushing was good in the water, although next time should be faster than 50 mins.

Cassius - set up like that and you should get most things. What kind of photos do you want this time?

Add Beatrix on Facebook

May 2007
    within a puff of pink

Jen- my last birth was 35min from 1st contraction. My main goal is for my midwife to MAKE the birth LOL

Cassius- I'm surprised how ok I am with consuming my placenta. Lol thought I would be ewwwed by it but not really.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

Cassius- I'm surprised how ok I am with consuming my placenta. Lol thought I would be ewwwed by it but not really.
    haha, me too! but it is the fact that it comes in wee little pills and looks all normal and not livery () that convinced me lol!

Jenn: i am after pretty much what i had last time with the photos. Hopefully my calmbirth instructor can make it to this birth as well as she is also a professional photographer that took some lovely shots for us last time. I just really want someone (that isnt DH) to take that first shot of meeting the baby IYKWIM. it's such a powerful moment and i really want that on record!

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Cass, tomorrow is the 27th....just saying....

... 61415161718