Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Important Info About Implanon

Default Important Info About Implanon

Talking with someone about implanon earlier today. Her Dr told her to do a hpt every couple of months to ensure it was working. Did one earlier today, thankfully . Just thought this info might b very important for some ppl.

What the...?

Are some not working then?

Some docs don't know how to properly insert it and you can get preggers, its not a failure of the device, but the practioner.

Some women are also not very responsive to the hormone. I have not had AF since Em was born so was advised to be careful but only heard about doing hpt earlier today. makes sense tho coz no contaceptive is 100% foolproof.

I have one and dp and I take no chances he wears condoms aswell.

I have heard of alot of people having probs coz the Doc didn't put it in properly. One friend has a huge scar coz the doc put it in too deep & they had to cut it out. I personally have been using Depo for 4 years & love it. The two pg's since then happened 4 & 9 months after I went off it so it definetly works well for me, but everyone's different.

mummycate Guest

The hormone in implanon can aggravate depression. I know this because my depression at its worst went away within 2 weeks of my implanon removal.

I had an implanon inserted a year before i met DH and in that time i was not sexually active and when i met dh we never bothered with any thing else. When we decided to TTC, a year and a half after having it in, i went to the dr about having it removed and he couldnt find it and asked me if i had ever been able to feel it, i could for about 2 wks and then i didnt even think about it anymore, any way he eventually located it lodged deep in to my muscle and he said that luckily i hadnt fallen pregnant as there was probably a 80% chance it was not working correctly!!! He told me i was a bit of a guinea pig as it was the first time he ever put one in, hmm he could have told me that at the start, hehe!

I've been advised to get the implanon because the Pill isn't working with me. I was on a regular pill and fell pregnant, then lost the baby. Afterwards I was put on a high dose pill as the other one didnt work for me but the high dose made me depressed and anxious and crazy. It seems its the eostrogen that effects me not the progesterone (sp??) so apparently the implanon will suit me because its doesn't have eostrogen in it.
    I've heard lots of bad things about the implanon and am a bit wary about trying it...Any thoughts??
    Thanks for the info Ali!

I had one in for just over two years and my cycles were all over the place, 19 day bleeds and then nothing for months and each time I decided to get it removed, it would take a week to get in to see my doctor so I didn't bother.

I was also moody and had NO sex drive, less than none.

There has been stuff in the papers in the past that some doctors were not even inserting them, let alone incorrectly. They could not tell when they had been injected or were left in the device.

One thing about getting it removed - my arm was a little chunkier than it was when it was put in, so my doctor had to have a bit of a dig around. Can't see anything now.

It also took us 11 months to conceive the second time, whereas the first time it took three.

I have not heard a good thing about it from anyone.

Barb.

mummycate Guest

My doctor was very good at inserting it. You are meant to feel it under your skin. If you can't then its in too deep.

My periods were all over the place too. Once it went in, I had AF for 6 weeks. Not kidding. It was light but still a pain in the arse. Then 3-4 weeks later I got it again. For 2 weeks. Then 2 weeks later I got it again. I ended up getting AF every 2-3 weeks for 2-3 weeks. It was bothering me so much.

And I had awful depression and I never thought it had anything to do with the implanon until some other mums on here mentioned it to me. I had it removed, mostly because of the AF troubles. After 2 weeks I was back to my bubbly self. I got it put in in April and my mood spiralled down from then. Its much better now.

I'm not saying that Implanon is bad, it was just bad for me. The good thing is that if its not working out, then get it taken out. That's the good thing, can be reversed at any time. That's why I'm not taking the Pill or having Depo Provera as I think the hormones mess me up. But that's what my body does, we're all different. I'm just going with condoms, as well, none of the other methods are are effective or work well for my body.

Choose what you feel is right for you.

I had the implanon in for around 7 months and it made me have crazy mood swings and i kept getting AF every 3 days, so it wasn't right for me but i have heard its good for other people.

I loved mine.

Had it inserted just fine, removed after 2 years, conceived within 2 months. Periods were missing for the first year (YAY!) and then lighter without the serious pain for the second year.

I have not had any proble except for slight moodiness, which could be attributed to being so tired. I can feel it easily and most frieds that have had it have had no problems, including no periods.

Is there any way of determining who implanon will be more suited to?
    I had been interested in getting it, but recently have read more bad stories than good!

The only way to find out for sure is to have it put in, and it's not expensive. u can always have it taken out if it is giving u undesireable side effects. Personally I always forget to take tablets these days, i used to b really good but lost my marbles when i had kids, so the implanon is perfect for me

I suppose i'll be over my fear of doctor's/surgery by the time i have the baby so i won't be so scared of getting it in. Can it be taken in conjunction with the pill/mini-pill or is there too many hormones involved. I'd rather have the implanon but if i end up being irregular of moody i'd sort of like to have both to stabilise it, IYKWIM

It can b taken in conjunction with the mini pill if absolutley necessary but that is more to control some side effects.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast