Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 19 to 34 of 34

Thread: Advice needed re Induction/Medical Intervention

  1. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,633

    Default

    Is IVF really a factor?
    How are you feeling - do you think you can come to terms with this deadline? Your baby is so close now, I hope you can find a little peace and calm before you welcome him earthside.


  2. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,362

    Default

    Seachange - firstly big after everything you've gone through to get here, it's always a bit of a shock when more difficulties/risks get pointed out. The nice thing to remember is that because of all those horrible risks, you will be monitored VERY closely - so hopefully that will help give you some peace of mind. And at the end of the day, 38-39 weeks is a pretty well-baked bubba.

    I remember having a horrible shock when the endo said something similar to me... previously I'd been caught up in the whole "is GD really that bad/I can birth a big baby" debate. I hadn't realised there were other considerations (i.e. placenta), but when you get down to it, you're better off being informed and being proactive (I believe). I know it's easier said than done, but please try not to stress. GD babies are managed VERY well nowdays and it's all to reduce the risk... which means you can also reduce your worry. My Aunt-IL had GD 30 years ago and her BSL's were monitored once a WEEK! It makes you realise how far we've come.

    So yes, at the end of the day you're on a path with more intervention - and it's your choice to make an informed decision about accepting that intervention. I believe that you will find that you can move forward with a clear heart and an informed mind and feel confident about your pathway and the decisions you make. When I see friends who had births with inductions or unplanned c-s's who hadn't thought it through (had no risk factors), they are the ones who were shell-shocked and felt powerless. The women who HAD risk factors, who looked at it all before, thought through it all (yeah that's me ) - well I'd back my induced birth any day of the week, cos i am so gosh-darn proud of it, and myself (and oh maybe DH ) - I made the best choices for me and bubs every step and I wouldn't change a thing. You get the hard stuff to think about before but it'll help you get through it in the best possible way!

    All the best thinking it through... I'm thinking of you and following your journey with well wishes & good vibes

  3. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    marcellus - Had some down moments today, mainly about how this has been high intervention all the way through, and it would be really nice if my body just worked for a change, however I think that I would rather be told upfront about the risks so I can come to terms with it. And I have to accept the fact that I am not 25 and can call all the shots.

    belfie - I agree that being shown the whole picture makes it a lot easier to deal with - just have to process it now.

    Thanks everyone for your input - it really helped today.

  4. #22

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    travelling
    Posts
    9,557

    Default

    Hun, could you maybe ask for your placenta to be monitered? I know they can do this by scanning however often. Then, if they start to see a change in its health, you can agree to the induction?
    I don't think its fair you are feeling as torn as you are, but I don't know the risks of having a baby over 40 very well either.

    I know you will do the best thing for your baby. What you feel is right. I would definetely be inclined to turn them down on the 'big baby' factor, since I have a friend who birthed a 10lb 10 baby without GD, but there is a good chance bub's isn't so big anyway, so thats a good thing Less for them to pressure you with iykwim.

  5. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Port Macquarie, NSW
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaChange View Post
    ... he also stated that the risk of me having a stillborn once the baby hits 39 weeks is pretty high.
    Did he say why this was? I'm not necessarily saying he is wrong, and I udnerstand that with all of the risk factors you would want to be monitored very closely in the lead-up to your due date, but that sounds like a pretty bold, and scary, declaration for him to make.

  6. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,633

    Default

    I wish it weren't so, but I think Belfie expressed it really well - you know you need the extra care and it's for the best. You still have a little time to get your head around this, so I hope you can get a little clarity in the coming week or two.
    It is very scary to hear the Stillbirth 'threat'.

  7. #25

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Seachange sorry to hear all the stress you have been under.
    I had GD and struggled quite a bit with all the 'what ifs' to toss around in my head. There were so many different view points and all I wanted was to hold my babe safely in my arms. I had extra monitoring from 38 weeks with CTG's every second day. It was reassuring to know that if something was wrong they would pick it up ASAP. Having said that my Obs agreed to let me go to 40 weeks but no longer.
    DD2 came at 4 days before induction day and all was well.
    Looking forward to reading your BA (hoping that bubs decides to come early on their own).
    Take care. xxxxx

  8. #26

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,244

    Default

    seachange, just wanted to pop in and offer some more support & .

    i had GD & the doctor offered me an induction at around 37-38 weeks but i negotiated the extra monitoring to take me through to the 40 weeks. i'm not saying you should do this, just that i understand how tough it is to be faced with the thought of not wanting more intervention but having to balance this with potential danger to the baby. i ended up being induced right on 40 weeks but felt i had time to become as well-informed as possible before it happened. i asked questions regarding how long they would let me labour once on the drip/my waters broken & hospital policies on babies of GD mums re-special care etc. i agree with belfie that you have the opportunity to feel more in control because you know what is coming & can prepare yourself.

    i'm also looking forward to reading your BA.

  9. #27

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In my own private paradise
    Posts
    15,272

    Default

    hun, you know i have your back any time. i can see why this has thrown you, and i don't want to add anything to the 'is he right' debate - i think melbel and belfie have been pretty much on track with my understanding - and irrespective of whether the statement by your ob was bold or out of line, given all the issues you've had with anxiety etc through this pregnancy, if trusting in him and having your little man early reduces your anxiety levels, then go with that. the stress you would be putting yourself under to push on with those thoughts in your head might be a bad idea from a maternal health perspective. there are two of you to consider - you are equally important!!!

    you know what is likely to happen with special care etc - make your call based on what feels right to you and what will serve you and your boy best

    love you hun - and can't wait to hear your BA!

  10. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Funky Town, Vic
    Posts
    7,070

    Default

    I think if you are being closely monitored and the placenta is going well, it would be ok to wait a little? Would it be ok not to go with the firm 38 wk date and take it day by day after then?

    I think you have a few more options rather than the concrete ones you were given. I'm sorry you were given the stillbirth fright, I'm sure that didn't help your anxiety any xoxoxo

  11. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Hi everyone,

    Thanks so much for your input and support. After hearing all the options, plus having a chat with my perinatal counsellor today, I have made my decision. If anything changes I will let you know.

  12. #30

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,633

    Default

    Can't wait to see your BA

  13. #31

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    6,683

    Default

    I am so glad that you have made a decision that is right for you hun Now the fear and worry about what to do is behind you, you can prepare for the very last stage of this much awaited pg. Very soon you will meet your LO All the best hun.

  14. #32

    Default

    I am glad you have come to a decision you can now work towards. Sometimes dealing with the uncertainty can be the worst thing. All the best for welcoming your LO into the world!

  15. #33

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In Bankworld with Barbara
    Posts
    14,222

    Default

    Hun, I know that all you want most in this world is for that precious baby to be in your arms, and if that meant making a compromise, then I'm sure that is 100% the right thing for you to have done I can't wait to hear that bubs is finally here

  16. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaChange View Post
    Hi everyone,

    Thanks so much for your input and support. After hearing all the options, plus having a chat with my perinatal counsellor today, I have made my decision. If anything changes I will let you know.
    good on you, sometimes the decision is half the battle! I hope it's left you feeling better about it all and I'm really looking forward to seeing your BA too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •