Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do I have a choice? (Getting induced)

Default do I have a choice? (Getting induced)

With DD I was induced 8 days past my EDD, its something the dr just set a date for & told me I was doing it.

Im really wanting to avoid being induced this time round (well it might not even come to that, tad bit early to tell,lol).

If my EDD date comes and goes and the Dr sets a date can I refuse?

How long can I refuse? (say I get 2weeks past EDD)

Do I have any other options? (apart from c-section)

Of course you can! If there is no medical reason for induction other than going over you edd then you are quite safe to continue your pregnancy. You are employing him so I think you need to tell him of your wishes to go into labour naturally.

Best of luck and I hope you don't even make it your your due date

Tanya

Like Tanya said - of course you can choose. You do not have to do what the doctor tells you - all the doctor can do is recommend a course of action and it is up to you to decide what to do.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Absolutely! Full term is to 42 weeks. So induction should be disussed after then, or if baby or mother is unwell. You have the power here, you are the paying customer, but the medical profession have done so well at convincing the majority of the population that they don't know how to birth that women just think doctor knows best, even though every doctor will have a different opinion.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

oh this is one thing that REALLY gets my goat up.... (I don't really have a goat... I digress)

Induction is something that should be used for medical reasons, going past the EDD, that is ESTIMATED DUE DATE is not a reason to induce a labour. As Kelly said, 42 weeks is full term, after that then there could be a reason.

My first was induced at 17 days post EDD, partially because the hospital was nervous & partially because I was over it mentally. My second they started talking about induction at 7 days post EDD and as I was trying for a VBAC I refused. The OB at the hospital put a lot of pressure on me & it was very hard to stay firm, at 10 days post EDD there was more pressure put on me so I asked for a scan to give me a medical reason why I would agree to one as it is increasing the risk. The scan showed that I was near the end of pregnancy but going okay, so I bought time and went into spontaneous labour and had DD 12 days post EDD.

I would suggest getting some support JIC. I had my fantastic doula on the phone and my husband with me to fight my battle.

I'm glad I finally have a partner in crime Christy!!! Everyone knows it's my 'mountain' goat too LOL
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I agree with everyone else, you have every right to refuse. An induction should not be considered before 42 weeks unless there are other medical reaons.

Wow Christy - 17 days past edd - never heard of in these times (well I haven't!)
    GL Lindsay, I hope you go into spontaneous labour!

Haitch Guest

there's a website called something like "10 month mama's" and it was very reassuring to me towards the end of my 2nd pregnancy. just like we all have unique but similar mentrual cycles, so do we all have unique but similar gestational cycles. Babies know when they're ready to arrive.

i was induced with 1st bub and when i examine that situation with my retrospectoscope I realise that there was no reason to induce me.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; November 26th, 2007 at 09:05 PM.

Lindsay, I'm 10 days over as of today, booked in for induction on Wednesday. Went in for monitoring today and discussed my concerns with the midwife and obstetrician, they are happy to review again on Wednesday and if all is still looking good play it on a day by day basis.

I explained to them that I have no issue with induction (or any intervention) if it is medically necessary, but that I want to ensure the best, safest outcome for bubs and myself and that at this point in time there is no indication that induction will achieve this.

It really helps to have as much information as you can about the benefits and disadvantages of induction - if you can give your doctor reasons for your concern they are more likely to negotiate alternatives with you rather than try to tell you what to do! BB is a wonderful source of information!

Great advice and well done Suse It sounded like you really were in control of the situation and were well informed. Kudos to you!!! x
    Kelly xx

Thanks Kelly!!! Couldn't have done it without you!

Awwww you are a sweety! It is really hard to convert it into action though, can often be intimidating taking control of a situation where you have doctors around (white coat syndrome!) and sometimes it can even open you to bullying, but they sounded really receptive which is wonderful. I think you worded it beautifully. Well done!
    Kelly xx

Timely thread for me to read - I am still 9 days from my EDD but starting to get nervous about induction (probably because 4 women in my December buddies have had their bubs already!!) I agree with Suse - BB is a great source of information and it is solely due to BB that I think I will have a good chance to stave off any unnecessary intervention....

Thankyou all for you replys... they have all been really helpfull. I feel so silly that I didnt know that I didnt have to be induced & I also feel that the Dr did wrong by me..

BB is a great source of information and it is solely due to BB that I think I will have a good chance to stave off any unnecessary intervention....
    Same here!! I wish I had of had all this info last Dec, I cant change what happend but I can try my best (strapped with knowledge)this time to get what I want.

All the best for this time, Lindsay. Forearmed is forewarned. It is a shame that some docs don't seem to realise that presenting women with options and alternatives to the usual obstetric routine can be so empowering. Some docs are caught up in their own system, on a roll doing the things they're just used to doing. Like routinely offering induction at a certain number of days past the EDD, but not saying things like:

* 42 weeks is full term
    * some women naturally go to 48 weeks
    * you don't have to be induced unless you want to
    * here's the pros and cons of induction
    * here's other ways you can prepare in body and mind for labour
    * it's your choice ultimately
    * there's a very slight increased of still birth after 43 weeks, but anything we do carries risks, inductions have risks of their own, such as ... and including a higher chance of c/s
    * relaxation, good nutrition, trusting your body etc all help you go into labour at the right time for you and your baby and help your hormonal sytem rock along nicely

To their credit, some obs and midwives DO say these things to their clients, as they should. But some just get stuck in the This Is The Way We've Always Done It.

I'm so sorry you feel the doc did wrong by you. Awful feeling to have. I can relate. I feel sad when i see and hear of so many gorgous healthy women getting the conveyor belt approach in our maternity system. It is great we have places like BB to share and spread the word. Knowledge builds confidence and confidence helps us birth the way we are made to.

Lindsay have you got a doula darl? (Very bold of me to suggest it since I am a doula myself but I'm past being *tactful* about it, I want every birthing woman to have that support and resource! The only way to have the continuity every birthing woman deserves unless you hire a private midwife (another excellent idea) or are able to get into a Know Your Midwife scheme - (like the one they are axing at Biralee in Box Hill (Melbourne).

Thankyou so much for that info Julie.. I agree knowledge does build confidence so im trying to get all knowledged up,lol.

I would love a Doula but DH would never let me spend $ on getting one since he knows I birthed without in the 1st time.

Linz, could you maybe get a trainee doula then if your DH doesnt want to spend money on one as they are free?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast