Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do I have a choice? (Getting induced)

trainee doula? Like one from tafe/uni? Do you know how id go about getting one?

Doula's don't go to tafe or uni. They are Doulas that havent done all of their required births (usually 3) to gain certification. For instance i'm a trainee doula with birth central(now called australian doula college) and they are based in sydney. Most doulas however do their course online/via correspondence.

What state do you live in? You can try contacting australian doula college or optimum birth they both have trainee doulas on their books(just google them)

Aaaah ok, thankyou so much hun!

Lindsay I reckon there'd be many a trainee doula who would feel honoured to support you. Most trainee doulas don't find it all that easy to find clients for their three student births and are keen, excited and motivated! You could post a request for a trainee doula is this thread:

Looking For a Trainee Doula - BellyBelly Forums ~ Pregnancy, Birth & Baby

You know, giving birth is not about what husbands or obstetricians or any one else (midwives, doulas, mother/MIL, best friend or frenemy) 'makes' you do, or 'lets' you do or does not 'let' you do. It really is a time for women to be strong, clear and assertive about what WE want to birth safely and well. It's a time for women to take control and take up their authority and responsibility. Your dh might not be very impressed if you spend money on a doula, but it is not his right to 'make' or 'let' you do anything. He's entitled to his views and he may feel a tad disgruntled - until he sees the outstanding benefits and on-going positive effects. It's a challenge, to be able to face nay-sayers (and sometimes, negativity), and state our needs and desires clearly and firmly. "I am receiving the baby bonus for this baby, and I choose to spend $850 of it on hiring a doula to help me prepare the best that I can and so that I receive continuous support during labour, which is proven to give optimal results. I believe this will not only be safer for me and the baby, but will also enhance my well-being and therefore the well-being of the children I nurture, for years to come. This is not a selfish choice, because when I receive the nurture and care I rightly need at this time in my life cycle, then I am able to be a better mother, person ... and wife. The positive effects will be felt even in my relationship with you after the baby is born. Therefore I believe it is well worth it and a pro-active step to take that will be good for our whole family. I appreciate your concerns, but this is my decision."

Women tend to be so giving and caring, we're the nurturers, and it can be easy to get carried along by those who are used to weilding power and making decisions, and just passively let them continue to make the decisions for us. But birth is a time to step up and exert new strength that will enhance our growth towards maturity: time to grow up and be a big girl - a woman who roars! Being 'selfish' is really the most unselfish thing you can do when you're having a baby.

Here's a new site that might be helpful for arming anyone who wants to avoid getting carried along by the system, it's called Pushed Birth. What To Expect. Really!"

http://jenniferblock.com/wordpress/?page_id=9

It has a good collection of info, articles and studies to inform & equip yourself with. It's Amercian, but like the Rikki Lake doco showed, there's quite a few similarities between what's going on in USA and here.

All the best!
    Last edited by Julie Doula; November 30th, 2007 at 03:54 PM.

Very well said Julie!

Thankyou so much Julie & VERY well said! I will deff be talikg to DH tonight once DD is alseep about it.. Thankyou once again.

Oh darl you are so welcome, your birth is such a special time and you DESERVE all the support you're entitled to, every woman the world over is. I hope your talk tonight goes really well and that you'll be united in choosing what will benefit your whole family most.

In many places around the world, it is well known that continuity of care by a known caregiver (usually a midwife) is best and safest for mothers and babies, and provides the most satisfaction for mothers. It is recommended by the WHO too. Aussie mums are missing out, we don't have that here yet, unless you are able to get onto a Know Your Midwife scheme. So hiring your own private midwife or doula is the only way Aussie mums can have that continuity and personalised care at present. We're hoping that will change!

Linz, Evan was also induced (or what ever its called when you only have the syntocin to speed things up). I just did as I was told, first baby & I thought they knew best.
    Isla was 2 weeks over & I refused point bloank to have any thing done to encourage her out. The OB used scare tacktics (sp?) which didn't work. They were happy to let me go as long as I had daily monitoring & U/S to make sure everyone was still sitting pretty.
    The key is to be armed with information. Make sure tim supports you & knows your wishes. This is something I even had to make sure with DH, I had to get him to promise to not take the Ob's side if it came to the crunch.

Thanks Fiona, you can tell me more about it on Wednesday!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12