Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Breast is best for my son, 3

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

A reminder that we ask all of you to read THIS post prior to posting in the gentle parenting forums.

I post certain topics and articles in here as I know that it may seem too 'out there' for some people - I started this section because I didn't like posting things that I liked to do elsewhere and get answers of routine and everything but gentle parenting.

So please think before you post, this is a special place for gentle parenters and you are welcome to post opinions but please do not label them with emotions - it's not fair to judge anyone's parenting efforts.

Personally I am very over breastfeeding my son who is 18mths, but I keep going because I believe that he will wean in his own time and it will be soon anyway. It seems important to him now and I will keep going, despite people wondering why - it's just become so abnormal to breastfeed a toddler to some! Marisa weaned when she was 2.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

i feel alot better now and kelly well done on continuing feeding elijah i know it's hard when we have different ideas than our bubbas. nellbe the article didn't upset me at all. it was interesting, thanks kelly for posting it.

sorry i was feeling a little sensitive there 8-[ , i can't even blame my hormones cos i aint got AF yet!

love beckles

Sometimes some things get put into perspective, Elijah spent the whole night screaming upset. I tried settling him for most of the night, run out of panadol so couldn't give him that, he had a fever and wouldn't breastfeed for long and was just beside himself. Tried getting a locum but they had no panadol nor antibiotics they could offer anyway. It got ridiculous so I went into emergency as I had a feeling he had an ear infection as he was screaming 'sore' and covered his ears.

When we got to hospital, he did have an ear infection and they gave him some paracetamol, as well as codeine and nurofen as he was that upset. I then offered him the breast and after a night of no sleep for both of us, his eyes rolled into the back of his head and he had a feed and fell completely asleep, dead to the world.

It was one of those really moving moments where I was so glad to still be breastfeeding
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I am desperately hoping to be abe to bf next baby, I wasnt able to with Jackson, was never showed how to do it properly and he never learnt as he is an extremely lazy sucker, I was in pain for months and he was not getting enough milk.

I can see myself bf until upto about 18 months, past that I myself would not be comfortable with, but I dont find anything offensive about bf pas 2yo. I do think 8 or 9 years old is going a tad too far! there would definately be some social issues coming into play I would think.

"It was one of those really moving moments where I was so glad to still be breastfeeding "

Well said.......I LOVE those moments and you feel SOOOOOO good!

Beckles you have misinterpreted what I said, My critisim was for the women in the article I read, not anyone in this forum. As I stated I am very pro breastfeeding Babies.

However setting aside the topic, this is a forum, in which I believed we were feel free to be able to express our opinions. I don't believe I was nasty or singled anyone out, I just gave an opinion, I am sorry that you are offended by my opinion and also extend that to anyone else who maybe offended, if we all had the same opinions it would be very boring indeed, if it makes you feel better I will ask the mods to remove my posts from in here. I don't mind and I won't be offended.

If this was an inappropriate place to voice my opinion, I'm sorry( not for my opinion but for where I voiced it) please remove my posts as I'm sure it will make the regular posters of this thread more comfortable if it was removed.
    Ta Dee

Dee, I haven't removed your post but I have edited it. I think it's unfair to use such strong words as 'sickening' when it comes to someone's parenting choices, especially when they think they are doing the best thing for their own child. As you would read in the announcement post about these forums, I created the gentle ones so I could post and not feel judged about my choices as a gentle parent, of course everyone else too. I welcome you to say you don't agree and voice your opinion, but please don't make it more personal than that, it defeats the purpose of having these here - who is going to feel comfortable posting in the gentle parenting forums when they know someone posts who feels sickened by what they do?

Lets move on now, if anyone has any further comment or issue with this topic, please email me off forum.
    Kelly xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12