Thread: Bloody Hamish!!

Default Bloody Hamish!!

Hello all - been a while, but here I am in NZ, and I finally have broadband, which makes ever so much of a difference!

Anyway - on to the baby situation. So Hamish is 1yo. OMG!!! And he has always been a pig to feed, but at the moment I think he is self weaning. Kindof.

He screams if I try to feed him during the day, but he is happy to feed overnight. Most days he is only feeding about 1am and about 5-6am, and then nothing else. In the last week he has fed only once during the day.

Do I just keep sloggin along letting him decide? I dont really want to cut him off, but I do feel like he should be having more than he is. Its a major screaming battle when I try to feed him during the day though.

I will admit I never really believed the infant led feeding thing at this age, but he is seriously leading this lack of feeding program!

I hope all my lovelies aroudn the traps are doing well off to check who has had their new babies.... Trish? Have you popped yet?

Fi, you're not pg are you? The same thing happened with Jack and guess what!! ALthough actually Tom is now similar, he's down to a feed first thing when he wakes up and most nights, but not all, a feed before bed. He screams if I try to offer during the day, and I am not pg this time!! I am still offering atm, and will for as long as he's still having feeds, although I will probably stop offering during the day soon. It is sad when they wean before you are ready, but at least if he is leading it, you know that you have given him what he needs and he has stopped when HE is ready, not you. So I guess my advice is to go with the flow. Keep giving him the feeds he will take and maybe accept that your bfing relationship is reduced, but at least not over yet. GL.

Fi, Hi huni. I was going to email you back but I've kinda been busy Have a search around you will will find my birth announcement and birth story if you want to catch up.

Ok, back to your problem. Personally, as much as you want to feed Hamish, if he don't want it, no matter how hard you try he won't take it. The ball is in his court sadly. I hope for you that Hamish decides to love the boobs for a bit longer still. Your a great BFer and I'm sure Hamish has gotten a great start out of his 12 months on the breast.

Happy 1st Birthday to Hamish !!

Abbey had quite a few feeding issues in the beginning and I was so sad to think that we might not make it. But I put in the hard yards this time and got her through.

Hi Fi great to see you

This sounds like what I went through with Angus when he was self weaning. Not any interest at all during the day and if I tried to feed him he'd cry or bite. If he did latch on he'd only have a suck or 2 and that was it.

It ended up being the end for us because he was sleeping through.

Whatever happens you've done a great job. It's hard to come to terms when you feel "rejected" before you're ready!

Heya Fi! Welcome back!

I agree that if he's leading the way, there's not much you can do. Just enjoy those night feeds while they last.. you never know.. they may go on for ages! I thought Tallon might wean at one stage but we're still going strong. If we're out and about he doesn't have a day feed, but on days we're home he'll have one through the day as well as his morning and night feed. So day feeds are hit and miss for us.

Hi,

I bet he is pretty busy during the day - so much to do, especially in the lead up to christmas. He's too young for a food fight, so, enjoy your freedom during the day. Calmly offer if you wish, but don't make a fuss about it. I think two or 3 feeds at 12mnths is pretty common. While he might seem uninterested at the moment, I think you will feed for a good, long time, if you just follow his lead.
    Regards
    Barb

Hi Fi

I wouldn't be surprised if he changed back again at some point as well. Lucy goes up and down in number of feeds at night according to whether she has a cold or virus or not. She's been consistently on one feed in the morning and one at night otherwise for many, many months. She doesn't look like wanting to give those two up for quite a while yet and she's approaching two. It seems some toddlers feed fairly often and some only want a couple a day. I don't think it means they'll give it away if they're not having many.

And I'm definitely doing infant-led, so haven't prevented access apart from distraction if I think she's just wanting attention, rather than a feed.

Hilarious.
    Yesterday my boy went from some days not having a feed within 24hrs to feeding 3-4 times a day again, and once over night.
    What the????

He has even started pulling at my top to get at them, and when he has finished one side he sits up and pats the other breast. Funny!!

I'm wondering if him getting walking sorted was the reason? He started walking about 6-7w ago, and that was when his interest started to wane. Now he is walking well, I guess he can go back to thinking about boobies!!

Thanks for all the advice girls.

Wow Fi, that's great. I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Fi, good to hear that Hamish is feeding better.

How cute at Hamish patting the other booby too

Hey Fi! squish that little fella for me won't you???

Elizabeth has "boob" and "unboob", she constantly points them out to me like I have forgotten they are there....

If she falls asleep ofter only having one, she wakes up yelling "un, un, unboob" so she can have the other.