Thread: DVD Baby-led weaning = introducing solids method?

Question DVD Baby-led weaning = introducing solids method?

Just browsing through the latest ABA catalogue, and there's a DVD in it called "Baby-led weaning" - but it seems to refer to a method of introducing solids which 'avoids spoon feeding and purees and instead allows babies to feed themselves from the very beginning.'

Has anyone watched this, read about this or know anything about it?

As an aside I'm always confused when the word 'weaning' is used to mean 'introducing solid food' - in my mind weaning is the cessation of consumption of mother's milk! So I've never really paid any attention to 'weaning' books before and suddenly find there's a gap in my knowledge!

Marydean, I read about it in the ABA magazine a couple of months ago (can't find it ATM, hopefully Barb will see this and fill you in). It's meant to be a fantastic DVD. I get your confusion , but yes, this DVD is specifically about introducing solids.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Did they have an article about it in an Essence Mag (I skipped a few when bubs was born - haven't caught up on any of my reading yet)?

I'm really just interested in how it's supposed to work if you're not pureeing - pureeing is the only way I've ever heard of introducing solids!

Does your local ABA group have a copy of the DVD you can borrow? I know it is something that I am interested in. I do remember with DD giving her a piece of rockmelon early on and she seemed to cope with it quite well. Thought I was doing something wrong, so I stopped when I probably should have continued.

Good thinking Astrid, I will ask on Monday. I remember being encouraged by an ABA counsellor to give DD1 finger food earlier than I would have thought to, but she loved it. Spooning purees in (agonisingly slowly might I add) nearly drove me to a distraction but the finger food was always a winner!

Ellibam Guest

this is what we are doing with arquene!
    after 6 months(when they are ready) you give them a peice of well cooked food, which they put in there mouth and suck/chew!

its really easy(much easier then purees)IMO

Yep, it was in Essence a few issues back, there was a big article about it. Definitely speak to your ABA group about it, they might have the DVD for you to borrow.

Thanks for that, I will definitely get a copy of that article and read up some more!

MD, the term weaning means introducing anything other than bm. We misuse it by using it to describe stopping bfing totally. I read the Essence article and it was really interesting and logical. The basics are that once babies are ready for solids (at around 6 months usually) they are ready for finger foods. The reason purees were introduced as a first food was becauase for many years babies were being introduced to solids too early (ie 6 wks, 3 mths etc depending on how long ago you're talking) and babies weren't ready for solids and therefore weren't ready for finger foods. The article talks about the psyiology of why babies are actually less likely to choke on finger foods when they are ready to eat, than when being spoon fed purees.

It made so much sense and I wish I had of read it before starting solids with the boys. But interestingly, it says that parents tend to discover this for themselves as they have subsequent children and get less bothered with pureeing - I know this was true for me. Thomas wasn't on purees for very long at all.

Hi,

Coming in late - it really is a great DVD. To my mind, not much different to the information ABA (Nursing mothers) has always given. As some-one said, it's just so simple and logical.
    Gill Rapley will be speaking at ABA's "Breastfeeding: A work of Heart" seminars. Get along to it!
    As others have mentioned - it's great to

Regards
    Barb

I haven't seen the DVD but I bought the ABA's booklet on Introducing Solids and used that as my bible. I never pureed anything for my DD but I did mash some of our leftover vegies sometimes.

DD always loved finger foods and has a very healthy appreciation for food and I totally credit the ABA with giving me such great advice from the beginning.

As an aside I love a show called 'House of Tiny Tearaways' from the UK that is on Lifestyle channel on Foxtel (a psychologist tries to help children with behaviour problems). They always have kids in there that have serious food/eating issues (ie won't eat anything that isn't yoghurt or pureed) and the common theme with all is that they don't like touching food or getting 'messy' with food. So finger food from the start would definitely avoid this trap.