Thread: helping her self

Ellibam Guest

Cool helping her self

i saw a comment recently(not sure if it was on here or some one i was talking to) that a mum did want to bfeed when her child could "help them selves" to boobie.

so after this morning i was having a giggle and realised im not stopping cos my daughter can help her self!

Arquene who is 6 months crawled from her cot(next to our bed no sides) to me grabbed my boob and 'helped her self!'

im so glad she can get it with out my assistance now!

just a little story i thought i would share

Hehe self-service bbs...

I taught my DD to gently pat my chest from a very young age when she wanted bbs and she still does that (if I'm not listening she starts patting harder and that certainly gets my attention!). She also says 'boobie' now, quite insistently. She only helps herself during the night if she's fallen asleep beside me, but that's because it would take some effort to help herself during the day when I'm fully dressed!

I wonder what kind of image this mother had in mind? My poor DD would struggle to get my bra undone in the right place...

LOL Ellie. Thanks for sharing - that is a great story.

I too see no problem with self-service - the other day when I was in the bath with the boys Tom just latched on without warning.

heheh gee all these babies are cute!! Wonder what goes through their little minds when they do it?!

Yep, another one here that likes to help herself. I must start teaching the patting thing though Jennifer, that sounds like a great idea for when you are out and about!!

Aww I am looking forward to the self service again.. My son Jacob used to come up and say Boo Boo mummy

Jennifer,

Can I ask how you actually taught DD to pat your chest? My DD is 5&1/2 months and I would love to give her and me a sign so that I knew that she wanted a feed.

I'd like to know how you taught the chest pat too. My friend's daughter starts pulling quite roughly at her moms shirt when she wants boobie and I think that would annoy me a little. I'd rather have a soft pat than rough pulling at my top.

Thats a lovely story. self service at it's best. My 17mth old will ask for mummies milk( mer mer) usually at lunch time before she has a sleep, it works for us. I suppose a lot of people get an idea into their head about when a bub should be weaned, my MIL said she weaned when the bubs got their first teeth. If that had been my idea then my kids wouldn't have made six months before weaning.
    Last edited by rosehannah; February 2nd, 2008 at 12:11 PM.

To teach her to pat my chest softly I would pick her up when she was obviously hungry and ask 'boobie?' and pat my chest softly. She would get excited and after me doing that every time for a while would pat after I did, eventually she would pat me when I picked her up if that's what she wanted.

HTH! It was MUCH easier to use our own little sign language so that I knew what she was crying/asking for.

Wow Jennifer, what a great idea.