Thread: I'm a hippie, control-freak, earth-mother man!

Smile I'm a hippie, control-freak, earth-mother man!

OK! the title was a bit silly, but honestly I really do feel like I have the best of both worlds!
    This time round, I've been listening to TheStar alot more than her older sister and have realised without even meaning to, that I have been a so-called gentle parent! and am doing-infant led feeding. To be honest is there really any other kind of feeding?? Baby cries, you feed!

Anyway - my question is - I THINK my bubby is getting hungry (she's nearly 6 months) but she's not real good at "eating". Ie. it goes in, weird face pulled, it comes out, it goes in more watery this time, it comes out with even more drool...and so on.

I don't want to accidently wean her, and I don't want her to miss out on iron and nutrients etc.

Any hints or tips? I know you should breast-feed first, but then is there a better time of the day do to feed her? Do I just keep perservering for the next few drooly weeks and eventually she'll get it? What is the harm in feeding her fruit pureed/watered down rather than stinky rice formula?

Yes I've already fed and raised a 4.5 year old but it's rather different this time round, plus that was a LONG time ago.
    Thanx in advance.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hi Nickel, there are lots of good feeding articles in the baby section here: www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/baby
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    O
    I don't want to accidently wean her, and I don't want her to miss out on iron and nutrients etc.
    when starting solids, they get little nutrition from it. it is really just to experience, taste, explore, learn, etc.
    breastmilk has way more nutrients than any solids do!
    the 'oh no, your baby suddenly has low iron - time to supplement her' totally comes from heinz wanting you to buy their cereal
    from what ive read, its really not time to panic.

its good that you are aware of not wanting to push weaning too soon, that is one of the reasons why i chose to delay my dd's start to solids for as long as possible, amongst other things that encouraged her to breastfeed alot - such as co-sleeping, babywearing, etc.

I must admit that I've avoided giving Tallon other drinks in case he weans! hehe. He has bf's all day, together with 2-3 solid meals a day. We bought a sippy cup the other day, and will probably try him on a little bit of water or something soon. But he's remained content to just have bf's if he's thirsty

It's just that she is actually hungry - my BF isn't enough.
    We tested this by giving her a bottle after a feed one day as she was crying and she wolfed it down!
    She has started eating really well on the day she turned 6 months! We just thickened the food and added some apple puree, as I think that rice cereal smells and tastes awful especially if you are used to yummy mummy milk!

I did that for Charlie......made up the rice cereal with EBM so it was very runny, then added a dollop of apple puree......(he was around 7 months). Worked like a charm. (Up till then, all our attempts at solids just with rice cereal were just messy.)

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    It's just that she is actually hungry - my BF isn't enough.
    We tested this by giving her a bottle after a feed one day as she was crying and she wolfed it down!
    She has started eating really well on the day she turned 6 months! We just thickened the food and added some apple puree, as I think that rice cereal smells and tastes awful especially if you are used to yummy mummy milk!
    alot of people believe that breastmilk is not 'enough', when infact you will always make enough milk for your baby - there is always enough, as it is supply and demand.
    You have started the weaning process - there is a risk now that your baby will stop breastfeeding, start having only formula and too much solids...is that what you want?? you make perfect milk, are you really sure you want to start supplementing with formula since you dont need too?
    your dd may not have been really hungry to drink the formula - but it's MUCH easier to drink physically than BM, as it comes out faster. If they are not used to a bottle, the only thing to do is keep swallowing! or realise that you are overfull and shut your mouth.
    we know what milk is nutritionally superior...you can feed solids and breastfeed without resorting to formula...
    i found this on the kellymom bf website;

Delaying solids helps mom to maintain her milk supply.
    Studies have shown that for a young baby solids replace milk in a baby's diet - they do not add to baby's total intake. The more solids that baby eats, the less milk he takes from mom, and less milk taken from mom means less milk production. Babies who eat lots of solids or who start solids early tend to wean prematurely.

I'm not sure about starting the weaning process! I'm still overflowing with milk at night and waking up very wet even wearing a "booby-bib". She is used to bottles as she gets them 3 days a week, so I don't know that that was the problem. She was crying and crying until we gave her the bottle (I had tried to feed her again a few times and it was the middle of the day and my boobs were very um.. not full!) so I figured she was hungry! I have no problem with formula, I don't believe the hype, but I don't want to start the weaning process so really do appreciate the advice.

SO - BF first and then feed solids?
    What would you do in the above situation? to work out if hungry or not?

Thanks again
    Nickel

Maybe teeth??

Yeah Nic I would definately try bf first, even if she only takes a little bit, it will be something. And with her solids I would use EBM instead of water to keep those good nutrients going in. I'm having some bf issues atm and I guess what I've been doing is offering the breast, if she takes it for a few minutes & then gives up I swap sides and go again... sometimes they like the let down and actually don't like having to "work" for their food, especially when they are teething etc...

Dunno really... just some thoughts....