Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food #5

Hey ladies - I will be popping from time to time too

I started Zander on solids 10 days ago with rice cereal (allergy laden family here ) - and then he stopped poo'ing - so have stopped as of today waiting for poo ..... I think the rice cereal cos it is fortified might of given him some problems, and he wasnt all that interested anyway so no biggie yet!

My other two started no problems so I am hoping once he starts he will be fine.

Well im prob going to start alot of controversy here and say we have started trying B on some solids also! And no im not rushing her or anything - she was showing all the signs she was ready! we have tried rice cereral and potato which she absolutly loves! she has also been munching on rusks - which the 1st time we gave her one i was sitting with her -like ur suppose to do and she after a little while threw it away - i picked it up and noticed that the top bit of it was missing!!!!! she had gumed all the way thru it and the top bit was in her mouth! gave me a bit of a fright but all was okay! but my golly i cant even bite my way thru one of them!!!!

Hi .. This is my 1st time in here....

I started BJ on Farex about 2 weeks ago.. He was only 4.5 months corrected so HJ don't worry.

I have only been giving him very small amounts. 1/2tsp in the morning & 1tsp at night ( mixed with EBM).

I only started him cause DH wanted to & kept annoying me about it. Finally our GP said it would be a good idea & low & behold he took it like a champ. He is definately showing the signs now & he's definately ready for more than what I give him but I am worried he won't take as much milk. He's a bit of a fussy feeder already so I don't want to reduce his milk intake. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS???

I plan to introduce pumpkin, patatoe etc in a couple more weeks, when he's 5.5 months corrected. Once he's 6 months I would like to try BLS.

SAMI Has Z done a poo yet???

It's up to you when you start - the guidelines are changing from 6 months to 4 - 6 months - no evidence that delaying prevent allergies and intolerances later in life - so if you think your bub is ready all you can do is give her a try and see wht happens! They are all different. I waited until 6 months with DS1 and he has nut allergy, eczema, allergic to dogs blah blah, DD until 5 months and she seems fine with everything except a bit of eczema!

Zander had a huge poo last night and i didn't give him any rice cereal yesterday, so I think that did play havoc on his tummy - so am going to try again in a few days on porridge instead or swt potato - depending on what time of day I get around to feeding him with the other kids !!

Yay for the poop sami.

I decided to up BJ's morning feed. I gave him 1tsp of Farex mixed with ebm. He took it no problems at all. He would've had more if i'd offered it. I'll see how he takes his 1pm breastfeed now & hope he takes it well. Oh, I did give him a taste of my vita brits this morning, again, he took it no problem & was even asking for more. He kicks his legs & thrashes his arms when he wants more. I've been teaching him the sign language for more, just waiting for him to start using it

Georgi - thanks for the support - for some reason starting bubs on solids before 6mths i have found to be a rather touchy subject!
    what are the foods that u have tried BJ on? is it just Farex (and vita brix lol)?
    and what is your plan of attack with the solids? as in what, how much, how often etc....

Sami - thank you also! and YAY on Zander doing a poo - funny the things we get excited about isnt it!

Indie - phew on no reactions so far! thats always a bit of a worry isnt it!

Harmony I have only given him Farex. I started with 1/4tsp for 3 days, then 1/2 tsp for 3 days, then 1 tsp for 3 days then added 1/2 tsp in the morning aswell, though today I upped the anti. 1/2 tsp this morning plus 2 tsp this evening. I know, very very slow, but as i mentioned I wasn't real keen in starting him so early. I'm planning to continue with the Farex for another 2 weeks, then start him on pumpkin, patatoe & carrot. I'll keep the farex in the morning, then the veges in the evening. I will build it up to a couple of tablespoons by then. I'll do that for a couple more weeks, adding more veges. Then when he hits 6 months (corrected) I plan to do BLS, at this stage anyway. I may change my mind on that.

What is your plan of action? Gees that rusk must've given you a fright. I have some in my pantry, I know BJ will love them as he loooovvves grabbing things & chewing on them. Again I'm gonna wait till 6mths before I give him them.

Default We did it

We had our first real food. Sweet patatoe.... He did scrunch up his face a bit but seemed to like it ok. He wanted to feed himself though, grabbed the spoon & shoved it in his mouth. Oh my, there was such a mess.

He doesn't seem to want his farex anymore. That's why I thought he needed a change. He basically only had a few mouthfuls of farex this morning then refused the rest. Humf... I dunno!

Ok, I'm joining. I'm a working mom (half-day, 5 days a week) with a business I co-run with my DH during the afternoons till 22:00 at night. I have a full-time carer for my kids, dd age 27 months and ds age 6 months next week. DS was raised on store-bought food, but with ds I now have the oppertunity to give him home-cooked meals, that my carer, Kathy cooks. THANK heaven for Kathy, she is a god's send.

DS has already finished his first box of rice cereal and are now getting maize cereal for brekkie, and veggies (so far pumpkin, butternut and potato) for lunch. Nothing yet for dinner, maybe some left-over lunch, but most of the time just formula.

Now here are my questions:
    Creamed Pear and Pumpkin with cow's milk ... I can give that to him already?
    When to start with meat?
    What can I give him to chew on ... he's a chewer, big time. I wanted to give toast crusts, but that's so hard and I'm scared that he will hurt his gums.
    And yoghurt, when can I give him smooth yoghurt?

Hi girls just have a questions in regards to bfing/solids.

My DS has just turned 7 months and we had the health nurse today. She has told me to start giving DS solids before bf from now on, he has 3 meals a day.

Is this ok because i have also been told that milk/breastmilk should be the main/initial food sourse up until 12 months of age.

We currently do bfeed then solids and it works ok, sometimes he's a bit fussy but eats fairly well for a 7 month old i think.

What does everyone else think/do?

I know the recommended age to start solids is 6 months & a lot of people say their babies werent ready til later but to me DD is showing signs of being ready already...she's almost sitting on her own, she shows interest & watches us eat, when i move an empty spoon near her mouth she opens and goes to eat it...

I guess my question is should i try her on something or wait it out some more?

My bub did all those things and we started solids at 6 months - but it wasnt until she was 8 months old that things really clicked and she started swallowing food and gagging less. There is no rush, its much simpler when bub is just on milk.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123