Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any uni student/mothers out there?????

tash Guest

Default Any uni student/mothers out there?????

im about to begin studing full time for the next 4 years and would like to know how other mothers juggle there children,partners,study?????

Tash, Ambah has just finished her Uni year, I'm sure she'd love to pop in to give you some advice.

Hi Tash!
    I have just finished my first year at uni (I am doing a bachelor of Nursing). I started part time (2 subjects), then took on a 3rd subject in 2nd semester.
    Next year I am going up to the normal load of 4 subjects.
    This year I have had to have Aidyn in daycare for 2 days per week, and next year I will have to have him in for 3 days (purely because I cannot condense the timetable to fit into 2 days).
    TBH I have found it pretty stressful this year, and always get pretty snappy around exam time (poor DP) plus the housework takes a huge dive whenever I have an assignment due or study to do.
    I make it a rule that I never do any study during the hours when Aidyn is awake, as theres really just no point trying, plus I dont want it to interfere with the quality time he needs with me. So I usually never start any work until after 8pm at night, unless of course Aidyn is in daycare and I am at uni that day.
    Surprisingly although I have found it to be hard and stressful at times, I also have really enjoyed it and managed to come out with much better grades then expected. Hopefully this will help me be more confident next year so I dont feel as stressed and pressured.
    Being organised really helps... I have lost many many hours searching for and having to re-print out lectures and notes which I have carelessly misplaced, so definately try to start out organised and with a place for everything.
    Sharleens sugesstion of doing 15mins study then a break etc is a really good one, as it can get SO stressful if you let every pile up (which unfortunately is what I did both semesters - leaving all of my study until 2 weeks before the final exams!)

All the best with it! What course are you doing?

ETA: we also had a thread with studying Mums chatting a while back... it is HERE

Hi - my daughter Cait had just turned three when I went back to Uni part time at the start of last year. Part time, eight contact hours a week over two days + school placements, which, like Sharleen said are a bit tough juggling your own children. And I've only done one ! Cait went to daycare one day and my mums the other day.

There was a woman in my course who had her third baby in August, rescheduled her placement, took an extra two weeks off (five weeks on total) and was back at Uni after that ! Her husbands job enabled him to be at home when she wasn't and like Sharleen above, she would spend entire days at Uni.

I havent had to do prac yet, but I am a bit worried as I will have prac in both semesters next year. At the moment I have no idea what I am going to do with Aidyn on the days where he is not at daycare... I may have to get DP to take leave off work if he can, as I have no one else who can watch him... (both my Mum and MIL work full time).

I'll be studying next year as well!! I'm really looking forward to it!! Hopefully I won't stress too much. I'm a very organized person so that is sure to help!

Hey i just start my Bachelor of Nursing Part time this year, (did 4 subjects all together) and start again next year, 2 subjects per sem... I start uni Feb 2007 and have blob in march 2007... Soo i'm going to be doing the juggling newborn routine... Don't know how it will work out! But We'll get through it!!!

Wow Cass, let me know how you go with it all, as I am considering getting pg again at some stage, and wonder how it will work with study etc. I wouldnt have another bub until early 2008 though, and was thinking I could just drop down to one subject for that first semester after bubs is born.
    At least with your baby being born in March you will still have time to drop off a subject if you need to, before the penalties apply.
    What uni are you doing your Nursing course at?? I am at QUT.

Lea - being organised will definately help Are you planning on doing FT or PT?

I'm going to start PT and see how I go. I'd rather find I handle it easily and then pick up subjects then cave under the pressure of FT IYKWIM.

I've applied for both on and off campus but I'm hoping to get off campus!
    Last edited by Lea13; December 7th, 2006 at 09:48 AM.

im not but i just want to say good on you i wish i had the strength to do both

Ambah Will let you know how it goes... I've started studing all ready so i know most of the material we will be covering next semester, i'm thinking i'm going to be a little preoccupied with blob, so i should start now, give my self some extra time~ and i don't have any prac next year, so don't have to worry about that and managed to squeeze the classes into one day! Which is less time away from blob... i reckon its going to be difficult as i don't have a partner to help me... But the way i think of it, i not doing it just for me... it's for blob's future too
    I'm studing at Griffith - South brisbane

shannon - extremely disorganised procrastinator <... I think u described me... I'm usually the one that leaves studing and assignments till the night before (heheh an still pass) i'm trying to change my ways but we'll see

lea - Definitly get what u mean, it's much easier to go part time then full time - expecially when preg or with kids... even some of my friends whom have neither are finding it hard full time~

Take care ladies

Ha Ha... you organised girls who get things done the night before LOL. My lecturers are lucky to have my assignments the following week LOL.

I've been studying externally for a couple of years now. With bub due in early Feb I'm going to take Sem 1 off and then do one unit Sem 2 (all going to plan...) and gradually get the units done here and there.

I have friends who have done a bigger load and they have found it quite stressfull at exam times but it certainly can be done and I really admire them. I'm just lazy.

I just did a bridging course, Intensive Open Foundation, it was full time and I struggled a bit but I think I did alright.. I find out how I did on my exams on Monday. I was another of the "do it all the night before" people, but I did not do too bad with my essays.

I guess in a way at least being single meant that was one less thing to juggle, but ex did stress me out a lot and told me I was being selfish for doing it. I had a lot of trouble with Logan not sleeping much so I had to learn to function with little or no sleep some times. I also had Logan in the daycare on campus so in a way that made it easier since I don't drive and if he got sick I was only a few minutes away.

One girl in my Ancient history & culture class called me an inspiration because she said she could barely cope with the work load and she isn't a single parent so she thought I was amazing

I am hoping to get in to Early Childhood Education next year, I still don't know if I want to try to do it full time and get it over with faster or make it easier on myself and do it part time. Am I able to change to part time if I find full time too.. well, full on, does anyone know?

Hello, I completed my Diploma of Library Studies at TAFE fulltime over two years. During that time DH was away frequently (for work) so I often did a lot of juggling re hours, etc. Our family day care lady was a godsend as we had evening classes and DD was being fed, bathed, read to and tucked up in bed while I was in class learning.

In the second year, I also worked 20 hrs per week, and I found I had to be really really targeted about how I spent my study time, only investing it in those tasks that were the highest priority. This meant skipping over some of the repetitive activities once I understood the method they were demonstrating, and concentrating on those areas that I didn't yet understand.

The other thing I would like to say is: be prepared for your life to undergo a huge transformation - study opens doors and changes your life for ever! There will be moments when you are so completely tired and overwhelmed that you really have to choose to keep going, keep your eye on the prize at the end of it. Also don't be afraid to ask for extensions when you have a genuine reason, but don't abuse them either!

Good luck!

Melly01 - U sure can go down to part time, if ur not coping with Full time...

Marydean - Thanks for the luck - i'll use it!!!

Me too, me too!
    I had already started my Grad Dip Psych last year when I fell pregnant, did summer semester to catch up (was a mid-year intake) and then had to pull out of first semester this year (couldn't be pregger for the first time and be a student at the same time!). But I'm going back for first semester next year...not sure I can do the two subjects I've enrolled for, so I'll see how I go...
    I'm also doing it by distance, which will involve one weekend school per unit, but Oscar will be old enough to leave with DP.
    Might be better to hold off first semester and go back for second, if you can? Even if that means doing a summer semester to catch up, like I did. I am really glad I chose not to do second sem, because Oscar really does take my time and energy - I'd rather be present for him and all the milestones of the first 6 months, than to be half there for study and baby. Plus, for what I want to do, I need really good marks, so it wasn't worth risking it.
    Good luck with study and blob!!

I started studying for my Bachelor of Early Childhood in 1994 and I studied part time for that year. Then found out early 1995 that I was pregnant with Emma. I finished Uni in the November and she was born in Dec. I went back to Uni part time the following year (I also worked part time). When Emma was 8mths old we moved to country Vic so I studied part time externally and continued to do that through 3 moves and another baby. My XH's Mum would come and stay and look after the kids for me while I was on placement or my Nanna and Granddad would come. I seperated at the end of 1999 and put my placement for the end of that semester on hold until school started again the following year and I had moved back to Adelaide and got settled. I was lucky enough to find a place close to Uni and studied full time for 2000 and completed my degree. The kids went to day care and because I was studying full time and on my own I got JET payments for day care which meant that I only had to pay $4 a day or something like that. I managed to work my timetable (being a single parent meant I go the pick of tutorials etc) into 4 days which meant that the kids were at home with me on Fridays. I got through most of the subjects at Uni with credits and p1's until my final year where I got mostly distinctions and credits. I always left everything to the last minute and remember one day where I took in my file of quotes form articles that I had typed out at home and in 2 hours (just in time to get it in!!) I completed a 5000 word essay but just putting sentences between quotes!!!

It can be done and does require some juggling. I don't think my kids suffered any ... they were both young and didn't know any different ... full time day care when I was on pracs didn't hurt them any ... it was only for a few weeks! If it means getting the prac done and not then do you really have a choice?

I am planning on going back to Uni to get my Masters in Educational Leadership when Asha is full time at school ... 2009 or 2010!

Cheers

I'm a 3rd year uni student. I'm not sure how I am going to go but I have my fingers crossed I'm doing 3 subjects distance education so here's hoping. I plan on doing two degrees I think now is a good time to have kids as by the time I'm finished they will be near starting school and I can start my career and it gives me the chance to be the stay at home mum I always wanted to be.

Best of luck with everything, just make sure you schedule some YOU time in there as well, DP and I are making a commitment to have one weekend a month for just ourselves and I plan on having at least one day a fortnight that is just for ME, probably sounds a bit selfish but I think it'll be good for everyones health :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast