Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studying mummies

Default Studying mummies

Hello everyone,

Would anyone like to share their experiences of studying while being a mummy?

Thanks

Hi Queenie!
    I have a 2yo son, and I started my Bachelor of Nursing at the beginning of this year.
    I only started PT (2 subjects), but I am picking up a 3rd subject from the start of next semester.
    Aidyn is in daycare 2 days a week, which works out really well because he loves it there and I think it makes his weeks more interesting/stimulating too.
    I have found studying challenging, but really good/interesting too.
    1st semester is over for me now, so I am now on a months holiday, yay!

Are you studying? Or are you thinking about it?

cazoraz Guest

I have been studying full time whilst having both my kids. I am a few months off finishing my double degree, bachelor of Arts/bachelor of Education (sec.) It has been very challenging to organise my time to include ME time for homework, but also rewarding as uni is so flexible and I got to still be a SAHM.

I have 2 kids, Lucy almost 3 and Coleman almost 1, and for the most part it worked. Last semester last year Cole was only 2wks old so he came with me to my classes (only 3hrs on a wednesday - i had planned it specifically this way) and he was fantastic, slept during the class, woke up to be fed halfway through then slept again! Made my life easy, especially as he is breastfed.

The main thing is to be really organised and try to force yourself to have homework time and not get distracted by everything else (including forums....WHOOPS!)

Good luck
    xxxCaz

I agree that homework time is necessary... although I cant say I have been very good at it!
    I am hopeless at keeping myself off BB, and off the phone, etc, etc.
    When its exam/assignment time I usually pull my head in and devote every spare minute to studying etc in the couple of weeks leading up to it... seems to have worked well so far!

mummymeegs Guest

I am planning to return to uni to study dentistry full time next year (if I pass UMAT of course!!!) Bub will be 4 months and my DS 5 years by the time I start. I must admit I am very apprehensive taking on a 5 year course! I too would love to hear about some other experiences!! Before it is too late for me to backout!!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I am hoping to start studying next year or the year after. I'd love to next year, but my son got booted out of occasional care this year as he was too upset / time demanding (wanted lots of cuddles), so I don't see that changing in 6 months. I just don't know if I should risk it and I am quite happy to be here if he needs me.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Sal Guest

I'm looking to do my honours year next year, probably part-time. Well, that is if I don't fall pg with #2 before then (which is what I really want). I too am apprehensive about returning to study with a bub - I know lots of women do it, but I feel they must be superwomen or something

I can't talk from experience (PG with first and finish Uni this year if all goes well) but one of my best friends is doing nursing and has twins. She started Uni when the girls were about 3 months old. Nic managed really well for the first two years with help from her DH and friends. But half way through 2nd year decided to move back to SA so her family could help her out as she was finding it hard with the girls and full time Uni. She's now studying part time and her family help her out with the girls (who are almost 3 - where does the time go?). Nic always told me the trick was just to balance it all and work out what was important. We study by distance ed so it's a bit different I guess but she did her Uni work when the girls were asleep or out. DH looked after the girls when he got home so she could cook but he helped with cooking and cleaning too. Nic has always done really well, I don't think she's gotten below a credit for anything. So it can be done, you just need to try and balance it out. And don't be afraid to call on friends and family to help out!

Good luck with your decision!

MG

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

My course isn't available part time *cry*
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

tiggy Guest

I studied when my first set of twins were born. I finished my nursing degree. I did two years full time and when they were 8 months old went back for the third year part time. I also accessed SUmmer School to get some of the subjects out of the way.
    When the twins were three I did my midwifery, Lily was 1. I had no choice but to do it full time (it was only offered that way.). That was HARD. Having said that, I did it. It's just learning to juggle things and prioritise.

Has anyone studied during their pregnancies? I just re-enrolled today in the last semester of a part time TAFE course. DH is not too happy about me re-enrolling as I am currently 15 weeks pregnant, working fulltime, studying parttime and looking after the house, hubby and two young teens (I'm a bit of an overachiever if you hadn't guessed already). The final exam will be in my 38th week, but if things work out well I will only have one exam.

Apart from the missing exams if bubs comes early, I think I will be OK as I will be on maternity leave from week 30 onwards anyway and will be bored sitting at home waiting for bubs to arrive (not to mention stressing about the birth - that has GOT to hurt something cronic! lol).

What do you guys think? I don't know what to expect as this is my first pregnancy - is DH right that I am taking too much on?

Babydust, my hubby saya the same about me. I'm in my final year at Uni which involves a 6 week placement, I work part time, volunteer with the local fire brigade and have house duties too. I think the trick is to know when to stop, don't be afraid to ask for extensions on work or defer exams, and be able to accept that sometimes we need help. And as my best friend keeps telling me "You only need to pass". Good luck with your TAFE course.

MG

Thanks MG!
    Yeah, that's that I was thinking, and I can always stop at anytime, TAFE is pretty flexible in that way.

lol, I can imagine the teachers will likely be pretty agreeable to being flexible if I turned up with my then big preggie belly nearly ready to explode!

Good luck at uni, MG!

I just applied for Intensive Open Foundation at Uni that starts on 17th of July. I am just beginning to think 'OMG What have I done?' LOL I haven't done any study since I dropped out of high school 7 years ago, so it's all a bit daunting, but exciting at the same time.

Now I just have to find childcare for Logan.

So what courses are you all doing/applying for??

Like you Ambah, I am doing Bachelor of Nursing. And I am so glad this is my last year, I can't wait to actually start nursing!

MG

cazoraz Guest

I'm doing Bacehlor of Arts/Bachelor of Educatin (Secondary) its a double degree I've been doing over 4yrs and this is my last year! WOOHOO!

btw, I have NEVER come across a lecturer or teacher that hasnt been flexible and accepting of me being hugely pregnant or having newborn babies with me at uni. Cole came to my Ed. classes last semester from 2wks-12wks of age, and he was great, and my teacher loved it! She called him our class mascot

Hi - I started a Bachelor of Teaching at the start of 2005 part time - and found out I was pregnant about a month into it ! I did a three week placement in a primary school when I was about six months and it went fine. Cait was 3.5 at the time - she had a week 'holiday' at my inlaws in the (almost) country and two weeks shared between child care, my mums and a friends mum. I think it was harder on her than me. Nick was also working nights at that time so I hardly saw him during those three weeks.

I have taken this year off - didn't fancy working part time, studying and having a new born and pre schooler. Will go back next year when Cait is in prep and Alex is about 15 months old. Classes last year were two half days a week which was great.

I got into my first choice for Uni and I cried - my sister is a teacher and all I heard from her for six months prior was about all the people she knew who had missed out on the course at Deakin. I never thought I'd get in and joked that I must have been the only one who chose commerce as their secondary method ! I'm excited about a career change even if I will be 39 when I finish !

It is a four year part time course

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast