Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you classify as a "young mum"?

Hmmm, good question?

I guess to me a young mum might be someone under 25?

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post

Having said that i must say i'm absolutely disgusted when i hear of 13 year olds having babies....to me that is a baby having a baby.

It's probably not 'ideal' for a 13/14 year old to get pg but there's worse things they could do than get pregnant. Our bodies are made to conceive from around 13 (Mine wasn't though!) We need to make sure as a society we support all Mum's regardless of age. A mum is a mum.

I remember being frowned at when as a 14 year old I would push my baby sister in her pram and people thought she was mine. It was quite entertaining actually!

Ash, yes you make perfect sense. I think it's great when young women feel they are ready to have children and still have plenty of time for all the things they wish for in life after/while they have children because they are so young and have plenty of time and energy. (me feeling old here..)
    Last edited by Mrs Jak; November 23rd, 2007 at 01:22 AM.

[QUOTE=Ella's Mum;1020765 Our bodies are made to conceive from around 13(Mine wasn't though!)QUOTE]

My body was "ready" at 10 years old. I got my periods at school in Year 5!!! My body might have been ready but, mentally, i certainly was'nt!!!
    Last edited by Ilithyia; November 23rd, 2007 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ashnant View Post
    I guess it is clear that everyone has different views, i consider myself young, but obviously its also drilled into you that if it's not the norm then it's one or the other... i feel that i am ready to raise a child, if i did not think i was capable of this task i would have terminated the pregnancy or considered adoption, so i do not feel that i need to justify my age.

Ive spent three years out of home, ive partied, ive wasted money, ive had amazing times, and as for work...i am not interested in a high powered career, i want to be a mum. that has always been the the number one for 'ambitions, aspirations and dreams'... so i am not shy of embracing the opportunity that has come to me, whilst a little less prepared and a little earlier than i would have liked, our jellybean is also a 'welcome surprise'.
    Of course i still want the opportunity to finish uni and to be able to work to support my family, but i feel there is nothing more special than bringing a human life into this world, and i am prepared and set up to do so, so i feel that i am old enough... I have pg scatterbrain so i hope this makes sense :P
    It made perfect sense! I couldn't have put it any better. No-one young or old should have to justify their age or decisions. It's our body and life and it's our choice, we live with the consiquences of having beautiful children!!!!!

We need to make sure as a society we support all Mum's regardless of age. A mum is a mum.
    Ella's mum, I tend to agree, whilsty it isn't ideal it is the decision they have made

Just thought i'd add this fact, i was reading in the Melbourne MX today (for those of you that are not familiar it's basically just a tabloid 20 page print for commuters of an evening) the average age for first time mum's these days, is 29.8 years. I'm about to make a follow up thread about the article as well, some of you might be interested, im not sure where to post it yet though.

I went shopping with my Aunt today, and i told her about my friend who is 8 weeks pregnant with twins. My Aunt's reply was oh no. I said she's really happy, and in a stable relationship so why not? My Aunt said but she's so young, my friend is 22, she'll turn 23 just after bubs are born. Anyway when we got to the checkout there were these two girls there admiring Brendan and 1 said ooo I can't wait to have kids (she would've been 18ish), and the other said nah i'm waiting till i'm 28 or so(also about 18ish). I thought this was very interesting and I said to the girls, Age doesn't matter as long as you are in a stable realtionship and are 100% sure in what you want. My Aunt happened to disagree and said ooh noo even 24 is too young, you don't know what you want at that age. My Aunt had her baby last year at 34, she struggled so much because she was so set in a routine and a baby had come along a messed it up. My point is, that if we were not meant to be mum's at 18, 20, even 24, then we wouldn't get our period would we???????

oops hadn't quite finished, my point was that age doesn't matter as long as we do our job as mummy.

Sally, im replying to your most recent post here, but in our young mums thread...

im now 23, i had just turned 22 when i had my boy and i got put into a young mum under 25 i hated it.
    i just hate the stares you get from the older people.

im glad to be a young mum

A young mum these days is 25 and under really. Maybe even under 30. I like being a young mum!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123