Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for knitters to help knit for kids

Have been MIA for a few days, this thread has grown WOW thats great, I am still happy to be a part of this and will try so so hard to make a good square as I am only a novice knitter LOL, IMO and I dont know what others may think but I love the idea of the blanket being made by the BB gals and not just sent off to the salvos dukwim, obviously both ideas are wonderful and the end result is the same so either way will be fine by me, I guess as I said I just love the thought of doing this with BB girls and donating it, we have many talented ladies here and I think we can make something gorgeous.
    But this is just my opinion ofcourse and yeah I will be fine which ever way is majority rules.

That is true Amy, it would be so nice to do a whole blanket from BB wouldn't it.

yeah Christine I just think it would make it so much more special and personel too.

I just love this idea its such a lovely one thats for sure.

pebbles2820 Guest

I don't mind either. I am already 1/3 of the way into my first square, got my life must be boring(he he). I just get a bit carried away sometimes.

pebbles2820 Guest

I think we're doing 20cm squares and that is 44 stitches, 60rows with 8ply on 4mm needles.

Excellent - found my project for this weekend.

Will await further instructions on what we finally decide to do with them all

arrgghh Nessa how frustrating, I am as new to this as you I am going by a how to knit book LOL thats how new I am hehehehe so I have no idea sorry,

okay I am going to start this tonight if I get time I have some lovely blue/grey coloured wool hope thats okay? I also wanted to confirm are we doing 10cm or 20cm just so I can make sure I do the right one LOL cause that would be no good if I did it all wrong.

will check back later for an answer

ETA also who is a good sewer here that we can send the peices to? if thats the way we choose to go and not the salvos????
    Last edited by *Elle*; May 4th, 2007 at 05:34 PM.

pebbles2820 Guest

I've already started 20cm and I think it will be easier(not so many squares to sew together at the end).

WOW Its so good to see so many of you interested.

We will do a blanket made by us BB girls and then donate it.

The squares need to be 20x20cm Its OK if you are using 4.5mm needles but that should be the limit just remember to measure it and make sure its 20x20cm

Would anyone like to volunteer to sew the final project together? If not I will do this.

So if you would like to get started that would be great. Thanks Ladies I am looking forward to the end result. Remember do as many square as you like and have fun.

I will start knitting tonight, my DDs will do some too, its pretty easy- if I can teach Yr6 boys to knit anyone can!!!(admitedly some of our blanket was a little holey!)
    ETA Can't sew for peanuts so won't volunteer for that job!

I would love to join in, after i have finished some curtains I have to sew! sorry to be technical but are we just doing rows of plain or are we doing plain and pearl, like you would in a jumper? I think blankets are just plain knitting (soory if someone already said this but I skipped over a few posts a bit quickly)

ahhh great its all sorted then, I am so NOT a sewer so I deffinately wont put my hand up for that job LOL,
    Anney it wil be great to have you join in the more the merrier I think, this is so wonderful I am getting really excited now. I think with the plain and pearl maybe leave it plain as I dont know how to do pearl hahahahaha novice here sorry, I wonder what it would look like if some are pearl/regular and some are plain regular hmmmm just a thought.

Welcome Anney feel free to do what ever stich you like as long as it stays within 20x20cm. Personally I confuse myself when I start changing stiches so I will be knitting a plain stich. Nessa when I first started knitting I worn a rubber thimbal on my index finger to help with the sore fingers or if you can't find these maybe try a bandaid. You will adventually get over the soreness as you fingers build up a hardness to them.

thanks girls, probably won't matter if the stitches are different as they will be all different colours and textures probably too. Might start mine and do it on the train on the way to work. On the sewing up thing, it could also be crocheted together but you would see the wool and the stitches being used to sew it but I guess you would see that with sewing too as it would be impossible to match all the colours. I could do the crocheting together if you wanted it done that way.

pebbles2820 Guest

Sorry girls, need to amend number of rows. Stitches is still 44 but rows would need to be between 86 and 92 depending on tightness of stitches. Figured this out last night when I reached 60 rows and it was no were near 20cm(dam ball wrapper lied to me). As you can tell I'm really excited about this, making something with all of you, I've never done anything like this before. I agree with Annie(BTW, welcome) and spunkymonkeys, go with the stitches you feel comfy with because it's going to be a patchwork of lots of different work.

When we did the one at school, I just taught the kids plain stitch but some of the mums did some squares too and they did some fancier stitching to spell out the intials of the school in some squares.

They made it part of the pattern some how, not sure how!

pebbles2820 Guest

You've got to start somewhere Nessa, I taught myself from a book. A good starter book is Style Your Own Kids Knits(has 2 different and easy beaie patterns and a really great magazine is creative knitting(quarterly at newsagent).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast