Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Houses

Thanks Yvette for that! Just interested as we are miles from the city and if we ever do move we would rent our place out and buy/rent something else. Just wanted a comparison on rents. I think we could prob get $400 pw for ours, 6 bdr and a study, rumpus, ensuite, entertainment area.

Not that we will be doing that for about 8yrs. i need to be working and Jordan needs to finish yr 11-12 bf we would consider it. Which is fine cos we can keep pluggin away at the mortgage then.

Cheers Michelle

Yvette just a little heads up, pakenham ( which of course I live in) has quite decent schools, coz we are on the "outer" we are still a bit country, shopping and everything is fine, but our attitudes, are fairly country, despite the fact that we are growing, nearly everyone is friendly and laid back. There is a private school here (beaconhills) its not a drop dead expensive one, but there is also a decent high school, and 3 primary schools, all of which I haven't heard anything bad about. If you ever want to come out for a gander let me know, we can show you around!!

*Yvette* Guest

Thanks Vanita, I've been going to ask you about the area. We haven't mentioned what we're thinking to the kids incase we can't do it, or decide not to, so we want to go start looking as soon as they're back at school. We'd absolutely love it if you showed us around & it would be lovely to meet you. Will PM you.

Michelle, your place sounds like a mansion, lol. The advantage of space being out of town. Where are you thinking of moving to?

Yvette- lol at the amnsion. It is only about 25sqs, we have a tiny annoying lounge and 3 of the bedrooms are small as is the study. But it is way too big to keep clean.LOL Or that's my excuse. I guess I am thinking down the track of just moving somewhere else, just to experience something different. I don't really like suburbia,. hate the neighbours either side. We do have neighbours but the way we are situated we can only see one neighbours byard and visa versa. So we wouldn't really want to move to suburbia! I have been in Kilmore for the last16yrs and at some stage I would like a change I guess. Maybe even interstate for awhile! Now that's a daunting thought.
    Cheers mcihelle

*Yvette* Guest

Interstate! We'd nick off to Qld in a flash if we didn't have the kids to consider. If nothing else, the XHs would have me in court in a flash (well one of them would, the other might consider bringing his family up there too, hmmm.....) I'd love to live somewhere warm with a little land around me and lots of animals & water.....

But even if we went when the kids are grown up, I'd have to make sure they all visited us several times a year (all of them!) and we'd have to come to Melb several times a year also for sanity reasons (I picture myself going to the opera, a restaurant binge, shopping)...

Lotto ticket soon...?

I am not sure i could live in QLD, with the heat and humidity. I like summer but it always seems too long. And kilmore is actually one cold place in winter. Maybe when I get old and my heat receptors don't work anymore I won't mind, but the hardest thing is not being near the family. that is what keeps us here, so saying, living in the same town as both sets of parents can have it's disadvantages, but as they are our babysitters it is convenient too.

Cheers Michelle

Yeah QLD and its heat are not for me either, we live 5 mins from my family, and 45 mins from his (still too close LOL) and don't know if I could move tooo far away, they are great for support hey!!!

*Yvette* Guest

Keen, if you're there, yoo hoo, Keen.....

I was just reading this again & noticed you talking about a 5 bedroom house. We've been looking at display homes & it seems like a difficult & expensive thing to get that extra bedroom, & we've been wondering, is it a lot more expensive to get a builder to use your own plans rather than the standard ones they have for mass producing?

i come from a very large family
    6 brothers and 3 sisters myself and our parents (so 12 all up).

mum and dad had a dormetary type place out the back that 5 of the boys slept in in beds in a row - it was very long (fun to jump on though from bed to bed!). then two sisters and I shared a room, another sister had a room to herself as did eldest brother and of course mum and dad had their room. our house was enourmous and VERY LOUD!!!!!!

my house now has four bedrooms and a study just enough for the boys to have a room each and plenty of space for playing and entertaining, it is really quite big too but only has a almost half the people!

love beckles

Yvette,

Unfortunately it is a fair bit more expensive to have a builder and use your own plans. Sometimes if you can find one with a study in a good spot, you can simply enlargen that room and make it into another bedroom. Hope that helps.

Keen

*Yvette* Guest

Wow Beckles, that's more than my mum's family of 9. I only have one brother. I bet Christmas & birthdays are big with your family.

Thanks Keen. Looks like we'll be renting til we win lotto. Someone's just sent us one of those dodgy 'you're a winner' emails again. If only. I'll keep drawing up my dream house plans and dreaming.

Well i am currently renting a 3 bedroom house that just isnt big enough for all of us!!! I am having problems with my 6yr old and the lady i seeat the parenting centre suggested that it might be partly because we are all on top of one another basically....
    I have the two older girls in the one room,with a single bed and a set of bunks in there and i have the 3 year old in her own room still in her cot...
    Dominic is still in Dh and i's room as he is still waking 2-4 times a night....
    I have a friend of mine who is waiting for her hubby to find out if he has got a job in the NT or somewhere like that,and if he gets it (he goes for the interview on Monday) they will be renting out their house here,so i have asked for first chance at it....
    It will be a double edged sword with her moving that far away and all,but the house is great...They have only just laid carpet and it has the choice of a fire or a heatpump that they will install before they leave...It has three big bedrooms and a little bedroom /study off the main one,that would be great for Dommie....
    They have just put a new kitchen in it and the bathroom has a seperate shower and bath and the whole house is just so much more spacier than mine....
    Sooo,anyway i see i have gone on a bit about it,but last night i was sending in a competition entry that i got off a locally baked loaf of bread,and the message came back that i have won a Kodak $300 camera,so i have to hope my luck is changing a bit and that i wont have to live so cramped forever....
    anyhow....Sorry for the epic!!!

Susie it must be hard all cramped up, but in the old days LOL they used to have like 6 kids in 1 room. How would that have been? I know I wouldn't have coped. Arron says that all our kids have to have their own room, so I guess we won't be moving cos not many places have 5 brooms and a study and a rumpus LOL. Hope the friends house works out for you and great news on the camera. Don't they come in 3's?

Cheers Michelle

*Yvette* Guest

My older girls were happy sharing a room when they were younger, they actually preferred it, but I think I'd have problems getting them to share now, and it would have to be a big room. They each have a desk, a computer, 2 sets of drawers & a bookcase. The twins will definately be sharing, but we still need a 5 bedroom house. I'm a bit worried, because the few I've seen around here are pretty expensive. I had the girls in bunks once, but I found it such a pain to change the sheets, and there's no bedside table up the top. We do have way too much stuff though. I think with big families living space is probably more important than everyone having their own room, but the kids do like having their own desk & shelves. We could save space though if there were shelves above their desk, like a hutch sort of thing. Waffle waffle waffle.....

With me,as you know the twins wouldnt be separated even if we had the rooms ( I'd just have a craft room,LOL) But I was looking in a real estates window this morning and it was $520,000 for a 6 B'room and study in Berwick and I said to DH , well why dont we go buy that one??? LOL Geeze do I wish!! yeah we need a 5 Broom, but would loooove a stduy too!!!! Dream on McDuff.

Yeah well they are anywhere from $250,000 over here to buy a nice 4-5 bedroom letalone a 5-6 bedroom with a study!!! I can only dream about having a large enough house to maybe have one more child!!!
    I know!!! Michelle,my next door neighbor has four kids,and now he is with a woman who has 2 kids herself,and they have all moved into a three bedroom house together,so i dont know how they are coping!!!!
    i couldnt do it with 6 kids in one room either....
    Really i am happy that we have a house at all,because there are a lot of families here on the waiting list for housing comission and stuff like that,and i know that they are really wanting somewhere to live...
    Our living room and kitchen are so tiny,and i think that is what gets me so much,because i cant even move without tripping over one of the kids half the time....
    i have enough trouble with two older girls sharing a room at the moment without any more in the same room....

If only money wasn't an option in the list of worries!

In Kilmore we could prob get a almost big enough house for 450,000, but we couldn't afford that on 1 wage. That's why we are lucky we got the house we did and extended it cos now we are set to make at least 4 times what we paid originally. We got this place for less than the people pd to build it cos they just couldn't sell.

Yvette- bunks are the pits to make, I slept in bunks as a kid and hated trying to make the bed and also changing sheets.

Susie- how funny at your neighbour, a nuclear family would fight enough being so cramped, but imagine how a blended family go, mine fight enough and they are blood relo's IYKWIM!

The most improtant thing is to have a roof over your head though, esp in this crappy weather so we all have to be satisfied with what we can sfford I guess. I like my house, of course there are always things that could be changed but....takes time, we'll get there.
    Cheers Michelle

Ellibam Guest

we are planning on extending our house( at least double) its a 3/4 bedroom house with 1 bathroom,
    But we want our future bubs to have there own rooms so it will have to be at least 5 b/r plus a study and a sewing room plus another 2 bathrooms
    we were thinking about knocking our house down and rebuilding but have realised we could do more budget wise if we extend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast