Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Houses

Default Houses

How many rooms do you have? Do your kids share a room? How do they find it? My gf has 3 kids and her two girls share a room and I think its great, they are definitely more close because of it IMO. I think if we have 3 (maybe even if we had 2 girls) I would let them share a room.

*hugs*
    Cailin

We have a 3 bedroom house, although one of them is tiny and we use it as a study. If we were to have another boy, then we would put him in to share with Aidyn. If it is a girl though, we might give her the study as her own room... not sure on that yet. And if we have more than 2, then there will definately be some sharing going on!

Growing up in my family of seven - (5 girls and 2 parents), We moved into a 3 bedroom house, my parents had one room, the 2 eldest girls shared one, and the 3 youngest shared another.
    Then a few years later my parents built in under the house another bedroom, bathroom and rumpus, and moved down there, so us girls had a bit more space to spread out.
    I didn't really mind sharing (though I was always jealous when one of my older sisters got her own room) and I think we were all really close as a result.

We are in the process of moving to another 3 bedroomed house, but even just if we stick at 2 kids, I'd like to be greedy & have 4 bedrooms when we buy in Adelaide.....one for us, one for each child, one study/spare-room.

Having said that, like Ambah, I am from a family of 7 (2 parents, 5 kids (3 boys, 2 girls) and we always managed werever we lived. We once livied in a 2 bedroomed beach holiday shack thing (in the middle of winter as a short term rental!) with the 3 boys in bunk beds/camp beds in the sleepout, me and my sister in bunk beds in the tiny second bedroom & my parents in the main bedroom. Chaos, but as kids we thought it was great!

I remember being SO excited though, when I finally got my own room when I was about 10 (when my older brothers and sister left home for uni etc).........I just thought it was heaven!

We have 3 bedrooms. If we gone on to have another baby after this one then the kids would have to share.

We are looking in to one day building a unit in the garden for guest and the kids to use when they get older unless we could afford to move to a bigger house.

We have 2 very large bedrooms at the moment, Mark and I in one and Marks two boys in the other when we have them so it doesn`t leave any room for bubs, so he`ll have to be in our room for a while.

We are extending onto our house and our plans have been approved, we`re adding another 4 more bedrooms making a total of 6 bedrooms.

At this stage I`m thinking of having 4 children of my own so with Mark`s two boys we`re going to need all the bedrooms we can get.

Take Care

Deeanne

Well hopefully I can get this baby-making business hapening soon. The home we have designed to start building in the next few years is a 5 bedroom (+ study), 3 bathroom home, so really hope we get some chickadees to fill it - otherwise we will have an empty house and I cant think of anything worse!

Keen

caroline Guest

We have 5 children 14 year old boy in his own room, 12 year old girl in her own room, 3 and 2 year old boys sharing room girl 10months own room. DH and I own room. plus a rumpus for all toys and 2 bathrooms. I love this house. Problem is it is a rental and now for sale. We are not in the position to buy and I hope no one else is either as I don't want to move into something too small again. We were in a three bedroom house with 2 teenagers in own rooms, dh, me and 3 children in one room. (not fun!!!!). so we need to win a lot of money or hope no one wants to but this one.

tiggy Guest

We have a six bedroom house, although one of them is being used as a study at present (hopefully will be a nursery one day).
    Each of the girls have their own room and the two boys that I foster room in together. It still feels squeezy to me, I am trying to talk DH into extensions!

I am from a family of 6. My older brother and sister both had a room of their own and both myself and my younger sister shared a room. We loved it. When my brother moved out we could have gone into our own rooms but it was about a year after that we finally decided to have our own rooms. By that stage I was 11/12 and my sister was 9/10.

Clare

I would really love a house with 5 bedrooms and a study. 3 bathrooms would be great but we could live with 2. I would love a games room, a lounge room, a media room and a meals area (no dining room!!) I also need a storage room inside (when we had plans to build a long time ago we looked at converting the dining room in the plans to a storage room) but we also only had 2 kids living with us then.

My kids all have their own rooms and that is how I plan to keep it. So 5 bedrooms would be like this ...

Bed 1 Me & Ryan
    Bed 2 Em
    Bed 3 Jack
    Bed 4 Asha
    Bed 5 Guest room (Sian or Bree)
    Study (with sofa bed for Sian or Bree)

Cheers

we currently own a 3 b'room house, but with # 4 coming would like to build something bigger. The twins are in bunks together, but being identical they have a lot of :"issues" with identity ao I would love to be able to offer them their own rooms by the time they are teenragers!!!, DD#3 currently has own room but #4 will be joining her when born. #4 is a boy to be so we figure we have 5 years approx to get ourselves sorted out, and either extend or build. Would ideally like a room for each child (of course ) but will survive with what we have. when twins were born we were renting a 2 b'room 9 square "shed" n all survived!!!!
    ATM the twins would not seperate anyway, (thats a threat if they are misbehaving) and most of the time end up in bed together anyway!!!

Melinda Guest

We own a 4 bedroom house, which has 2 bathrooms (one is also a laundry), a living/dining room and large lounge room. The lounge room was originally 2 separate rooms. One of the bedrooms is also used as a study. We are only planning on having 2 children, so they will each have their own room. If we change our minds, we can always relocate the computer etc into the living area which is quite spacious, so that there is a third room available for another child, or we could always turn the lounge room back into 2 separate rooms!! Or we could simply build on as there is definitely potential for that here.......

Well we extended a rumpus on first as we had 3 br and only 2 kids, then we decided we needed the extra br for no.3 so we lost 1 br to gain 2, then with no.4 on the way we made the rumpus bigger and put 2 br in the front. So now we have 6 br and a walkthrough study plus a rumpus.

I shared with my sis until I was 13, finally got my own room and my parents moved, so back to sharing. DH shared with his brother his whole life, and he was adament that all kids have their own rooms, secretly I think he just likes renovating!LOL.

Reading this it seems there are a few 6 br houses, our prob of course is if we did want to move we wouldn't buy something smaller, so it makes it hard to find something suitable.

Cheers Michelle

We are currently in a 4 bedroom house with LOTS of living area and I don't think I could handle going down LOL! I would want to go up. But having said that I think there's plenty of room for 3 kids so far. I just have to cook 2 more

*hugs*
    Cailin

I was interested to see how many houses were around with 5 bedrooms or more (for sale) and did a search at domain and there were 137 scattered around melb/vic for sale right now. The biggest problem is once you have a big house going small is very hard. As a kid my dad extended our house to 25sqs then sold and we moved into a 10.5sq house, not good, but the reason for the move was the 5acres of land the house was on. Eventaully dad extended that house too to be 4 bedrroms but by then I had Jordan and had to share a room with her. lOL I never did get a room of my own for very long. And now I have to share with Arron... HMm, was my sister as bad as him I wonder.
    Cheers Michelle

*Yvette* Guest

We're currently renting a 4 bedroom house. The two eldest girls have their own rooms, but one of them is tiny, and Angus is in his own room now, but will have to share it with the twin girls when they're about 5-6 months old & we kick them out of our room. Our lease runs out next April anyway, so from here we'll be looking for a 5 bedroom to rent, & have the twins keep sharing for a while.
    I had the girls sharing a room when Ruth was a baby and again about 3 years ago, and they were fine with it (4 year age difference). They do argue, but sharing a room didn't make any difference. I don't think we'd go too well with them sharing now though, with the eldest being 12.

If we ever get to have our own place we'd prolly have to go 2 story to fit enough bedrooms on the small blocks you get these days.

Yvette- just a question about rental prices, I don't need exact, just wondering on round figures approx for rent on 4 bdr and 5 bdr houses?
    Thanks Michelle

*Yvette* Guest

We pay $250 pw for this dog box Michelle, but prices around here are about $280 to $350 for 4-5 bedrooms, depending on how grotty the house is. There are some nice new places $400 & up. To buy here is $400,000 plus for an old house that needs work. We're considering going to Pakenham to afford a new place of our own, but I'd have to get my head around going back on my decision to stay here, & make sure the schools are good enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast