thread: Sleepovers.

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

Dp said depends on the friend but wouldn't have any issues with a male friend sleeping over until the start of high school.

Dp says the dad has to grow up and rolled his eyes!

May 2007

I think it is a little weird too Astrolady!
    i wouldnt be comfortable with my kids around that dad is he is thinking provocatively regarding children as well, big sign to me!

My daughter had a sleep over at our house for her 4th birthday (just a girl friend) althought we would have been happy for her little brother who was friends with DS to stay as well, but her parents thought he was a little young and would be upset.
    We sent photos and skyped her friends parents through the night, and they came over for coffee in the morning.

i would have onlly let my children stay if i knew the parents and house well though

Add CKJ on Facebook

Dec 2011
    Central Coast NSW

I just asked my ex (DD's father) and he is fine with it at this age. Quite often he stays at friends houses and my DD actually asks to sleep in with the boys (who are 2 and 4 years older than her)

I think the dad completely overreacted especially when he had been privvy to the planning

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.
    Add Sunny Love on Facebook

Apr 2009
    In a place where Love is what we breathe!

Did the dad act like a bit of a toss-pot = yep. As a PP mentioned he should've checked with his Mrs first.
    Going against the grain here on the subject matter though, DP and I wouldn't be comfortable with mixed-sex sleep-overs above the age of five. That is a very black and white decision for us in our home.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber
    Add Schmickers on Facebook

Jan 2006
    Port Macquarie, NSW

I can't say I'd have an issue with it at this age. Seems like a easier over the top reaction.

(sent from my mobile)

Dec 2006
    Melbourne

I asked dh and some friends who were over last night, none of us had an issue with it, and it may crop up for us as dd2's bestie at kinder is a boy and they will be going to the same school. They just play games and want to be around each other as much as possible, it's so cute.

Jul 2009

I asked my DP. He said he wouldn't feel comfortable with it. After I questioned him more it became pretty clear he wouldn't be comfortable with ANY sleepovers. Maybe that is this Dads deal?? Not so comfortable with having other kids over night?

Nov 2008
    Melbourne, VIC

My DH wouldn't care, neither would I though.

They're kids, it's fine! I slept in the same bed as my cousins/brothers/friends for ages when we were doing "sleep overs". Doesn't mean anything untoward happened.

Why the difference for same/opposite sex sleepovers - what if you allow your DD to have lots of sleepovers with girls but not boys, then it turns out she's interested in girls in the long run. All that stress for nothing.

I loved sleepovers. They were awesome.

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.
    Add Sunny Love on Facebook

Apr 2009
    In a place where Love is what we breathe!

This father, although his reaction was OTT, has a viewpoint/opinion/stance on sleepovers in regards to his children that should be allowed and respected. His views/wishes shouldn't face such wrath, and really shouldn't be judged by any of us.

FWIW, I loved sleepovers too, but that changed for me sadly.

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2005

yeah, i wouldnt want my child to do sleepovers with any gender at the moment and its only due to her age. she will be 6 this year. maybe thats what the dad meant but it came across as a gender thing?

Jun 2009

I know it's an old thread but I found it interesting...

Maybe I'm overprotective or really controlling but I don't like the idea of sleepovers full stop. It's hard, coz I loved them as a kid, but I guess I feel that they are an unnecessary risk. 99 times out of 100 (or even 999 times out of 1000) I'm sure nothing would happen, but I wonder if the risk of something untoward happening that would profoundly affect my child is just too high?

I'm still undecided and DS too young to go anywhere other than grandparents. So maybe my mind will change.

Am interested to know why others are ok with it?

Jul 2009

Surprised - when I was about six I had a sleepover at my best friends house. My mum had to pick me up after dinner because I was upset and insisted I be taken home. A few months later her mum left the dad because he was abusive and they had to basically flee to a woman's shelter. God knows what I saw or heard that made me want my mum (mum says I told her he tried to make me clean my friends room and I was having none of that)

I honestly think sleepovers will be torture for me... I am going to be the freaky mum with a contract and a nanny can in DDs bag! Lol