Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much garbage do you end up with each week?

I was talking about this with DH actually tonight while cooking dinner!! It seems we fill up our 'regular waste' bin VERY quickly by the end of the week and it's almost always full by say day 5!! I feel so bad and I wonder how bad it would be if we did disposable nappies full time too!!! Thankfully we only use them at night.
    It doesn't help that the bins are almost half the size of the other bins (recycling & green waste).....

We generally have about 2 shopping bags of rubbish a week (we mostly use re-useable shopping bags but for the times we forget we save them and use those for our rubbish). We only have a small bin and that barely fills it about a 1/4 full. We generally only put the bin out every fortnight in the hope that if everyone did the same we could save petrol on the number of trucks driving around collecting.

We have a huge recycling bin that is collected fortnightly but we used to only put it out monthly till we joined an organic veggie co-op so we get a cardboard box every week and that fills the bin up.

We have a regular sized green bin and that is collected fortnightly. When we're good with weeding that is full all the time.

We also compost, use cloth nappies, avoid excessive packaging.

What irritates me is that our rates are going to go up to include the new federal landfill levy for all this rubbish being collected and I know we're not the ones with all that rubbish- we would only fill our bin every month!

ours is usually about half full, but the recycling is always overflowing by the time the collection comes round. I seriously think that the council need to collect the recycling once a week same as the normal bin. I try and hang onto the recycling when the green bin is full but I just piles up so much that end up putting some of it in the regular bin which I absolutely hate.

Our green garbage bin is usually 3/4 to full
    Recycling bin is full (fortnightly collection)
    Food scraps either go to the chickens or the dogs

We have 2 rubbish bins and 2 recycling bins, but often only put out one rubbish bin a week. Food waste either goes to the dog, or to my compost bin, I recycle everything I can, although I do have the twins in disposable nappies most days. I don't use tampons, and buy meat from the butchers, veggies from the greengrocers, etc, to save on packaging so that has cut down on our rubbish a lot.

It varies - the week DH is home there is slightly more, the week he is away there is sweet FA lol

Usually I put the bin out every third week, it is a full sized wheelie bin, and the recycling is collected every fortnight, which it is always out for.

The bon gets a bout a quater full every week, but goes out usually every third depending on the smell lol
    We have a compost bin though, so almost all the scraps go in that, but the meat scraps go in the rubbish.

Our recycling bin, 240litre is full every fortnight and I often have left overs to go in the next week, still getting rid of boxes from moving last year

Our rubbish bin, is only a 140lite bin, and we rarely fill it, and I missed last weeks bins and this week it was full, but it was two weeks worth and I have been doing some sorting out.

Cloth Nappies have made a massive difference to our bin use, we only use I dippy a day as we haven't found a night nappy that will last DD yet but it still makes a huge difference

We need to buy a compost bin as that will cut our rubiish down even further.

We may be able to recycle more but there are a few thigns I am not certain about and they end up in the normal rubbish

Our rubbish bin is normal 3/4 to full (would probably be a lot less without the nappies) Our recycling is generally around the same 3/4 - full. However the people next door (3 adults & 2 kids) Always have their bins overflowing & they dont bag up gabage & it ends up blown onto our front yard. They also have another garbage bin & 2 recycle bins (go no idea where they got them from, probably stolen, knowing what they are like) overflowing in their garage that they never put out.

My small rubbish bin is full each week.

My big recycle bin is almost full every fortnight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12