Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: blastocyst transfer

dream bub Guest

Default blastocyst transfer

Hi Ladies,
    I am due for an EPU on Friday morning. Saw doc for scan on Monday and could see about 13 follicles - blood test showed Estrogen at 18000 after day 8 of Puregon. He said this was high, definately much higher than my previous cycles and he's concerned that I will end up with OHSS Ive had this before after an EPU of only 9 eggs, last two Stim cycles I ended up with 20 eggs which was great - but only 3 fertilised to Blasto's- I prefer to go with Blastocyst transfers as my gut instict tells me my bub will have better chance of implantation. Just wondering if anoyone else does blastocyst transfers and wether growing on to day 5 means you lose some that may have otherwise survived inside of me if they had a day 2 transfer??

I feel good about Friday - but seeing the doctors nerves about OHSS I am now feeling a little nervous myself. :eek:

Hi Shaz,

Its a tricky one i know. Im always tossing up day 2, Day 3, or blastie. as i have done all of them. I did fall pg on a day 3 and a blastie but sadly lost both very soon after getting my BFP. I guess its a hard one to tell really as we can always live our lives by what itf's (god i do it every day!!). I think you have to talk it over with you FS as they are the best to advise you, and with you history with so many eggies but unfortunate not too manyto blastie then they may recomend day 2,3. Some one explained to me that it is better to put one in than to not and if you go all the way to blastie than there may not be that chance.

My current Fs perfers to do day 2 which i would perfer day 3. but i will go with what they recomend.

I hope you are able to discuss this freely with you DH, FS and mayb a counciler before you make up ypur mind

Good luck and wishing you all the best

It really depends on the doctor that you speak to because many of them are different. I know certain clinics only do blasties and others prefer 2/3 day and charge extra for blasties. I think there is evidence that both can be successful. For me, I always have blasts because I have a large drop off at day 3 - that is on day 3 last cycle, for example, we went from having 19 fertilised to 5. So I figure had we put one of those other ones in - seems to me it wasnt going to make it - if that makes any sense?

But really each to their own and girls in here have had success with each option so I really dont know for sure - you just have to be comfortable with it yourself, I guess...

As for OHSS, make sure you are really resting - I mean minimum movement and drinking lots and lots of water. I had a level of 38,000 2 days before OPU and 24,000 2 days before OPU the next time and didnt get OHSS. Although I was very sore and very tired! Hang in there, rest, drink and GOOD LUCK!

dream bub Guest

Hi Girls,

Thnks for the support.

Keen - I know exactly what you mean about the Blasts, I tended to think that those that dont make it in the lab wont make it inside of me and maybe you go thru the 2week wait for nothing, because it was all over just a few days after transfer (plus both of my BFP's were from Blasts - nothing from day2). ANyway - thats what I used to think, but lately as always before a transfer I worry about losing them all by waiting for day 5 Blasts........ Anyway I do like to hear of other experiences and measure that with the Doc's recommendation..... SO thanks heaps

Lou - thanks for the good advice, sorry to hear about your two losses..... I will wait to see how many I get tomorrow and if I am lucky enough to get 20ish then its proabbly worth the rick - anything less and I will likely go day2 (assuming thats the doc's recommendation). :hugs:

It really is nice to have others that

Dream

I would ask for some to be stored at 2 - 3 day and if you want blasties as well. I feel first time with DS on day 2 EMBRYO and he is 9 months now. I just had my last blastie ET and it did take but was Ectopic. So I would store as many as you can as lost of ladies fall with both types. Its harder to freeze blasties and as you would know not all make it to that.

All the best

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Shaz,

I've just located a thread about this that I started ages ago in archives. Will try and bump it for you.

ETA it's here if you wanted to have a read.
    Last edited by sushee; November 11th, 2006 at 09:27 AM.

dream bub Guest

Hi Girls,

Thanks Missy - good advice. I fell pregnant off my last blasty, but lost him at 10 w. I also had a cancelled FET as the last blasty didnt thaw well.

Just got in from hospital and feeling OK, had some pain last night but so far OK today. We got 14 eggs and doc rang this morning to tell me 10 had fertilised which is far better than my normal %.

Sushee - will go and check that thread now.

Thanks ladies XX

Awww Dream well done. Nice lot of Eggs. Are they going to freeze day 2-3 and blasties or just 2-3 or just blasties. Id try maybe what ever you can get. I hope I get lots next year when we go again. GOOD LUCK HUN!!! let me know how you go. ok ?

excellent news on the 10 fertilised! Hoping that they all grow nicley. Sending you much babydust!

dream bub Guest

HI Missy - I called clinic again today (day3) and great news - there are still 10 embies all 8 cell at this stage. Going for a day 5 transfer and praying that there is no drop off over the next 48 hours. Despit the fact that this is my 7th full stim cycle I feel quite positive about this one. It feels like there has been just enough progress every cycle, so hopefully I can go all the way this time. It certainly is nice to have a few extra angels praying and sending baby dust!!

I am starting to feel a little fragile from the EPU, but I have the luxury of being able to work from home which is great. So ive taken eveyones advice and am drinking lots of water (though sometims I think thats what makes me feel so sick????).

I will start sending some positive vibes thru for u for next year.

dream bub Guest

Hi Sushee - Forgot to mention that I visited the acrhived thread you mentioned which was very useful, i then also spent some time on various web sites some quoted.

It's clear there are a varying number of opinions on what's best and no doubt there will continue to be useful arguments for both sides. I decided to stick with blasts for this cycle and am comfortable (But praying all the same) that we will have some great little embies left for freezing ........

dream bub Guest

Thanks Daisy - our posts must have crossed over. I will do my best to make sure the baby dust is well used......

Hi Dream

Wow thats so great. Im so happy for you and for all the ladies here doing IVF as I know how it feels to want a child so much. Let me know when your in your TWW and Ill do some praying for you.

I hope all goes well and the little bubba's stick like glue to you.
    Sending you lots of and lots of

All the best DB - thats a really good fertility rate and even bettrer news that they have hung on so long... wishing you all the very best of luck for this cycle - hoping number 7 is lucky for you!

By the way, one thing I did to make myself feel a little better about drinking all that wtare was to add a tiny bit of Ribena to it, which somehow made it feel not so heavy on my stomach...

dream bub Guest

Hi ladies,

Well I had my ET today - 2 perfect little blasts. So i am officially in my 2ww now. Also still had 3 morellars left which I have to check 2moro to see if they make it to balsts. So fingers crossed there too.

Keen- tahnks for suggestion on the Ribena, I got some today and it is a little better. Also find that room temp water is better than cold?

Feeling good ....

Good luck in your TWW Dream bub - well done on having two blasts transferred. Both my bubs began as blasts and stuck first go. Be strong, it's such an emotional 2 weeks. for some wonderful news at the end of it.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Sam & Joel were day 6 blasts - my other 2 cycles (1 fresh & 1 FET) were day 2 and only 2 (out of 6) of my day 2 embryos survived thawing (but poor quality after losing cells and BFN). I didn't have any blasts left to freeze.Lucky I didn't need to.

I wanted to wish you the world of luck ... I hope this cycle is the stickiest yet .

I hope you have some awesome news for us in 10 days or so - keep us posted.
    Last edited by Baby~amore`; November 16th, 2006 at 03:48 PM.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Charlie was a blast transfer too. One of 2 blasts transferred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast