Thread: Human Growth Hormone & miscarriage

Default Human Growth Hormone & miscarriage

Hi everyone

When I visited my FS yesterday she told me about some amazing results NGF in Sydney are having with human growth hormone, HGH, with reducing miscarriage rates particularly in older ladies. Apparently 6 doses of HGH prior to pick up has resulted in a 5 fold increase in the number of pregnancies. Unfortunately HGH is not covered by medicare and the 6 doses will cost $360. At this stage we are going to try it with our next flare, hopefully next cycle.

Has anyone else heard about this or had experience with it?

Cheryl

wow wonder if this can be used with FET's

PP i would assume that it would be used prior to EPU as this is when the eggs are maturing - it may add to the maturation process of eggs for additional success. as your embies are already on ice, i'd guess it wouldn't change anything as the embies are there, and the HGH isn't going to aid in implantation

decided to google before i posted, so as to not make a fool of myself if my assumptions were wrong...

Some evidence that growth hormone before IVF may improve pregnancy rates for women who have had unsuccessful IVF attempts in the past
    Before starting an vitro fertilization (IVF) cycle, some women need help to ovulate. Growth hormone (GH) therapy is sometimes used in women who do not produce enough follicles in their ovaries. This aims to reduce the use of gonadotropin therapy to stimulate ovulation, a hormone that can cause multiple pregnancy. The review of trials found no evidence that growth hormone helps improve birth rates in women who are undergoing ovulation induction prior to IVF. However there is some evidence of increased pregnancy and birth rates in women who have a history of poor response to IVF. More research is needed.
    i guess the bolded bit would be what they're looking at in cases like Chez's - low egg/embie count - but the embies are stronger...

Definitely not something those of us with PCOS need!

I have a friend who also uses NGF. Opposite situation to me - struggles to get enough eggs. She uses saizen while stimming, and from what I can make out through google, this would be the drug they are using. It's definitely a during stimming drug, not something that's going to help with frozen transfers.

BW
    Last edited by butterfly_warrior; April 12th, 2008 at 02:11 PM.

so with regards to the fact that i need a trigger to 'o' even on a FET this would still not help?

I have read that it helps with o although your quote suggest that it does not improve chances with women having OI

PP, it acts by improving egg quality so that they are able to form better embryos. There's nothing that can be done to improve the embryo quality once they are created.

Using it for a FET would help improve the egg you ovulate during that FET, but it won't have any bearing at all on the embryo that's put back.

BW

i've interpreted that info the same as BW - it might improve the quality of the egg you ovulate during that cycle, but it would mean you'd have to "catch" that egg naturally and have it implant for you - from my understanding of your situation PP, that isn't possible. it won't alter the quality of your embryo's that are already on ice - nor your chances of them implanting...

i think for Chez's situation, it makes a lot more sense. she might get few eggs, but there is a higher chance of those ones taking. for those of us with pcos, it is highly unlikely to make a difference (dammit!!)

Hi ladies

Thanks for your comments. I am really hoping that they HGH is just the thing that we need this time around.

PP - sorry that it looks like it won't help your situation.

Take care all
    xx