Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: IVF with PGD #4

Wow Kmn - three years!

Was your linked marker prob similar to mine or other issues? It's a frustrating issue and hard to explain to people... so much time just to get to the front door!

Very similar, except that in my case there were very few suggested linked markers in the literature, and the first round of test development tried the two they thought were most promising and came up with neither being useful.
    That was heartbreaking - essentially the first clinic had a test that was only maybe 80% reliable, and so they wouldn't let us use it. We thought that reducing the chance of having to make the very very difficult terminate/take the risk decision from 50% to 20% was well worth the effort, but they disagreed. Then the scientists at the other clinic found some more papers and thought that there were another couple that were worth a shot - and actually came up trumps with a 95+% reliable test.
    Amazingly we were successful on our first try of PGD/IVF - I'm sending the same vibes to you!

The way I explain it to people is like this: you can only take one or two cells from an embryo to test. So the first step of testing is to put the DNA from those cells through a process like a photocopier, to make enough DNA to do chemical testing on. And then you hunt the dodgy gene in this larger sample of DNA. If you don't find it then there are two possible reasons - the embryo doesn't have it (yay!) or the "photocopying" process didn't work (not yay....). The markers are things that they can look for to check that the photocopying process worked, since they are near the affected bit of DNA and are the same in both parents so they should always be there.

All the best for the next couple of weeks - it will be incredibly upsy-downsy. The nurses and counsellors at the clinics are wonderful at this time - I'm pretty sure I nearly drowned a couple of them!

Hey Kmn.. wow what a big journey you had to get to the IVF.. damn linked markers I will talk about you when people are getting annoyed at the time it took

It's so funny the stories you come up with to explain... mine is:
    The DNA test is like the map that took you to where your friend lives but when you get to the street you realise you forgot to write down the house number. You tell your husband to drive up the street to see if you recognise the house - only problem is the same builder made houses in this street and two of them look exactly the same - then suddenly you see the red letter box and remember your friend's house had a red letter box.

The red letter box is their way of differntiating between the strands of DNA..So funny as soon as I tell that story to my grandma, mum co-workers etc everyone goes "ohhhhhh yeah I see'

They took out 17 eggs today so that's a good start.

Feeling a very sore but doing ok..

Hope you are all having a positive day

Onja - I lurk in here sometimes. Just wanted to say that 17 eggs is great - good luck with all the testing.

Onja-i am praying the test's they ordered from America work for us we were told somtime's it can take a few go's to get the right one but we were told they have our marker's already as they got mine and DH DNA and our daughter's liver sample and done the DNA testing week's ago as they new the DHCR7 gene was the faulty gene so it's a matter of if the test they ordered work's i am praying as we don't have time to wait with age and this medicare rebate b#@*#*#t is putting the pressure on.

And way to go with 17 egg's my last ultrasound i had 15 follie's so i hope i get a good number like you.

Shucks thanks for the support guys

ferrals - you got the linked marker so that's great. If like mine the DNA from U.S. was without problem.. (except when Monash sent 'extracted' blood instead of whole blood and they had to re-send). Hopefully you will get it back soon. I also was told I had lots of folicles so hopefully a good sign for you too

Unhappy BT Results

Evening ladies,

How are we this evening? Hope all is going well with everyones cycles etc. Hope were not feeling too sore, bloated moody etc lol.

Yesterday was day 12 of my 10units of Lucrin Injections as well as day 3 of my Puregon Injections 175 IUs. Today though was BT day for my Puregon levels. Got the call this afternoon and must admit, am a bit disapointed. I know I shouldnt be but I just cant help it. The lovely nurses called and let me know that they had the BT results which showed that my body is responding slightly to the Puregon Injections but not as much as they had hoped it would of at this early stage. They have spoken with my FS who had asked that I up my Puregon from 175 to 200 per day. Am a bit disapointed at the result and that my body isnt responding too well. Is this a sign of things to come maybe???

So tonight was my first at 200IUs. Fingers crossed my body jumps to attention and reacts appropriately.

Next step, keep taking the 10 units of Lucrin each day, keep taking the Puregon now at 200 IUs and then this Friday, off for US and BT again!.

When I told DH he assured me that all would be good and also let me know that I worry about too much lol.

Onja - Hope your feeling much better. Congratulations and WOW on your EPU. Havent experienced EPU myself as yet but I agree, plenty of rest and fluid is in order for you.

Sorry for no other personals but i sincerely hope everyone is well and everything is heading in the right direction.

Well best be off ladies. DH is calling to show me something on the other PC.

Default wow

wow finally i might have found my home

Im new to here.. My names is Tracie and im 21. Erm where to start.. i think id fit in here as what i need isnt common.. Im due to have PGD sometime in the near future. I had 4 m/cs over a period of 18 months. I had reacurrent m/c testing last june and found out a year ago i have a chromosome defect. one of my chromosomes are broken and attached itself to another.. Its been nearly 3 years since i started TTC.

Im looking forwards to sharing my journey with you and making some friends

Smile Welcome!!!

Morning All,

x.Star .x - and . I think your definately in the right place here.

Hope everyone is well this morning. Will be sure to pop back in here later.

Have a good day ladies.

Onja and x.star.x. You are certainly in a special and supportive place, here. Wishing you all the best with your PGD journey

Motherhood here I come - the same thing happened to me with my first cycle. The clinics tend to start with a lower dose to prevent overstimulation of your ovaries. There is no standard dose for any woman - we all respond differently. Some FS will not increase an FSH dose within a cycle, so it sounds like you are in good hands

Ferrals, Jo and luvley lurkers

Onja-any new's on the biopsy i'm crossing my finger's for some good strong uneffected one's

Morning ( well it is here lol)

how is everyone? so is there anyone having PGD because they have a chromosome problem? I have a balanced translocation.
    I never thought it would happen to me, i thought id be fine and have a huge family. PGD isnt very big here in the UK, its still kinda new so the sucess rates arent brilliant.

xstarx-Hi i have read a lot about balanced translocation's on PGD site's it is a common reason why women turn to PGD i myself am doing PGD for a SLO gene the my DH and i carry we have had healthy children in our previous marriages but are desperate to have a healthy baby together after we lost our daughter to SLO some of the girl's here might give you some more info.

Well iv got a FS appointment next week, my dr is sending me there because she couldnt figure out how to apply for NHS funding, apparently thats how you do it, but i have a bad feeling about it for some reason like a de ja vu... Iv just got my reminder threw the post with a huge questionaire for us to fill out... i dunno hoping thats a good sign..

Hi all

thanks for the crossed fingers ferrals

Out of my 7 fertilized - 6 have made it biopsy stage but no news as yet about genetic diagnosis...

They are planning on ET on Sat and hopefully will hear tomorrow afternoon

Have tentatively booked in acupuncture for tomorrow and after. Took me longer than I expected to recover from the EPU but feeling better today

Hope everyone is travelling well on their road trips

I was saying in the other thread that every 'good' story has some drama, some laughs, a couple of tears and a lot of hijinks ... so I'm thinking about my duck walking and constipation as some of the comedy relief part

Onja-that is a great result to get that many to biopsy i hope you get a few uneffected embie's so you can freeze some (for back up just in case) all the best for ET i will be thinking of you let us know how you go.

Smile First US and Third BT!!!! Show me the Follies!!!!

Morning all you lovely IVF ladies,

Just a quick post as am running late for work!

Have just experienced my first US and thrid BT this morning. All this not feeling something has been ok. Was worried however seeing the US this morning I know that there is something going on in there.

From memory there was 18 all up. Not sure on the official other stuff at the moment am waiting on the phone call later with all of that stuff. Once I do know, will post the details tonight.

What a relief I suppose. Fingers crossed that the phone call from the Nurse with the results assists the relief to continue ). Have been quite worried because tonight will be the 7th night of FSH Puregon Injections and as yet, I havent felt anything at all. Only thing is that I have a constant dull ache in my head but Im managing that with plenty of water.

Hmmm, best be off but my fingers are crossed and I'm for good news this afternoon as to my progress so far.

Sorry for no personals, will do that this evening when Im back online. Best of Luck to everyone though. I honestly and sincerely hope everything is going great for you all in your own special ways.

Motherhood-sound's promising so far 18 follie's i hope i get a good number when i start my cycle.

0nja-any new's yet on your embie's.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast