Thread: Approx time for a fresh cycle

Question Approx time for a fresh cycle

Hi ladies,

I am currently on a TTC break and looking at starting IVF in the near future. My question is generally how long would it take to go through a fresh IVF cycle from the first app with FS to transfer (just assuming that my body decides to do as it is told with the drugs)?

TIA

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

ktgirl,

as long as you've done all the tests, you should be able to cycle at the very next cycle after your FS appt. If you're down regging, then you would start suppressants (synarel or lucrin) on cd 21 and then you'd have pick up the cycle after. If it's a flare cycle, then you can start stim meds as soon as you get AF and pick up that same cycle.

But if you've missed any tests (I thought I did all but found out we didn't do our HIV screening) then you would have to go do those before you can start.

HTH.

Thanks Sushee for your reply. I am really new to this IVF stuff so I hope you don't mind me asking another couple of questions.

When you say they have to do tests what sort of tests are done (so I can just be prepared). Also I have very irregular AF due to PCOS so my cycle might go for say 80 odd days. Would they normally just wait for you to get AF of would they start you on something like Provera to get you to have a bleed?

Sorry to be a pain

I don't have PCOS, but tests include blood tests for a whole load of things, and of course Semen Analysis for your DH. For me being 'unexplained infertility' i had to have a lap, D&C, Dye studies etc.
    So tests can mean a whole load of things depending on what your scenario is.

Thanks for that. I have already had a lot of tests done like the dye through the tubes & DH has done SA before so hopefully that eliminates a couple of things.

Thanks again.

*las* Guest

Having already been dx with PCOS and the SA done, that's most of the tests anyway.

My first cycle, from the first appointment with the councellor to EPU then transfer took about 8 weeks from memory!

First AF after the councellor, we had to take the pill for 21 days, then started the synarel and then scans to determine when we were ready for the Gonal F injections(took ages too as I also have PCOS - my first 2 cycles were cancelled due to poor response). I took Gonal F on high dosage for about 2 weeks before I got any reasonably sized follicles, finally got to pick up and 2 days later transfer. It was a long cycle, and the first one may be a bit of trial and error to see how your body responds, so be prepared for that too!

Good luck!

Thanks Las for your info. I thought that might be how long it takes. I know what you mean about it being trial and error with the FSH injections. I have been on them before for two IUI cycles and both times my body reacted very differently. My Dr keeps telling me that I have stubborn ovaries because they will only work when they want to and sometimes they just decide not to.

Thanks again everyone.